which monopod stand to buy?

zwowz

Mar 9, 2009
got a tripod but always find it cumbersome and wanna switch to monopod stand.

any good recommendation ?

tripod and monopod function differently,
in what situations you find tripod is cumbersome, and think a monopod is better?

if you can't tell, than consider get a tripod which able to detach one of the legs to use as monopod, else you will bang your head when bring the wrong one or force to bring two whenever you go.

in event where are there lots of ppl i hate to use tripod.
any brand i can go for?

any brand i can go for?

And by what context are you justifying that "there lots of ppl" to reason for using amonopod?

Do you know what a monopod is used mainly for compared to a normal tripod?

How big a lens or heavy a camera setup so weighty that mounting to the monopod to shoot is necessary?

In this age of Vibration Mode (VR or IS or whatever names they call it on other brands), Higher ISO and most importantly knowing good camera holding technique to stablise yourself before pressing the shutter... what are your immediate reasons for having a monopod?

I hope you are not going to say you need the stability as you use your camera like a smart phone to shoot by look at your rear monitor screen to compose your shots & shoot or your out-stretch arms gets too tired.

Frankly, if there are a lot of people, I would hate to even have a monopod with me.

Last edited:
any brand i can go for?

FYI, monopod are use for specific purpose, it CAN'T replace the function of a tripod.

you use tripod when you need to, you don't use tripod when is disallow.

Hate to use tripod is not a good reason.

so in what situation u use a tripod n when a monopod?

for me mainly night shot
or I want smooth motion blur like flowing water.

for me mainly night shot
Ok, I see.

[video=youtube;1KfR8mM4dtI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&hl=en-GB&v=1KfR8mM4dtI[/video]

monopod with tri-leg a good alternative?

for me mainly night shot

You’ve probably seen photos of streams or waterfalls in which the water looked very silky and wondered, “How did they do that?” Well, it’s easy!The process employed to get that silky effect is called motion rendition. If you set your camera with a fast shutter speed, say 1/125 to 1/4,000 of a second, you will usually stop motion. By contrast, if you set it with a slow shutter speed like 1/4 of a second or maybe 1/8 or 1/15 of a second, anything moving very fast will appear blurred in the resulting image. If you photograph moving water at speeds from two to eight seconds you will get very blurred or silky looking water.
Since no one can handhold a camera steady at shutter speeds that slow, you will need to use a tripod. Because you’ll be using a slow shutter speed, you’ll want to compensate by selecting a small aperture like f/22 or f/16 to get the maximum amount of depth of field (sharpness from the front to the back of your image).
Water and rocks often reflect light as glare and adding a polarizing filter will help reduce reflections and deepen the colors. The polarizer will also reduce your exposure by one and a half to two stops which will allow for even slower shutter speeds.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-An...e-pictures-of-water-using-long-exposures.html

First, a Tripod
When there's only a little light, you call on every method possible to make the most of it, and using a tripod is first on the possible list. "You're almost always going to need a tripod," Reed says, "especially for creating selective blur with slow shutter speeds—like moving lights writing their magic lines and shapes." And even with a tripod, to prevent even the slight vibration his finger on the shutter release might cause, Reed often uses the camera's self-timer or a cable release to trip the shutter. "And," he adds, "when you're using a tripod, make sure the VR function of your lens is turned off."
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Article/huayvpnk/night-photography.html

monopod with tri-leg a good alternative?

that is for Video.

[video=youtube;rz7RHQbE4Q8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz7RHQbE4Q8[/video]

if you leave your camera on monopod unattended, you are only asking for trouble.

Last edited:
TS have no idea the difference between a monopod and a tripod... TS you should just go to a store to look at some monopods and tripods.

I have not heard anyone ever done long exposure shots with monopod before, this idea is so creative,
I guess the shots must be very eye opening, can't wait it see this....:)

I have not heard anyone ever done long exposure shots with monopod before, this idea is so creative,
I guess the shots must be very eye opening, can't wait it see this....:)

If tie the monopod to a pole/fence/stationary object, I think still possible to shoot long exposure...
*dig a hole, put the monopod in also works, but SG too many places is concrete pavement, hard to do so :bsmilie: *

If tie the monopod to a pole/fence/stationary object, I think still possible to shoot long exposure...
*dig a hole, put the monopod in also works, but SG too many places is concrete pavement, hard to do so :bsmilie: *

Tie to the pole? What an ingenious idea!! :thumbsup:

I was told SMRT also come out with this clever idea, will go and stock up some cable ties later.

cable_ties.gif

Tie to the pole? What an ingenious idea!! :thumbsup:

I was told SMRT also come out with this clever idea, will go and stock up some cable ties later.

cable_ties.gif

Remember to get penknife or scissors also... need to cut them after use :bsmilie:

TS, I think in short. A monopod cannot replace a tripod completely, and for what you want (night/long exposure), I'll rather bring a tripod along. if really need a monopod, I'll either use 1 of the 3 tripod leg or just dun 'fully open' them.

Even with proper techniques, it will be very tough to achieve long exposure (let's say >15s ), unless you have secured the monopod to a rock solid support which will usually limit your shooting angle/position already.

Remember to get penknife or scissors also... need to cut them after use :bsmilie:

Put a penknife in my camera bag? might asking for trouble if I happen stopped by police and they check my camera bag.... and not to mention if I forget to take out when I check in in the airport.

here is a good alternative, and you can clip your nails while waiting for sunrise sunset. ;)

TNCC_Toe_Nail_Clipper_Curve__98144_zoom.png

Actually most people make things too complicated to oneself, the solution is very simple.

if carrying a tripod for an outing is too troublesome, than just go shoot anything that not require a tripod, since you don't enjoy it, than why bother carry one?

just go and find a subject you find really enjoy to shoot, every parts of it.

it is just a hobby anyway!!

Put a penknife in my camera bag? might asking for trouble if I happen stopped by police and they check my camera bag.... and not to mention if I forget to take out when I check in in the airport.

here is a good alternative, and you can clip your nails while waiting for sunrise sunset. ;)

TNCC_Toe_Nail_Clipper_Curve__98144_zoom.png

Forgot about one of the most useful tool at home :thumbsup:

Yup, I see a thick layer of butter. So, it's either a 'single' pcs of tripod, or monopod + nailclipper + cable tie +++. Seriously, a monopod just can match a tripod. My mentor once told us, if you want quality photo, use a tripod. If you want to safeguard your equipments, use a steady tripod.