Which nikon film camera is more worth it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brenton

Dec 29, 2005
F80? FE2? FM2? F100?

Or any others that is good and affordable?

Kena poisoned when trying out friend's EOS 30....

F80? FE2? FM2? F100?

You might have to give more info about what features you want.

Do you need autofocus?
Need TTL flash? Minimum flash sync speed?
Do you think full manual capabilities (i.e. camera works without batteries) important?
Do you want your current lenses to work with the film body? If so, what lenses do you have?
What's your definition of "more worth it"? Got a budget?

Worth it or not is subjective.
I love my F100, compatible with my slew of AFS/AF/AIS lenses.

Ryan

Hmm i am using 50 1.8 AFD, 18-70 AFS. Intending to buy 85 1.8 soon...

so i guess most of my lens with my D70s would be all the AF?

Hmm i am using 50 1.8 AFD, 18-70 AFS. Intending to buy 85 1.8 soon...

so i guess most of my lens with my D70s would be all the AF?

Summary:
No film camera will work with the 18-70. You may need another lens for the film camera.

If you plan to get full-frame (FX) AF-S, G or VR lenses, consider the F65, F75, F80, F100, F5, or F6. Otherwise, any autofocus film camera will work with the 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 and other AF(D) lenses.

With more explanation:
Sounds like you want autofocus, so the F, F2, F3 and FE/FM series are out. Those are manual focus only.

The 50 1.8 AFD will work on any autofocus camera. It will meter on manual focus cameras too, but with manual focusing only. Likewise the 85 1.8, if you're talking about the AF version. The 18-70 is a DX lens and can't be used on a film SLR without vignetting (see http://bythom.com/1870lens.htm; scroll down to "Performance"). You may have to consider getting another lens if you want wider than 50mm on film.

Your current and prospective lenses aside, there's the issue of G lenses (no aperture ring), AF-S and VR. If you plan to get any of those in future, this list http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html states that cameras that have full compatibility with AF-S, G and VR lenses are the F65, F75, F80, F100, F5, F6.

One more consideration. If you think you'll try the manual focus AI(S) lenses, of the cameras that work with AF-S, G and VR, only the F100, F5 and F6 will meter with AI(S) lenses, and even then only in A and M modes.

Summary:
No film camera will work with the 18-70. You may need another lens for the film camera.

If you plan to get full-frame (FX) AF-S, G or VR lenses, consider the F65, F75, F80, F100, F5, or F6. Otherwise, any autofocus film camera will work with the 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 and other AF(D) lenses.

With more explanation:
Sounds like you want autofocus, so the F, F2, F3 and FE/FM series are out. Those are manual focus only.

The 50 1.8 AFD will work on any autofocus camera. It will meter on manual focus cameras too, but with manual focusing only. Likewise the 85 1.8, if you're talking about the AF version. The 18-70 is a DX lens and can't be used on a film SLR without vignetting (see http://bythom.com/1870lens.htm; scroll down to "Performance"). You may have to consider getting another lens if you want wider than 50mm on film.

Your current and prospective lenses aside, there's the issue of G lenses (no aperture ring), AF-S and VR. If you plan to get any of those in future, this list http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html states that cameras that have full compatibility with AF-S, G and VR lenses are the F65, F75, F80, F100, F5, F6.

One more consideration. If you think you'll try the manual focus AI(S) lenses, of the cameras that work with AF-S, G and VR, only the F100, F5 and F6 will meter with AI(S) lenses, and even then only in A and M modes.

woah...thanks for all the information...
guess it's more of a choice of F80 then....

or...sell away everything and skip to canon and buy eos 30? lol
but i am still very much inclined to stay at the dark side..

EOS bodies can use Nikon lenses with adapters, I think.

If all you want is FF advantage, then D700 or D3 is the way to go.

For AF film bodies, the latest is the F6. Not sure if you can it brand new anymore.

F80? FE2? FM2? F100?

Or any others that is good and affordable?

Kena poisoned when trying out friend's EOS 30....

Last edited:
actually hor on film, the camera body does not make much of a difference

Image Quality, no. (Replaceable 25 Megapixels Sensor!)

But feel and ergonomics are important.

If all you want is FF advantage, then D700 or D3 is the way to go.

For AF film bodies, the latest is the F6. Not sure if you can it brand new anymore.

Lol, if i can afford D700 or D3, then budget would not be a problem liao lor..

other than FF, i think i wanna build up my confidence through film also...

Second the choices. If you want auto focus and affordable, these two are the way to go! The F5 having a better auto focus and metering though. If you want to use manual lenses with matrix metering, the F4 is the one to go for.

The F100 mentioned is also a very good choice; it is basically a mini F5. Similar features in a smaller body with a smaller price.

If you have loads of money to burn, you cannot go wrong with the F6 (apart from burning your pocket) ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.