Which notebook computer to buy!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using Sony Vaio with p4 2.6GHz 15" SXGA.....if the LCD quality is the paramount, nothing can go wrong with Sony. Just the the battery life suck big time.....

okok i'll say more....

buy a mac.

I have the ole 15inch powerbook 667MHz... it came with 256MB of ram i just bought 512 and added it myself.... so it is expandable....

I do changes to designs at client meets, sound editing on the bus, video, flash... anything execpt play CS on it thats all...its shiok.. and of cos it looks better than any PC based notebook... dont be fooled by just the MHz on a PC configuration you'll get loads of processing power for half or less of the mac.

aiya... bottom line... it looks good. fujitsu you may say! well is abit delicate... i like to abuse my stuff.... :devil:

:lovegrin:

Great contribution guys.... Never really thought of a Mac. They should be quite expensive right?? OK, the Centrino / Pentium M seems like a good choice. I know PS uses scratch disks.... but if I want mobility, a PC is out of the question.

For Mac users, any concerns with compatibility with PC files like word documents? And also are 3rd party parts available and cheap??

Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming.
;)

Powerbooks are the way to go man.

get the 12inch with superdrive and you'll be on your way

absolutely no problem with microsoft office. Macs are rock stable and SUPER pleasant to use. I switched last may when i needed a notebook to bring overseas. Sold my pc and bought an ibook

Best decision ever.

Macs are so user friendly and keyboard shortcuts are everywhere. Just lovely to use.

Not to mention the gorgeous lcd screens. Puts all pc notebooks to shame

theITguy said:
The reality is seti@home does not stress the harddisk, and PS is a harddisk intensive resource eater most of the time (it uses scratch disk). seti@home is more like a measure of its relative strength in CPU power, without considering some other factors like harddisk, video display etc. Is it a better system than a P4, someone who uses that can only tell us.

True enough, however I also use the centrino in the field for processing Medium Format Digital Scans which are up to 100mb per image in size and it does a sterling job with them (and that my friend is very disk intensive). Disk Speed wise it's not up to my P4 desktops which run a variety of drives depending on the pc (from SATA to raid arrays, ultra-SCSI etc).

to the others re: Mac.

Mac's are a no show guys, not even in the processor race .. that's the bad news.

theITguy said:
The reality is seti@home does not stress the harddisk, and PS is a harddisk intensive resource eater most of the time (it uses scratch disk). seti@home is more like a measure of its relative strength in CPU power, without considering some other factors like harddisk, video display etc. Is it a better system than a P4, someone who uses that can only tell us.

setiathome is not a good realworld measure, it just eats CPU and almost no disk activities. We've had this MIPS war for years, then we switched to TPC-A/B/C etc for more warring :) the days of the big computer companies :lovegrin:

Ian said:
True enough, however I also use the centrino in the field for processing Medium Format Digital Scans which are up to 100mb per image in size and it does a sterling job with them (and that my friend is very disk intensive). Disk Speed wise it's not up to my P4 desktops which run a variety of drives depending on the pc (from SATA to raid arrays, ultra-SCSI etc).

Mac's are a no show guys, not even in the processor race .. that's the bad news.

Hi, thanks for sharing. Good to hear that it works for you. I may need a laptop in the forseeable future :)

As for Mac, people swear by it, people condemned it. To each his own, but I still like software support on PC.

hwchoy said:
setiathome is not a good realworld measure, it just eats CPU and almost no disk activities. We've had this MIPS war for years, then we switched to TPC-A/B/C etc for more warring :) the days of the big computer companies :lovegrin:

gee your a bit late in your post aren't you? See my post above your post for further information :devil:

My dream is the 17" powerbook. damn its a beauty but.......no money. Compatibilty problem? just get Mac office and you are fine. but your PS might need more cash to get. Other stuff, jsut get from open office. off apple website.

FLiNcHY said:
Powerbooks are the way to go man.

get the 12inch with superdrive and you'll be on your way

absolutely no problem with microsoft office. Macs are rock stable and SUPER pleasant to use. I switched last may when i needed a notebook to bring overseas. Sold my pc and bought an ibook

Best decision ever.

Macs are so user friendly and keyboard shortcuts are everywhere. Just lovely to use.

Totally agree with Flinchy here. I got the 12"AlPB with superdrive (DVD-Burner). Added another 512MB RAM. Awesome!!! I used the PS CS and it is very stable. MAC does not hang as it is UNIX based. Speed-wise I would say it is the same as a PC. The GUI is much better than WINDOWS and the new EXPOSE function is a God-send with the new Panther OS. However, the 12" Screen is super-clear and super-sharp. If you want a bigger screen you can hook it up to an external monitor as well.

As for softwares, most or in fact all softwares are now compatible with MAC (there is even MAC office with word, excel, powerpoint) as long as it is not .exe or .bat files and hence, there will be very little viruses on MAC as well. You can check out the mac products from www.apple.com.sg

im all for macs... the ibooks come with the G4 processor and they blaze... upgrade the ram and there you have it... gorgeous... they handle video seamlessly too... and this is refering to a machine with a very basic 4200rpm hard disk. so no worries about photos...

I was using a Dell Inspiron 5150 with a 15" UXGA (1600×1200) but they also have another config with SXGA (1400×1050). Mine had DVD-ROM/CD-RW but can upgrade to DVD writer. P4 3.06GHz, 512MB with the UXGA and DVD-ROM config about $3300, but damn heavy :(

mine also includes a mini-PCI 802.11g 54Mbps card (add $54).

Ian said:

was wondering why you say that macs are a no show in the processor race... are you comparing mhz?

fox said:
Totally agree with Flinchy here. I got the 12"AlPB with superdrive (DVD-Burner). Added another 512MB RAM. Awesome!!! I used the PS CS and it is very stable. MAC does not hang as it is UNIX based. Speed-wise I would say it is the same as a PC. The GUI is much better than WINDOWS and the new EXPOSE function is a God-send with the new Panther OS. However, the 12" Screen is super-clear and super-sharp. If you want a bigger screen you can hook it up to an external monitor as well.

As for softwares, most or in fact all softwares are now compatible with MAC (there is even MAC office with word, excel, powerpoint) as long as it is not .exe or .bat files and hence, there will be very little viruses on MAC as well. You can check out the mac products from www.apple.com.sg

Hi, for viruses wise, it is more of the user than the software. I did not get any infection from viruses which I need to format my computer since I used computer, apart from my first PC which do not have an antivirus programme.

tmc17479 said:
How about Fujitsu? Anyone got experience who their products?

argh, don't buy Fujitsu... it looks damn good.. but the manufacturing is not very good.. As i formerly came from Ngee Ann, which requires the whole cohort to purchase laptops. .you can see which lap tops last the longest ..etc etc..

So far IBM is the best based on performance..workmanship.. though it's way down in design.. i personally own 2 IBM laptops and I love my thinkpads! I havent serviced any of them at all..(it's been almost..3 years already?)

:) my 2-cents worth

Status
Not open for further replies.