Which one you prefer if given the same price?

Which one will you choose?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

godaikyoko

May 7, 2009
Hi all,

After so much research and broswing the forum for months, i still not so sure which is the best package for me.

If both given the same price which one will you choose and why?

1. Canon 500D with 18-200IS Lens
2. Nikon D90 with 18-105VR

Read so much on the net, and most conclude that D90 is a better body... but Canon 500D given with better Lens.... headache..

Can you guys give me more advise on this?

Thanks,
Alan

Just something that you may like to take to consideration:

• D90's Video does not AF
  • D90 can't use phrase-focusing during LV (hence AF in LV is slow)

sorry. quite a noobie.. what's phase focusing.. don't mind i ask :)... apologizes

got it.. thanks anson :)

If Live view is important to you consider the Sony A350 or the newer A330. ;)

True, but since it the TS's post he is consider the two package I did not mention the Sony A3xx series.

OT: It is "strange" why Sony did not release a dslr with video function even they have the Quick-AF... :dunno:

True, but since it the TS's post he is consider the two package I did not mention the Sony A3xx series.

OT: It is "strange" why Sony did not release a dslr with video function even they have the Quick-AF... :dunno:

Not quite possible to have video with current Sony's implementation of fast AF liveview. It's a trade off, you have to pick between an useful liveview vs almost useless liveview + video.

Not quite possible to have video with current Sony's implementation of fast AF liveview. It's a trade off, you have to pick between an useful liveview vs almost useless liveview + video.

Useless or not is subjective.... it is when you need it then you would know.

With Sony LiveView implementation, it is possible for them to do video if they don't go HD..

... on the net, and most conclude that D90 is a better body... but Canon 500D given with better Lens.... headache..

actually D90 is a better body, and 18-105mm is a better lens

Hi all,

After so much research and broswing the forum for months, i still not so sure which is the best package for me.

Read so much on the net, and most conclude that D90 is a better body... but Canon 500D given with better Lens.... headache..

Thanks,
Alan

Firstly, I would like to ask y u consider canon's lens a better lens? because of the zoom factor?
2ndly, most of us do not stick to 1 lens. when u buy a camera, u dont buy it because it comes with a better lens. cause inevitably u will purchase more lenses for your camera body.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Alan[/QUOT

I was actually considering D90 (1688) ,D5000 (1410) and both with 18-105 VR lens. I was also considering canon 500D (more on that later). Logic told me to go with D90 for another 250 bucks as the review here from the forumers were just over whelming. Looking at the specs, D90 was definitely the better choice, with more dedicated buttons and the build definitely felt better. However, when I held the D90, it felt too big and uncomfortable for me ( I have small hands for a guy), and D5000 felt just right, and DSLR being in the teens stage at most, (although I am tempted to say toddlers stage), the 1 year or so advancement in technology that the D5000 has over the D90 was considered.

Moreover, for me personally, since young, camera=Nikon, Nikon=Camera:bsmilie: I knew I just had to get a Nikon to satisfied that part of my childhood.

Sorry I deviated a bit, but what I am trying to say is, besides being an equipment for serious photography, a DSLR is aso a "Toy", so make sure you are comfortable playing with it.

Besides looking at the spec, also have to listen to your heart, because this part is where all the pleasure comes from.....enjoy:p

I would say go for the D90. (No offense to Canon users)

But u may wanna look at ur budget too.

TS, maybe u could try out the grip and weight.
Its the feel of camera. :p

have you ever wondered, that the poll is inaccurate?

most of us here would have only used either system. they will not have used both and done comparisons enough to know which is actually better in this or that or anything.

D90 users will say D90 is the way to go. Canon users will say 500D is the way to go.

So who is saying the right thing? People from the bigger camp wins?

if you ask me, both are as good. from very reputed manufacturers. go for the one which suits your hands the most, cos your hands will be holding it most of the time. and consider what lens you will be using. primes, or zooms? or will you juz use the kit lens and stick with it forever? Canon has a wider variety of lens. Think bout this also.

in terms of picture quality, both will be the same. so at the end of the day, its up to the person behind the viewfinder to make those pictures.

dont blame the camera if you cant get your pictures.

Don't see how the canon 18 to 200 to be a better lens.
Usually in most cases, the bigger your lens range, the lower image quality you get.
They are just more convenient. I usually go out with just a prime and a 17 - 50 lol. Don't have any lens that goes pass 100mm lol

Firstly, I would like to ask y u consider canon's lens a better lens? because of the zoom factor?
2ndly, most of us do not stick to 1 lens. when u buy a camera, u dont buy it because it comes with a better lens. cause inevitably u will purchase more lenses for your camera body.

yeah... i understand that ... but i don't think i will buy another lens so fast :p
so would need a lens that last long enuff

thanks for all the input guys... it help me a lot

Apart from the advice here, you can visit some of the shops to try out the cameras, see which one is the most comfortable to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.