which monopod should i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Can someone here can advise me on which monopod should I go for? thanks!

mpenza said:
maybe, you'll want to state what you intend to use it with.

300D or EOS 5 with long lens 70-300mm max?

sumball said:
300D or EOS 5 with long lens 70-300mm max?

sumball, i think wat mpenza meant was wat is your purpose of using a monopod - sports, nature, portraits etc.... different purposes require different equipment. ;)

nightwolf75 said:
sumball, i think wat mpenza meant was wat is your purpose of using a monopod - sports, nature, portraits etc.... different purposes require different equipment. ;)

hahahah u r right!!!

my brain is going to explode liao... satre at the monitor for too long. :cry:

nightwolf75 said:

hahahah u r right!!!

Nature? multi-purpose?

sumball said:
hahahah u r right!!!

Nature? multi-purpose?

think someone asked the same question some time back.

short version - monopods: fast, easy to deploy. excellent for nature or event shooting. but, need to hold properly becos not stable.

tripods: slow to deploy, sometimes very heavy. excellent for low light, grp pics, slow shutter/time lag photography. extremely stable (esp the heavy ones).

I was actually asking what equipment to use it with ;p

anyway, you could consider the Manfrotto 600 series. 679 costs ~$50. There's no head and you need to get it separately. A sub $100 manfrotto ballhead should be able to serve your needs. If your lens has a tripod collar, you could get the Manfrotto 234RC head which only tilts in one direction.

You'll want a setup that's tall enough for your height though, else you'll end up with a backache.

yes, tats y i need to get one cos i find tripod is just my burden sometime.

thanks, going down to CP now. Nightwolf, wanna join?

mpenza said:
I was actually asking what equipment to use it with ;p

anyway, you could consider the Manfrotto 600 series. 679 costs ~$50. There's no head and you need to get it separately. A sub $100 manfrotto ballhead should be able to serve your needs. If your lens has a tripod collar, you could get the Manfrotto 234RC head which only tilts in one direction.

You'll want a setup that's tall enough for your height though, else you'll end up with a backache.

CP quoted me Manfrotto 679 for $57 (max 4kg) and 680 (10kg) for $70. Do you think I should get 680 instead? :dunno:

Appreciate all your advices.

sumball said:
CP quoted me Manfrotto 679 for $57 (max 4kg) and 680 (10kg) for $70. Do you think I should get 680 instead? :dunno:

Appreciate all your advices.

hi, bro! sorry couldn't join u last nite. saw the msg too late... :cry:

best thing is to take ur cam and the heaviest lens ur going to use on the monopod to test. the sales people can talk till the cows come home. but, nothing beats a self-test. ;)

let me know ur choice hor? me also thinking of investing in a monopod. so far, no one seems to be throwing out their pods in a while...

nightwolf75 said:
hi, bro! sorry couldn't join u last nite. saw the msg too late... :cry:

best thing is to take ur cam and the heaviest lens ur going to use on the monopod to test. the sales people can talk till the cows come home. but, nothing beats a self-test. ;)

let me know ur choice hor? me also thinking of investing in a monopod. so far, no one seems to be throwing out their pods in a while...
yes, there were two but grabbed by someone else. lets go down one day. besides CP, do u think ms color is selling too? dun mind ask for me, know u have gud relationship with them ;p .

sumball said:
yes, there were two but grabbed by someone else. lets go down one day. besides CP, do u think ms color is selling too? dun mind ask for me, know u have gud relationship with them ;p .

have to check. why not u try calling them? besides, i might need to go down one of these days. owe them a bit of $$$... :embrass:

fyi - i know they got a good collection of tripods at a good price. but, i never saw any monos... mebbe they store it somewhere else... :think:

nightwolf75 said:
have to check. why not u try calling them? besides, i might need to go down one of these days. owe them a bit of $$$... :embrass:

fyi - i know they got a good collection of tripods at a good price. but, i never saw any monos... mebbe they store it somewhere else... :think:

Let me know when you are going down, let's go together. After this weekend. :D

wah, credit term ah!? VIP? :bigeyes:

sumball said:
Let me know when you are going down, let's go together. After this weekend. :D

wah, credit term ah!? VIP? :bigeyes:

no lah... i wish!

bought a lexar 1GB from them (needed a faster card). short-changed them $20 becos i forgot the quoted price. so, need to pay up the diff lah. this weekend got shoot with EOS500N. let arrange via PM lah, if u can get a price from them?

sumball said:
Nature? multi-purpose?

Think with your lenses, 679 is more than enough already. I am sure it can support a 2kg lens even, this is not the same as tripods. Extend it in the store, press firmly from the top, very difficult to make it slip, specs can only tell you a limited story. Do the levers release quickly and smoothly? How fast can you deploy it? You get the monopod coz you want to move, setup and shoot fast which is impossible with a tripod. Another very impt thing is the technique of holding it.

Pls read this for a better idea. http://www.essence-of-light.com/index.php?Articles/Techniques/14

The Manfrotto 334B "Automatic" Monopod should be ultra fast to setup. Only thing is $$$ (online stores have it pegged at about 75 pounds!) and how stable the thing is (since it uses a completely different locking mechanism).

Anyone own this? Any comments? :D

2100 said:
Think with your lenses, 679 is more than enough already. I am sure it can support a 2kg lens even, this is not the same as tripods. Extend it in the store, press firmly from the top, very difficult to make it slip, specs can only tell you a limited story. Do the levers release quickly and smoothly? How fast can you deploy it? You get the monopod coz you want to move, setup and shoot fast which is impossible with a tripod. Another very impt thing is the technique of holding it.

Pls read this for a better idea. http://www.essence-of-light.com/index.php?Articles/Techniques/14

I tried both 679 & 680. the lever release are pretty tight. i need to pull very hard to release the lever.... :dunno:

thats y i didnt buy on the spot last night but come back to the experts here. :bsmilie:

how about the new manfrotto tripod? :D I mean the NEOTEC thingy? :D:D Seems pretty impressive except for the folded length, which is still around 70cm

Status
Not open for further replies.