Which one should I buy D700 or D610?

Aug 26, 2014
I need some advise on buying a FX camera. I'm mostly shoot weddings but the problem is I'm using a DX D7000 and I'm planning to upgrade to a FX camera. An I'm on a budget. Can anyone help me ?

P.S. I'm aware the pros and cons for both DSLR.

D700 no dual memory slot. A big no. Pls budget for a fx len too. If not better to stay on dx and use better dx prime

D700 no dual memory slot. A big no. Pls budget for a fx len too. If not better to stay on dx and use better dx prime
Sorry, forgot to add. I'm also considering to get a tamron 28-75 f2.8 or a nikon 35-70 f2.8 with either camera.

2875 af sucks in low light.

Get d610 or d600. Newer technologies r always better

2875 af sucks in low light. Get d610 or d600. Newer technologies r always better

Kinda guessed but what do you think of the nikon 35-70? An how does the D610 perform in low light?

D700 is good too. Many wedding photographers use it previously and many awesome images are created with it in the wedding industry. No one complained about not having dual card slots back then.

Both cams will be ok for wedding. For D700 you can save a lot more and use it toward better lenses.

If you are serious about wedding photography and making a living from it, go for the Nikon 24-70 or at least a Tamron 24-70VC at least.

Kinda guessed but what do you think of the nikon 35-70? An how does the D610 perform in low light?

Later the guru will answer ur question.

For me, d610 can have useable pic at iso 6400 below and it's goin to be a noticeable diff compare to D7000.

Get a tamron 24-70 F2.8, the review is pretty good n price is much more affordable compare to nikkor

35-70 is a great lens. Small light weight heavy hitter. The only drawback is the awkward focal length range which is a tiny bit narrow. Some folks cannot handle the push pull zoom of this lens. For the money though you can't go wrong IMO.

As far as the this versus that thing...if you can't get a good wedding picture with a D700 then you need to get a new hobby. Also the D7K is a very capable wedding rig. The 700/7000 combo is very nice. One thing you may like about the 610 are the controls which are very similar to the controls of your 7000.

Again we come across that age old axiom in photography. Get the best glass possible. Which in your case means looking at FX as opposed to DX lenses. Which is another very important thing to consider with your move to FX.

Lastly, DX to FX is not always an "upgrade", it is just another format.

Last edited:

Frankly, I will stay away with 35-70 range, it is neither here nor there, especially during the dinner. I will suggest you can a wider angle, like 24.

I'd top up to get a Nikon D750, but between the 2, I'd go for the older D700, as I prefer the 51 point AF.

I only have a $1500 budget. I was thinking I should get D610 and use my DX lens( I only have 1 which is a 50-150 2.8) and the rest I'll shoot with my primes.

I only have a $1500 budget. I was thinking I should get D610 and use my DX lens( I only have 1 which is a 50-150 2.8) and the rest I'll shoot with my primes.

if you are shooting the money, it is better to spend the $1500 in marketing to bring in more customers, spend $1500 on gears will not bring in extra customers, beside, that wasn't enough to upgrade DX to FX.
but if you are not, than please ignore about my suggestion.

The camera is only going to do so much for you. It is the glass that means everything. Good glass for FX is expensive. With 1500 budget I would start on the very best FX glass and just use the D7000 for now or maybe do some marketing as suggested above. Once you have the glass then save your dollars for the body upgrade that you want and need not just the cheapest FX available. At your level you should probably know all of this by now. Glass is almost everything. Don't fall prey to the I need the latest FX camera body because everyone else has one syndrome - this leads to insanity.

Last edited:
Wedding photos involve wedding dinner pic, indoor pics where ur iso may easily go up to 6400, though u can use flash but places like churches or hotel restaurant have high ceiling, which u have problem to bounce the light.

Latest full frame dslr will definitely perform better in noise control with a good glass to reduce the f stop.

Try use a d90 and take pic at iso6400

Wedding photos involve wedding dinner pic, indoor pics where ur iso may easily go up to 6400, though u can use flash but places like churches or hotel restaurant have high ceiling, which u have problem to bounce the light.

Latest full frame dslr will definitely perform better in noise control with a good glass to reduce the f stop.

Try use a d90 and take pic at iso6400

Didn't realize this. But hor how those wedding photographers shoot before this new technology kick in? Were they using iso6400 film?

Didn't realize this. But hor how those wedding photographers shoot before this new technology kick in? Were they using iso6400 film?

Can wild life photographers take pic of flying eagles using manual lens in the past?

Can housewife wash the clothes n clean the floor in the older days with washing machine n vacuum cleaner?

Does ppl in the past lost their way without gps?

So will u buy a street directory or gps? U understand what i meant?

Can wild life photographers take pic of flying eagles using manual lens in the past?

Sure they can. And they did.

Technology makes things easier, sure. But back in the day without such technology, photographers will still get the shot, just that they have to think more to get around the problem. Photographers nowadays are getting lazier and less willing to use the matter between their ears.

I have young junior photographers getting angry and screaming that they cannot do the job because they don't have this and that in place. As photographers, one of your biggest job is to problem solve to get the shot. I let them know this concept of course, before I fired them.

Last edited:
Sure they can. And they did.

Technology makes things easier, sure. But back in the day without such technology, photographers will still get the shot, just that they have to think more to get around the problem. Photographers nowadays are getting lazier and less willing to use the matter between their ears.

I have young junior photographers getting angry and screaming that they cannot do the job because they don't have this and that in place. As photographers, one of your biggest job is to problem solve to get the shot. I let them know this concept of course, before I fired them.

No wonder u took so many great pics, nv know u r a professional photographer.

I'm just take pic for hobbies n enjoy the pprocess and I sharing through the point of my view. Like I mentioned before, I don't believe modern days photography will use a d40 with kit lens(extreme example) to take pic for wedding.

I always believe good skill+good equipment+good environment = great pic

Like the GPS n street directory example, ppl who rely use street directory in the past can recognize the road better than those who rely on GPS.

Cheers

No wonder u took so many great pics, nv know u r a professional photographer.

I'm just take pic for hobbies n enjoy the pprocess and I sharing through the point of my view. Like I mentioned before, I don't believe modern days photography will use a d40 with kit lens(extreme example) to take pic for wedding.

I always believe good skill+good equipment+good environment = great pic

Like the GPS n street directory example, ppl who rely use street directory in the past can recognize the road better than those who rely on GPS.

Cheers

Being a professional means making money from it. It has no bearing on how good a photographer is.

A good eye + good technical knowledge trumps good equipment every day. Walk into a studio environment be it wedding or portrait, a photo out from a D40x with a kit lens is not too much different from a D3s with a 24-70/2.8. Just the size of the picture is different.

Last edited: