Which Pentax PnS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
Fresh from Comex and studying the specs on line, I am deviating from the value for money Z10 and considering the W60 or A40. Both f2.8 which is good for bokeh and low light.

W60 : 28mm wide angle. high 1280x720 movie mode (albeit 15fps only). 10megapixel on 1/2.5" CCD. Water proof. Face detection. - $499

A40 : 36mm wide angle. 640x480 movie mode. Sensor shift stablisation! Likely noiser 12megapixel on 1/1.7" CCD. New model, so better ? - $399

Which one would you choose?:think: The W60 is more expensive but also better in most specs except the stabilisation. The A40 hs CCD shift but the W60 appears to rely on digital stablisation..

Will pop by tomorrow evening to check them out again at comex before making a decision.

Fresh from Comex and studying the specs on line, I am deviating from the value for money Z10 and considering the W60 or A40. Both f2.8 which is good for bokeh and low light.

W60 : 28mm wide angle. high 1280x720 movie mode (albeit 15fps only). 10megapixel on 1/2.5" CCD. Water proof. Face detection. - $499

A40 : 36mm wide angle. 640x480 movie mode. Sensor shift stablisation! Likely noiser 12megapixel on 1/1.7" CCD. New model, so better ? - $399

Which one would you choose?:think: The W60 is more expensive but also better in most specs except the stabilisation. The A40 hs CCD shift but the W60 appears to rely on digital stablisation..

Will pop by tomorrow evening to check them out again at comex before making a decision.

I have the A30, which is very good, and the CCD shift stabilisation works very well. The attraction of the W60 for me would be the wide angle not the waterproofing. Given this choice I would still go for the A40 as I am not convinced that the quality of the lens in the W60 would make 28mm equivalent as useful as I'd like. But I would also be tempted by one of the 28mm equiv. competitors - e,g, from Nikon or Canon, although even they have their disadvantages, such as lack of manual control. For wide wide angle with the A40 it's easy enough to stitch if you need a wide landscape shot.

Nice to see a decent-sized Pentax stand at Comex (I was also there yesterday, and had a chat with Kelvin).

Tim

u r a great pentax supported...:bsmilie: we need more pentaxian like u...:thumbsup:

but i will go for the LX3... :kok: myself first...

Yeah, I'm interested in the LX3 too. But for now, my aging OptioS still does its job (as my daughter's toy) nicely :cool:

Are you referring to the Panasonic DSLR-like LX3?
I thought of buying the LX1 previously before I went into DSLR but was turned off by the issues related to its ccd...But I supposed it would be rectified by ver 3 ...:)
In anycase, I am still struggling to decide to get a very good pns as a stand alone when I can't bring the K200D along or a cheap one to supplement it especially for video....argg..:embrass: Will decide by 6pm tonight before comex ends..:bsmilie:

Guess the LX3 is one of the hot P&S in town now.:bsmilie: I too got tempted.:)

Not sure how other people think?. I think the W60 open up a new dimension of photography for water sport and underwater shots. I was actually look for W60 sometime back. Went to MScolor @AMBhub last weekend and they simply said, "we don't carry pentax."

I just got back from UK. And I was surprised to find W60 there as I couldn't find it in Frankfurt. Without much hesitation, I bought it at 170pound without any freebies. Haven't got much time to run much shoot with it yet. So far, I find it good for a PnS. Its rugged built is sturdy enough for day-to-day abuse. Of course, this W60 won't be as slim as the other compact out there. But its pretty lightweight and easy to carry about. Freedom to shoot, without any worry for rain or shine.

cheerss..

Well....somewhere in the middle I decided to upgrade to a new camera rather than buy a cheaper one for my kid (naturally he inherits my current fuji v10 what comes with games built in!;))
I shortlisted to 2 models now and its not the W60. My primary criteria is it must be small and capable and the W60 is a tad too big for me, plus I do not need the water proofing.
The 2 shortlisted models are the Sony DSC-W120 and the Pentax S10.
Both have similar specs but the pentax wins on :

1. Larger CCD size (1/1.8), lower pixel density, hence lesser noise @ 10 megapixels. The sony has 7MP but a smaller CCD (1/2.5).
2. Slightly faster at the telephoto end (f2.8-5.4) as opposed to the sony's (f2.8-7.2)
3. Much smaller and handy size makes it a great video cam companion to the K200D..
4. Faster shutter speed and lower ISO of 64 as opposed 100 for the sony.
5. Cheaper (by comex price anyway, $239 vs $349)

The Sony wins on one account though...it has lens stablisation which may be important.
I took a photo using the S10 at low light and ISO 400 and the blur is quite obvious.

If the sony people at comex (aka Cathay Photo) had been willing to drop the price on the last day to $299, I would be playing with the W120 right now OR had I done my homework on the S10, I would not have hesitated and got it at $239 just now too...its really value for money.....:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.