Which mode do you shoot in?

icy55

Mar 13, 2011
Hi guys,

I just got my dslr about 2 weeks ago. Just being ambitious, I tried to shoot in manual mode, but it's too difficult.

Just wondering, seasoned photographers like you guys, which mode do you guys normally shoot in? Manual, AV or TV etc. Do professionals always shoot in manual mode?

Cheers!

P, for professional mode ! ;)

But seriously, use the most appropriate mode for the situation. I use P or Av mostly, M sometimes (esp with flash/studio work). Tv not so much. It also depends on the system e.g. with Canon bodies flash exposure is different in P and Av.

Making the choice depends on understanding how the mode affects your results. Most enthusiasts don't use the 'creative' modes (Landscape, Portrait etc) cause we want to be more involved in the decision-making process, and we know how to get the results in M, Av, Tv or P.

try shooting in Auto and examine the settings set by the camera. then u switch to manual and use the same settings, sooner or later u'll understand how it works and know how to set in manual.

And just to add on, how about aperture priority? As i too am new in this i really cant get my shutter speeds right. But im able to play around with my aperture and ISO. Any advice?

What do you mean by "cannot get my shutter speeds right"? Too slow leading to motion blur? In M mode?

And just to add on, how about aperture priority? As i too am new in this i really cant get my shutter speeds right. But im able to play around with my aperture and ISO. Any advice?

yap it's a good idea if u only want to control the aperture esp for f2.8 or f1.4 lenses, at the same time you can set its min shutter speed.

if u wan to set (min) shutter speed, always set it faster than 1/focal legth of ur lens to minimise getting blurred images.

Last edited:
Full manual all the way! =)

baggiolee said:
yap it's a good idea if u only want to control the aperture esp for f2.8 or f1.4 lenses, at the same time you can set its min shutter speed.

if u wan to set (min) shutter speed, always set it faster than 1/focal legth of ur lens to minimise getting blurred images.

Yeah im using a nikon d90. When i switch to aperture priority, my shutter speed is auto calculated. As im still trying to figure out the relation between the iso, apeture and shutter speed. My pics will be underexposed or overexposed if i were to go fully on manual. So im no on semi auto with only the shutter speed on auto.

Edwin Francis said:
What do you mean by "cannot get my shutter speeds right"? Too slow leading to motion blur? In M mode?

Yeah thats correct! Im sorry as im still getting to know the terms.

Sent from my iPhone using ClubSNAP

Edwin Francis said:
@ FuraCelest:

The meter functions in M mode as well -- if you follow it, you should be able to get the correct exposure just as you would in Av mode.

I recommend you read this sticky at the top of the Newbies section:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/309544-Photography-Notes-For-Newbies

Oh thanks alot for the link. As im using nikon my native functions are different than the canon. Were you referring to aperture value when u mentioned Av?

AV mode mostly. Depth of field control most important for me.

Oh thanks alot for the link. As im using nikon my native functions are different than the canon. Were you referring to aperture value when u mentioned Av?

Av = aperture priority mode in canon terms.

Irvine said:
Av = aperture priority mode in canon terms.

Oh ok. Im a nikon user.

I just got my dslr about 2 weeks ago. Just being ambitious, I tried to shoot in manual mode, but it's too difficult.
Just wondering, seasoned photographers like you guys, which mode do you guys normally shoot in? Manual, AV or TV etc. Do professionals always shoot in manual mode?
Doesn't matter whether seasoned or without herbs, professional or still wet: use the mode that you understand and that fits your situation, intention. In addition, do read your manual to understand how these modes work and what the differences are. Not all features / functions are available in all modes or you need to pay extra attention to them. If you don't understand the manual, read the newbies guides here. It helps to keep things simple in the beginning. Cameras are quite smart, they can do a lot of things literally 'out of the box'. Watch and learn.

Yes me too! i get blur or really under or over exposed shots. Somehow in manual mode, my pictures never look as if they were taken using dslr camera. the pictures looked as if they can be very well taken using compact cameras which is kinda disappointing.

Yes! I guess there's a lot of of trail and error involved. Maybe I should start of with the AV or P mode first, then slowly move up the ladder to M!

hmm?

i use the "A" Mode. Auto Mode. therefore i don't have to wrack my brains.

oh and scene modes help too :)

I use AUTO mode on all my cameras. :eek::bigeyes::bsmilie::sticktong