Which one to get? EF17-40L or Sigma 17-70 Macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canonikon

Jan 27, 2007
Getting a wide zoom lens and saw a couple of them for sale in BnS. My Budget is $1k, I have never use both of these lens before, currently still using kit lens. The Sigma is half the price of the Canon, any diff in them of pic quality? I have read a few reviews on both lenses and was surprised that the Sigma 17-70 was given quite high grading. I am now leaning towards the Sigma. Any opinions? Will like to heard. Thank you.

Do check the Tamron 17-50 f2.8............New around $680

I've used the Sigma 17-70mm before.. I must say is a very versatile lens. Its is wide enough for landscape shots, long enough for portraits shots and the short focusing distance is very good for macro shots. Its is a very good walk about lens, produces sharp picutres. Price is reasonably, U can use the remaining of the $1K to buy some other stuff like prime lens or flash.

I've used the Sigma 17-70mm before.. I must say is a very versatile lens. Its is wide enough for landscape shots, long enough for portraits shots and the short focusing distance is very good for macro shots. Its is a very good walk about lens, produces sharp picutres. Price is reasonably, U can use the remaining of the $1K to buy some other stuff like prime lens or flash.

ok, did you own the lens? what reason made you sell it? I am just wondering.

Recently tested both these lens.
Considering that you are replacing your kit lens, then you should go for the 17-40L.
It would be a substantial upgrade.

I would get the sigma 17-70 as a starting lens if got a camera body only.

ok, did you own the lens? what reason made you sell it? I am just wondering.

The power of the Canon L lenses!:lovegrin: and also for most of the time i am shooting at 70mm end for the sigma, I need something with a longer focal length. Replaced the sigma with a 24-105.

Never use the 17-40 F4 before so cant really comment.

If u r relatively new to photography, the 17-70 is good lens to learn yr shooting style. From there on, maybe u can change lenses to suit yr shooting style. Saw some pple selling in the BnS section at reasonable prices, wont burn yr pocket too much. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.