Which OS do you use for Photoediting?

Which OS?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Verre Vrai

I believe this is also the OS you would use for other computing too? :dunno:

Also what software do you use for photoediting?

For those using Linux or Free BSD, there are many open source photo processing softwares around, but which one do you use? I believe most will the the Gimp as it is almost similar to PS.

I am surprised with the MacOS results, thought there are Mac users here ??? :dunno:

Actually MacOS is best for photo editing not juz because for the gamma setting for MacOS but also the speed is optimised for graphics editing.

But no many ppl would buy a MacOS juz for editing.

Using Win??? or Mac wouldn't make a difference for simple photo editing :devil: in effect there are no advantages of using either.. only that using Win would be cheeper cos of the availability of non-official copies... not to say that everyone does it :D

I would love to use Linux or FreeBSD for image editing, but colour management in these OSes leaves a lot to be desired. If MacOS-X had been out when I bought my PC, it would have been a Mac. Now it's a PC with Win2K.

RAM RAM!! Need lotsa ram to do fast image editing & processing. Ideally 512MB and above. And to support above 256MD ram, you need an NT based OS like WinXP, Win2000. Win98 only supports up to 256MB, any excess will be ignored.

I've read somewhere that Mac monitors are properly colour calibrated and optimised for use with Photoshop.

Used NT OS. Yes Mac is for PhotoShop. Windows still can made it. Not a problem. Just you need some good software plug-in will do.:kiss: :kiss:

I think it comes down to the quality of the parts used.

I moved from a PC laptop to a Mac laptop,
the mac laptop's screen is definately better. It is able to display more colors... something like that.

when I was on my PC no matter how much I try to calibrate it, I can't get it to show as much colors as I can see now.

I edited a photo using my PC and I displayed on my friend's MAC, I'm able to see so much more shadow details, as in overall, the range is better.

As for speed, I don't think there is any advantage, I believe PC would probably still be better in terms of cost/performance.

Because MAC have control over the hardware, they are able to maintain quite a good control over the monitor parts. Photos will appear very similar across different macs. Which is probably why there is better color conformanity, but still there is a need to calibrate the monitor.

Other than that, mac's are just plain cool :p hehehe

You must have spend a lot of money on the mac laptop's. For my position, i like PC becaused they can try out my 3rd party plug-in softwares. I used a lot of plug-ins. Rather Mac had control a lot of things. Can't realy try any 3rd party.

Originally posted by rueyloon
II moved from a PC laptop to a Mac laptop,
the mac laptop's screen is definately better. It is able to display more colors... something like that.

when I was on my PC no matter how much I try to calibrate it, I can't get it to show as much colors as I can see now.

I edited a photo using my PC and I displayed on my friend's MAC, I'm able to see so much more shadow details, as in overall, the range is better.
Thats primarily because Mac monitors default to a gamma of 1.8 and PC monitors default to a gamma of 2.2 - so pics on the PC will always look darker and have less shadow detail than the same pic on a Mac (info is there, but just not displayed). If you set your PC monitor to Gamma 1.8, you will be able to see the same shadow detail as the Mac. FYI, my laptop LCD is set to Gamma 2.0 as i found Gamma 2.2 a little bit too dark.

FWIW, if you use hardware calibration and set identical gammas on both PC and Mac monitors, the image will be identical, if not very very very closely matching. So, statements like Mac monitors better than PCs don't hold much water with me ;)

Other than that, mac's are just plain cool :p hehehe
Have to agree with you here - just love the new widescreen iMac.

New widescreen iMac. Yes in did. Very cool. If is on making own DVD or using iDVD 2, the whole screen looking like 16:9 format.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.