Which one should i get? Fujifilm XT1 or sony a7ii?

Muhd Danial Kamal

Jan 14, 2013
singapore
Hi guys i need your opinions on which camera should get? Cause I can't really made up my mind between this 2.

Trying to make up my mind in whether i should a xt1 or a7ii?

Would be a great to read on ur opinions.

Probably you might want to elaborate more on what features or genre of photography you are looking at so that the bro/sis can advice accordingly...

Probably you might want to elaborate more on what features or genre of photography you are looking at so that the bro/sis can advice accordingly...

I need a smaller camera but great quality for streets and i can also use it when i'm doing weddings

Both are equally competent...what are u confused or hesitant about?

Sori first time using this
Please make yourself familiar with the forum rules before posting. Check your email account that you have used for subscription.
It also helps if you just browse existing threads (especially the sticky ones on top of the thread list) to see which frequent questions have been answered already (hint: FAQ).

Get both.

sell the one u don't use much

What lens or lenses you prefer (focal length, zoom or fixed, aperture )should be the 1st consideration.
The tricky part of mirrorless, is it is small but some lens u prefer may be huge.

Hello! I was facing the same dilemma as you a while back, trying to choose between the Fujifilm XT-1 or Sony Alpha 7. I actually deliberated for many, many months (close to one year) until the XT-1 silver graphite edition came out! The 7ii wasn't out at that time. I eventually went with the XT-1 and am extremely happy with my purchase. These are my reasons and hopefully they can be useful to you:

1) As a hobbyist, I shoot in JPEG and don't have time to process RAW files. The Alpha 7's colour processing for JPEGs straight out of the camera does not seem to be as good as Fujifilm's according to reviews I read online. In fact, one of the cons listed for the A7 by dpreview.com was that it is not for predominantly JPEG shooters. That worried me somewhat as I shoot JPEGs. Can't be happier with the XT-1 with it's colours for JPEGs straight out of the camera. Very little adjustments needed from me. Saves me a lot of time so I can focus on shooting. You can take a look at some of my shots here with the XT-1: http://www.500px.com/fengtography

2) Coming from a Canon EOS system, I know how important lenses are to complement these camera bodies. The only lenses that interested me for the Sony Alpha 7 were the Carl Zeiss 35 and 50mm. Again, if you read some online reviews, the Sony kit lens (like the 24-70) do not bring out the full capabilities of the full-frame A7, which to me is quite a waste. You need good lens to really bring out the capabilities of a good full-frame camera. I tried the 50mm at the Sony Store, and it was not wide enough for me, so I hesitated buying it there and then. My personal preference is to use 35mm for street photography. The 35mm Carl Zeiss is f2.8, compared to the Fujinon XF23mm (35mm equivalent) which is f1.4! That's like FOUR TIMES more light which makes a whole lot of difference in street photography, especially in low light conditions! If you want to do street photography at night, being able to open the aperture up to f/1.4 versus 2.8 makes a world of difference! The XF23mm is tack sharp wide open at f/1.4.

3) Lens line-up: Fujifilm has come up with a really nice line-up of X-mount lenses that are really high quality, comparable with Canon L-lenses WITHOUT the price tag. Coming from Canon, I know again that unless you pay thousands of dollars for L-lenses, there is nothing for the mid-range hobbyist. They have low end, basic cheap lens that are quite dismal, nothing in between, and L-lens at the top end costing thousands and more each. All of the Fuji lenses are going to give you Made In Japan, L-lens quality without the price tag. The Fujinon XF23mm f/1.4 retails for around $1000+, give you top quality shots that I can't tell apart from any of those I made with my Canon L lenses. No distortion, tack sharp even wide open, terrific colours. Fujinon has been making lenses for TV film cameras for years, and their experience shows! On top of that, all the Fuji lens are priced very decently for what you get. Sony does not have a complete line-up of lens at this moment with comparable quality. As I mentioned, the Sony branded lens do not bring out the full capabilities of the full-frame camera. Even the XT-1 kit lens (18-55mm) is excellent quality for a kit lens.

4) The Fujifilm XT-1 and almost all of the XF lenses are made in Japan. The quality and handling is terrific. You get a lot of camera for the money.

5) The Fujifilm XT-1 is the only camera on the market right now with separate control dials for shutter speed, ISO, aperture (on lens) and exposure compensation. No other camera has separate dials for doing these manual exposure. If you want to do streets or weddings, I think you need to be able to adjust camera settings on-the-fly, or see what settings you're on at a glance. The XT-1 allows me to do that by just glancing down at the buttons but the Alpha 7 cannot. I used a Sony RX100iii for a while and all the settings were buried within the camera.

6) Frequent firmware updates - Fujifilm is the the only camera manufacturer that releases firmware upgrades that add / improve upon features of their existing cameras. From what I've observed they really listen to their users. Having used a Sony RX100iii for a while (it was an excellent point and shoot camera), I do not agree with the direction Sony is going in. Maybe they are too big a company to care. Sony forces you to buy accessories which should have been included right in the box. If I'm not mistaken, the A7 is the same case as the RX100iii. After paying so much for the camera, they expect you to pay EXTRA for an external charger so you can charge the battery OUTSIDE of the camera!?!? Another case in point: The $4000 Sony RX1 expects you to pay over $500 to get a separate EVF!?!? I cannot put my faith and trust in a company that fleeces its consumers for more money. Needless to say, a company that does this will not release firmware upgrades to improve the functionality of their existing cameras. When you buy a camera, you're really making an investment into a camera system. If the company changes the system you're effectively stranded, thousands of dollars down the drain. Sony has so far not demonstrated any commitment to assure photographers about this.

I always thought my next camera would be a full-frame... but as I mentioned, I would trade full-frame for all of the pros listed above. I haven't been disappointed so far, and in the short time I've been with the Fuji system I've bought 4 lenses (18-55, 23, 35, XC50-230), all excellent in quality... even the so-called more budget XC lens is amazing.

If the above reasons resonate with you, I think you wouldn't be disappointed! Again, full-frame vs. non full-frame becomes a moot point if you really look at the photographs the XT-1 is able to take: http://500px.com/fengtography

One is a full frame one is a cropped factor. One is 24mp one is 16mp. Not too sure if you would need a full frame for streets. You can try the XT1 at Fuji showroom in Funan, that was good enough for me to make up my mind. You can also try the a7ii at the sony showroom in the same mall. Nothing beats a hands-on experience. Also, you may probably want to consider a road map of what lenses you will need and whether each line-up can provide the lens which you would prefer. While many will tell you they use the JPEG in Fuji, I do use the RAW on Fuji mainly, so everyone's advice will be different.

Hello! I was facing the same dilemma as you a while back, trying to choose between the Fujifilm XT-1 or Sony Alpha 7. I actually deliberated for many, many months (close to one year) until the XT-1 silver graphite edition came out! The 7ii wasn't out at that time. I eventually went with the XT-1 and am extremely happy with my purchase. These are my reasons and hopefully they can be useful to you:

1) As a hobbyist, I shoot in JPEG and don't have time to process RAW files. The Alpha 7's colour processing for JPEGs straight out of the camera does not seem to be as good as Fujifilm's according to reviews I read online. In fact, one of the cons listed for the A7 by dpreview.com was that it is not for predominantly JPEG shooters. That worried me somewhat as I shoot JPEGs. Can't be happier with the XT-1 with it's colours for JPEGs straight out of the camera. Very little adjustments needed from me. Saves me a lot of time so I can focus on shooting. You can take a look at some of my shots here with the XT-1: http://www.500px.com/fengtography

2) Coming from a Canon EOS system, I know how important lenses are to complement these camera bodies. The only lenses that interested me for the Sony Alpha 7 were the Carl Zeiss 35 and 50mm. Again, if you read some online reviews, the Sony kit lens (like the 24-70) do not bring out the full capabilities of the full-frame A7, which to me is quite a waste. You need good lens to really bring out the capabilities of a good full-frame camera. I tried the 50mm at the Sony Store, and it was not wide enough for me, so I hesitated buying it there and then. My personal preference is to use 35mm for street photography. The 35mm Carl Zeiss is f2.8, compared to the Fujinon XF23mm (35mm equivalent) which is f1.4! That's like FOUR TIMES more light which makes a whole lot of difference in street photography, especially in low light conditions! If you want to do street photography at night, being able to open the aperture up to f/1.4 versus 2.8 makes a world of difference! The XF23mm is tack sharp wide open at f/1.4.

3) Lens line-up: Fujifilm has come up with a really nice line-up of X-mount lenses that are really high quality, comparable with Canon L-lenses WITHOUT the price tag. Coming from Canon, I know again that unless you pay thousands of dollars for L-lenses, there is nothing for the mid-range hobbyist. They have low end, basic cheap lens that are quite dismal, nothing in between, and L-lens at the top end costing thousands and more each. All of the Fuji lenses are going to give you Made In Japan, L-lens quality without the price tag. The Fujinon XF23mm f/1.4 retails for around $1000+, give you top quality shots that I can't tell apart from any of those I made with my Canon L lenses. No distortion, tack sharp even wide open, terrific colours. Fujinon has been making lenses for TV film cameras for years, and their experience shows! On top of that, all the Fuji lens are priced very decently for what you get. Sony does not have a complete line-up of lens at this moment with comparable quality. As I mentioned, the Sony branded lens do not bring out the full capabilities of the full-frame camera. Even the XT-1 kit lens (18-55mm) is excellent quality for a kit lens.

4) The Fujifilm XT-1 and almost all of the XF lenses are made in Japan. The quality and handling is terrific. You get a lot of camera for the money.

5) The Fujifilm XT-1 is the only camera on the market right now with separate control dials for shutter speed, ISO, aperture (on lens) and exposure compensation. No other camera has separate dials for doing these manual exposure. If you want to do streets or weddings, I think you need to be able to adjust camera settings on-the-fly, or see what settings you're on at a glance. The XT-1 allows me to do that by just glancing down at the buttons but the Alpha 7 cannot. I used a Sony RX100iii for a while and all the settings were buried within the camera.

6) Frequent firmware updates - Fujifilm is the the only camera manufacturer that releases firmware upgrades that add / improve upon features of their existing cameras. From what I've observed they really listen to their users. Having used a Sony RX100iii for a while (it was an excellent point and shoot camera), I do not agree with the direction Sony is going in. Maybe they are too big a company to care. Sony forces you to buy accessories which should have been included right in the box. If I'm not mistaken, the A7 is the same case as the RX100iii. After paying so much for the camera, they expect you to pay EXTRA for an external charger so you can charge the battery OUTSIDE of the camera!?!? Another case in point: The $4000 Sony RX1 expects you to pay over $500 to get a separate EVF!?!? I cannot put my faith and trust in a company that fleeces its consumers for more money. Needless to say, a company that does this will not release firmware upgrades to improve the functionality of their existing cameras. When you buy a camera, you're really making an investment into a camera system. If the company changes the system you're effectively stranded, thousands of dollars down the drain. Sony has so far not demonstrated any commitment to assure photographers about this.

I always thought my next camera would be a full-frame... but as I mentioned, I would trade full-frame for all of the pros listed above. I haven't been disappointed so far, and in the short time I've been with the Fuji system I've bought 4 lenses (18-55, 23, 35, XC50-230), all excellent in quality... even the so-called more budget XC lens is amazing.

If the above reasons resonate with you, I think you wouldn't be disappointed! Again, full-frame vs. non full-frame becomes a moot point if you really look at the photographs the XT-1 is able to take: http://500px.com/fengtography

1) i agree with you. Fuji JPEGs are awesome. but on your link, you need to work on your composition. your camera's fantastic, but you also need to train yourself up to get a better shot. which film simulation modes are you shooting in? you should try some of them

2) f2.8 to f1.4 is just two stops of light. and if you throw in the smaller sensor, you're missing one more important thing which is the depth of field

3) lenses have been announced and are on their way. once again with the old argument: will you buy all the lenses?

4) my lenses are made in thailand. some in russia from the early 20th century. lenses are not everything about photography. skill is more important. there are many people with expensive lenses who can't take a photo to save their lives.

5) wrong here: the A7II comes with front and back dials, and the rear wheel controls the ISO. if you haven't used the A7II, be honest about it.

6) i think you're taking this way too personal. use what you need, not what people say you need. buy what you need, not what people tell you that you need. some people are comfortable with charging in-camera. and it's a boon to be able to do so. i've charged my Sony camera battery in-camera via a mobile battery pack and it's quite a life-saver

like what Nitewalk said, try both cameras and buy what you like. it's very obvious you're not being very objective here and are trying to force TS to get the X-T1. i almost got it too as a backup to my A7R, but didn't in the end because of personal preference. but i'm not forcing people to buy a camera here based on my personal feel, right?

1) i agree with you. Fuji JPEGs are awesome. but on your link, you need to work on your composition. your camera's fantastic, but you also need to train yourself up to get a better shot. which film simulation modes are you shooting in? you should try some of them

2) f2.8 to f1.4 is just two stops of light. and if you throw in the smaller sensor, you're missing one more important thing which is the depth of field

3) lenses have been announced and are on their way. once again with the old argument: will you buy all the lenses?

4) my lenses are made in thailand. some in russia from the early 20th century. lenses are not everything about photography. skill is more important. there are many people with expensive lenses who can't take a photo to save their lives.

5) wrong here: the A7II comes with front and back dials, and the rear wheel controls the ISO. if you haven't used the A7II, be honest about it.

6) i think you're taking this way too personal. use what you need, not what people say you need. buy what you need, not what people tell you that you need. some people are comfortable with charging in-camera. and it's a boon to be able to do so. i've charged my Sony camera battery in-camera via a mobile battery pack and it's quite a life-saver

like what Nitewalk said, try both cameras and buy what you like. it's very obvious you're not being very objective here and are trying to force TS to get the X-T1. i almost got it too as a backup to my A7R, but didn't in the end because of personal preference. but i'm not forcing people to buy a camera here based on my personal feel, right?

Now now... Who is taking it personally here by calling names and offering uncalled for advice such as "you should work on your composition", when the point of posting the link wasn't to ask for critiques? :) Also, what do I have to be "not honest" about? I have mentioned that those were my personal reasons for choosing the XT-1, and hoped they would be useful for the thread starter.

Last edited:
kei1309, if you disagree with what I have written or think the thread starter should choose the Sony over the Fujifilm, you are welcome to post your own list of reasons instead of resorting to (and stooping so low as to) make personal attacks.

Last edited:
Relax folks. Each brand will have their own followers and to each their own. It is human nature to want to think well of what you use, and if you like what you are using, naturally you will sound more inclined and "biased" if i may say. In the end, you would realise this is something common all over the world too. Of course, there are more objective opinions. For me, I like to read biased opinions on top of objective ones, as I want to know as well what people like so much about the tool they use too. Each has its own place in my consideration. Of course, this being a newbie corner, it may get a little misleading for newer photographers. I think that could be one concern that kei has. Frank is very passionate about Fuji, which I must say is a common trait in many of the Fuji buyers/sellers.

In the end, we should not over-concern ourselves with TS's decision. Even if you choose the "best" camera, it may or may not suit you. Even if you rent it, it may not be extensive enough, if it isn't for a prolong period or intensive usage, to tell if the setup suits you for most if not all situations. We can only do our best to offer our 2 cents worth and hope that TS makes a wise and informed choice while respecting the opinions of one another. Cheers!

It's friday lah :bsmilie:

Passion is one thing. But when writing to forums people tend to read more than what is actually written. Just another example here.
Therefore: read the facts, respond to facts, leave your ego somewhere out there. It might be tricky for some, but it's definitely worth doing so.

Just to add on to Nitewalk's post.

kei1309, we can see that you are very passionate about Sony, and feel that Frankyang's remarks against Sony are too "personal". I would suggest that you remain objective and refrain from making unwarranted and off-topic remarks against Frank, such as the composition of his photos, or his honesty.

It's way too early in the year to be embroiled in brand wars. Let's all stay polite and objective in our posts, and keep newbies' corner a useful resource for newbies.

Reactions: nitewalk