Which one should I go for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

estronutz

Feb 14, 2006
星尬波
I'm using a Powershot S80, I think i've meddled with it long enough and I think I'm going to jump into DSLR. However, I'm still contemplating between Canon and Nikon.

Nikon D80 kit
SB-800

or

Canon 400d kit
430EX

I shoot mostly street and thinking about doing some portraits. I foresee myself getting a 50mm 1.8 in the near future...

Also, what are some of the other items I should get ah ?

Dry box
Battery grip?

What bout those lens hood and stuff ?

Can anyone please advice? I'm a little lost here... Thanks !

Join the nikon family. But if you have a budget constrain, you might one to consider the SB 600 instead, and without battery grip. As for dry box, go get a digital dry cupboard. Its not expensive and you will be needing it. Kit comes with lens hood, so no worries. Just remember to get a filter for the lens.

My advise is to just get either the

1) D80 Kit
2) 400D kit

Skip the speedlite...use the cam for a while then decide if you really want the speedlite.

My personal views...no offence to Canon 400D user.

Canon really bad when it comes into battle with the D80. The 400D main complain that I have is...why the grip so small...LCD panel on top of the cam is replaced by the LCD preview screen...which I think does no good for egronomic. It just does not feel right when you need to peel off your eye to view the info. Yes, the info is also avaliable in the viewfinder...but I dun like it cos you need to take your eyes off to re focus on the info...dun like it.

Good thing I find about Canon over Nikon

More lenses....optics have a slight edge....CMOS sensor better than Nikon CCD.

But I can overlook over these....cos I dun need that many lenses...and quality is not that much diff. So I op for the D80 cos it feels right....and for me that is important.

That is my personal opinion only....take it as a gauge....but dun be sway by it.

Anyway...welcome to the realm of DSLR...it simply rocks !!

Join the nikon family. But if you have a budget constrain, you might one to consider the SB 600 instead, and without battery grip. As for dry box, go get a digital dry cupboard. Its not expensive and you will be needing it. Kit comes with lens hood, so no worries. Just remember to get a filter for the lens.

Hmm... mind enlightening me on the usage of a filter? I've heard of it ...

My advise is to just get either the

1) D80 Kit
2) 400D kit

Skip the speedlite...use the cam for a while then decide if you really want the speedlite.

My personal views...no offence to Canon 400D user.

Canon really bad when it comes into battle with the D80. The 400D main complain that I have is...why the grip so small...LCD panel on top of the cam is replaced by the LCD preview screen...which I think does no good for egronomic. It just does not feel right when you need to peel off your eye to view the info. Yes, the info is also avaliable in the viewfinder...but I dun like it cos you need to take your eyes off to re focus on the info...dun like it.

Good thing I find about Canon over Nikon

More lenses....optics have a slight edge....CMOS sensor better than Nikon CCD.

But I can overlook over these....cos I dun need that many lenses...and quality is not that much diff. So I op for the D80 cos it feels right....and for me that is important.

That is my personal opinion only....take it as a gauge....but dun be sway by it.

Anyway...welcome to the realm of DSLR...it simply rocks !!

I tried handling the D80s as well as the 400D, I think D80 provides better handling, cos my hands aren't that small.

but how does it compare ... say 400D with grip? Should be okay right ?

As for speedlite, i think I mostly shoot indoors.. I'll need that right ?

Get the 30D with grip, 580EX and 17-40 f/4L. This lens will satisfy both your street shoot and portraiture needs. Only thing price may be a bit high. U don't have to worry abt lens hood cos all L lens provides the hoods.

If you're lost, then I think you should be asking "why do I need a DSLR?" instead of "which one should I go for?"

Good advice :thumbsup:

I think the TS has gone through this dilemma. But most importantly, feel the camera and find out how comfortable you are. Take a few test shots and see whether you like what you see but also remember that you can improve and the camera will give you better shots.

And then, without much thinking, BBB :devil:

Good advice :thumbsup:

I think the TS has gone through this dilemma. But most importantly, feel the camera and find out how comfortable you are. Take a few test shots and see whether you like what you see but also remember that you can improve and the camera will give you better shots.

And then, without much thinking, BBB :devil:

If you're lost, then I think you should be asking "why do I need a DSLR?" instead of "which one should I go for?"

hmm i think i got a lil misunderstood on the word lost... haha I was wondering is there anything else I should get to protect the equipment or did I miss out anything... There seems a lot of things to me

But thanks ya :) Can see where you're coming from

personally, i use filters to keep my lens scratch free, which is a UV filter. the only filter i do use for its intended purpose is a ND filter.. usually used to take sunsets or pics with high contrast between the sky and foreground..

as for which cam, i'd say canon cause the cmos sensor has excellent noise control. and the L lenses gives good colour.. don't need to worry much about colours being flat. good generally walk-about lens is the 24-105 F4 L IS USM.. but.. they're pricey la. if you're not constrained by a budget then go for that lens and the 30D.

flash not that important cause street you don't really want ppl to know that their picture is being taken.. thats what i personally feel..

I tried handling the D80s as well as the 400D, I think D80 provides better handling, cos my hands aren't that small.

but how does it compare ... say 400D with grip? Should be okay right ?

As for speedlite, i think I mostly shoot indoors.. I'll need that right ?

Ok, the build in flash on the D80 is quite ok for normal shots like family shots etc...up to you...if you think you need a flash...go ahead. But if it was me, I will use the build in one to see if I can live with it or not.

For grip...just try out the models and see how lor...

Nikon made in thailand n Canon made in Japan.... Nuff said ;)

Learn as u shoot. No point getting so many things in one go. It's better that u see what u'll need then buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.