which olympus compact digi-cam is worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiongster

Jul 14, 2004
hi all,

i'm not a photographer. i just wanna have a camera really light and slim enough for me to sling around every day for snap shot of whatever catches my eye. which olympus compact digi-cam will you recommend?

shutter lag is one of my major concerns. light and bulk too. need to be able to blow up to at least 5R (how much megapixel will i need)?

thanks all in advance for your kind attention.

chiongster said:
hi all,

i'm not a photographer. i just wanna have a camera really light and slim enough for me to sling around every day for snap shot of whatever catches my eye. which olympus compact digi-cam will you recommend?

shutter lag is one of my major concerns. light and bulk too. need to be able to blow up to at least 5R (how much megapixel will i need)?

I would recommed the Canon IXUS 500 ! :thumbsup:

chiongster said:
hi all,

The Mju 410 - very short shutter delay, excellent colours. The clam shell design protects the lens well and it's weatherproof so you can take it anywhere with confidence. Small size good for everyday lugging. :thumbsup:

i second kahheng's recommendation of the mju410.

But then again, Olympus doesnt have too many luggable cosmetics digicams.
In fact, these are very much the few available options.

- Mju 300/400/410
- C-310
- AZ-1

Budget-wise, the 310 wins hands down. The AZ-1 boasts almost plasma quality visuals on the 2.5" high contrast LCD. But the hefty price tag slaps too much a premium to make the camera a good buy.

The Mju series has always been pretty decent cams of good built. Metallic body, all weather construction. Nice series of good-lookers to give the ixus family a run for the dough. Performance wise, they are pretty decent as well. Oly lenses always pretty good colour temperatures.

So, it will be the 410. metallic body, all weather construction like i've said.
Continuous movie recording with audio. Good super macro capability. nice palette of preset scene modes. Go have a second look. :)

The price of the mju-410 has recently dropped from $799 to $699. Should be able to get a better street price. Comes in three colours too; Gold, Sky Blue and Ocean Blue.

And now there is a islandwide promotion where every purchase comes with a free 128MB xD Card and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 Software.

http://www.e.olympus.com.sg/web/home/webhome.nsf/vpap/islandwide+promo

Kreyszig said:
i second kahheng's recommendation of the mju410.

But then again, Olympus doesnt have too many luggable cosmetics digicams.
In fact, these are very much the few available options.

- Mju 300/400/410
- C-310
- AZ-1

Budget-wise, the 310 wins hands down. The AZ-1 boasts almost plasma quality visuals on the 2.5" high contrast LCD. But the hefty price tag slaps too much a premium to make the camera a good buy.

The Mju series has always been pretty decent cams of good built. Metallic body, all weather construction. Nice series of good-lookers to give the ixus family a run for the dough. Performance wise, they are pretty decent as well. Oly lenses always pretty good colour temperatures.

So, it will be the 410. metallic body, all weather construction like i've said.
Continuous movie recording with audio. Good super macro capability. nice palette of preset scene modes. Go have a second look. :)

The other thing I like about the Mju digital series is the generally very good battery life from the stock 1080mAh Li-ion battery. Makes for very fuss free use.

I think the camera comes in assorted colours these days. The white one is particularly cool looking. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.