Which photo sharing service

uncletall

Feb 14, 2010
Bukit Panjang
I might be opening a can of worms here but what is your favorite photo sharing website.

I want to take up a paid plan as I want to put all my pictures online for backup and want to have some control over who can see them.

These are my short list, please expand:
1. flickr
2. picasaweb
3. smugmug
4. zenfolio

flickr is good.

cos if u want to do a flash website... some flash scripts can connect and retrieve the photos from flickr... this way u can save some bandwidth. :)

Picasa for me. Cheaper and I like.

I am not to keen on Picasa as it does not allow me to download the original picture. This wasy it can double as a back up..

Haven't figured out how to only give access to certain people on flickr without them needing to create a flickr account.. Is that possible, picasaweb yes...

me still new to flickr... ermm how to setup categories of photos? :dunno: is it under sets?

yes, sets it is :) create different sets for different 'types' of photos, to categorize them. then go to the 'organize' menu, go to the sets page.. double click the set u want to add photos too, and drag photos from ur photostream directly to that set

I might be opening a can of worms here but what is your favorite photo sharing website.

I want to take up a paid plan as I want to put all my pictures online for backup and want to have some control over who can see them.
based on this flickr will be best.

no limits, fast.

the rest have limits.

but flickr is the worst possible way to showcase your photos, imho.

yes, sets it is :) create different sets for different 'types' of photos, to categorize them. then go to the 'organize' menu, go to the sets page.. double click the set u want to add photos too, and drag photos from ur photostream directly to that set

thanks! :)

based on this flickr will be best.

no limits, fast.

the rest have limits.

but flickr is the worst possible way to showcase your photos, imho.

yoz! actually true only if u showcase your photos directly from flickr...

but if u find those flash scripts... u can actually connects to flickr and display the photos on your flash scripts. but u need to have your own webhosting account + some web design skills. This way can save some bandwidth! haha

I am using DFGallery (free).

Last edited:
it is? how do u mean? i always thought flickr was a great way to get people to see ur photos.. damn

layout damn bloody ugly imho.

super messy. of course there are sets, etc, but the layout on white, is fixed.

of course you can always use it as a hosting for your own domain, and then load the photos from flickr.. but if you talking about just using one flickr site to showcase portfolio without putting in additional work, then i think you'd be better off with pbase or zenfolio. these give much more pleasant looking websites that you can show people.

i generally use flickr as a hosting site, nothing more.. and of course there is quite a community thing going there. but it doesn't really matter, because on flickr there is so much sugar candy coated comments that when someone says your photograph is wonderful, it means as much as a farting noise. of course that depends on the person making the comment, but if it's a stranger, i'd wager you that he's one of those people who float around flickr praising others in the hopes of getting others to praise them back out of some weird reciprocity unwritten rule.. :bsmilie:

after a while you realise that flickr views, comments, faves mean nothing much.

but we digress.

but if u find those flash scripts... u can actually connects to flickr and display the photos on your flash scripts. but u need to have your own webhosting account + some web design skills. This way can save some bandwidth! haha

I am in the midst of setting up my own site hehe. here's some test i done:
http://dennis.aboutlove.sg/index.htm

ah.. yar, i meant on flickr itself.

i too lazy to do layout properly, also too lazy to find own domain name. also don't know what domain to use, i think somehow i should change my user name sooner or later, night86mare is such a kuku name. :bsmilie:

ah.. yar, i meant on flickr itself.

i too lazy to do layout properly, also too lazy to find own domain name. also don't know what domain to use, i think somehow i should change my user name sooner or later, night86mare is such a kuku name. :bsmilie:

lol ok lah your nick not that kuku lah.
:D

cheers, nightmare.. will check out some better sites to properly showcase my photos :)

btw, how is deviantART for photography?

Last edited:
flickr for me, the social part can be great - just have to be clear what you want out of it.

I always got the impression that deviantArt is more for graphic artists/photo manipulators than photographers.

deviantart is like flickr, just that very slow.

and i think the layout sucks as well, but that's personal opinion. very kiddyish. i expect some deviantart lovers to flame me on this soon, oh dear.

yoz! actually true only if u showcase your photos directly from flickr...

I am using DFGallery (free).

Thanks for the tip, will have a look at DFGallery