Which one I should I go 550D or 60D?

Roboflame

Sep 20, 2010
Australia
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I want to upgrade my compact camera to DSLR.
At first, planning to buy 550D. But now 60D is out and available in singapore.

Can you all help me which one is best for begineer? Which lens I should go first? :):)

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I want to upgrade my compact camera to DSLR.
At first, planning to buy 550D. But now 60D is out and available in singapore.

Can you all help me which one is best for begineer? Which lens I should go first? :):)

As usual (for most newbie question), you leave us not much to help you with... For example, what do you like or want to shoot? Have you read up much on 550D and 60D already? If not, go grab some reading material from the Canon showroom, search the net for some extensive reading. Also, what experience do you have with compacts? - Some just use compacts for fast-no-brainer snap shoots while there are others who fiddle with the ISO settings, macro modes, other fine tunnings to get a better shot. For the former, a mid range DSLR could be a very steep jump! As for the latter, at least the basic photographic concepts are understood and it helps lessen the steep learning curve of the DSLR.

Lastly, welcome to CS! ;)

I like to shoot mostly landscapes and potrait. :)

I already review about that two cameras on dpreview.

Acutually, I didn't have much experience yet.

I like to shoot mostly landscapes and potrait. :)

I already review about that two cameras on dpreview.

Acutually, I didn't have much experience yet.

No experience/understanding/knowledge with ISO settings, Shutter speeds, aperture size/setting, Depth of field, etc? It's better to start reading up on all these first if you lack experience.

Which PnS camera are you using now? It might help.

Also, all the stickies thread above this forum are there to help with newbies, gone through all of them yet? :)

Actually u can get either one : )

Seriously tsk tsk. Both are fantastic. Maybe u can look at ur budget liao haha.

I suggest you try renting a 550D first and see if it's suitable for you. No point spending all that $$$ (and remember, you need to factor in a dry cabinet as well) if you don't know what you're doing and will only be disappointed with the results because it's too complex for you.

Welcome to CS . . .

both are great camera . . . see how your budget can stretch . . .

compare spec to spec and see which you prefer . . .

For a start, I think the 550d is good enough. It's cheaper, smaller and lighter and that's important because in the beginning you should bring the camera out as often as you can. If it's too big and heavy you tend not want to bring it for casual outings.

My advice would still be go down to the showroom and have a complete hands-on feel with all the DSLRs there. Since the showroom is there why not make good use of it?? I wouldn't recommend either model no matter how good they are... this is based on what experiences TS have to begin with (still hard to gauge for any sound recommendations now). That said, I wouldn't even recommend D90 or D7000, nor K-7, nor Sony A55, etc...

:)Thanks to you alll..

All of your information are useful for me...

Thank A lot

Depends on wat u need.

I chose e 550d instead of 60d as i prefer not so complex camera. Lighter weight too.

Both dslr uses e same lens except tat e 60D which has a kit 3 for e 18mm to 200mm lens.

Afterall, the lens is able to change.

The main thing is the functions of the body.

If you are serious about photography, I suggest you don't buy the beginner model cos after sometime if you sell you loss money.
Suggest you think seriously about it and once you decided to take up this hobby go for a mi range camera body that can last you for some years. The Lens (Glass) is the critical item and not so many people changing the body so buy Canon D60, D7 or Nikon D90 or D300 that my advise.

For lens, go for a basic 18-105 etc and explore before buying additional.

Happy shooting and welcome to CS.

Hi, my personal opinion is for you to get the cheaper of the 2, infact you might want to consider buying the 2nd hand sold in B&S section. My rationale is simple, both the camera 550D or 60D is a jump for you, so either of them should be able to satisfy your learning need to use a DSLR and both can take beautiful pictures. (like they always say, its all about the photographer, not the gear) To get a cheaper camera among your choice is because there are example of people who took the jump to DSLR and then gave up and start selling their camera here in CS. I hope you are not one of these people and even if you are, a cheaper camera or a 2nd hand one will minimize your losses. :dunno:

Hi, my personal opinion is for you to get the cheaper of the 2, infact you might want to consider buying the 2nd hand sold in B&S section. My rationale is simple, both the camera 550D or 60D is a jump for you, so either of them should be able to satisfy your learning need to use a DSLR and both can take beautiful pictures. (like they always say, its all about the photographer, not the gear) To get a cheaper camera among your choice is because there are example of people who took the jump to DSLR and then gave up and start selling their camera here in CS. I hope you are not one of these people and even if you are, a cheaper camera or a 2nd hand one will minimize your losses. :dunno:

Yeah.. I also thinking about that buying 2nd hand camera... But I do not know how to find a best second hand camera.. And also the price they offer is nearly with retail price.

If you are serious about photography, I suggest you don't buy the beginner model cos after sometime if you sell you loss money.
Suggest you think seriously about it and once you decided to take up this hobby go for a mi range camera body that can last you for some years. The Lens (Glass) is the critical item and not so many people changing the body so buy Canon D60, D7 or Nikon D90 or D300 that my advise.

For lens, go for a basic 18-105 etc and explore before buying additional.

Happy shooting and welcome to CS.

That's why. I don't know which one to choose. Because when I compare 550D and 60D specs. They is a slight difference only. Can you help to explain abit?

My budget is only 2K. I cannot go 7D although I want to.

Thanks for ur advice ...

if the difference is really that minute.. what's left
now is which one u prefer to hold more? which one
are u wiling to spend on? is the price difference worth it?

That's why. I don't know which one to choose. Because when I compare 550D and 60D specs. They is a slight difference only. Can you help to explain abit?

Thanks for ur advice ...

id advise getting the 550d and a good lens. you dont need the higher FPS from the 60d from your given shooting preference.

and are you kidding me? the 550d and 60d have slight difference?

Then Ok, I sell you mine alpha A300 with kit lens 18-70mm @$350:)

BTW... I also thought that 550D and 60D has minimum difference... 60D got higher FPS, bigger body, the tilt screen, flywheel, $340 difference for body only, etc...

Am I correct to say that 60D has better AF than 550D? I read somewhere it can focus better if using F2.8 and below... Now I cannot find where I read this info from... haha!

Thanks for ur advice ...
A lot of newbies have the intention to buy their first and only DSLR, but that 'dream' often never comes true. Some reasons:

1) Buying a DSLR is sort of like buying a car. It's quite a personal choice. You buy one, use it for a while, THEN you figure out what it is you're missing when you test drive some others. So you make a switch, or a few :) Thus you never quite buy one and stick with it!

2) There's always the itch to 'upgrade' once you buy a DSLR, like the current craze for FF sensor and HD movie mode, although most would never need such capabilities.

TS, just buy what you can reasonably afford. Set aside budget for other extras like dry cabinet, lenses, filters, etc. For $2K budget, I think intermediate DSLR is out of the the question.
At most you should spend $1.4K (out of your $2K budget) for DSLR + lens, leaving you (barely) sufficient budget for the other items.