Which Minolta walkaround lenses?

GegeV2

Oct 5, 2009
Hi guys.

A65 user here. Wanting to get a good Minolta lens as my walkaround/midrange zoom lens.

Am "in love" with the IQ and build of these old Minolta lenses.
Currently own the 70-210 f4 Beercan :thumbsup:

Thing is, there's alot of praises for most of the Minolta lenses that I read online.
I have narrowed down my choices to these few. I'm fine with them being not wide enough,

35-70mm F4 "mini Beercan"
28-85mm
28-105mm
24-85mm

I initially wanted to get the 28-135 but seeing that the price is on the high side, and its as heavy/heavier then the beercan, I have put it off my list for now.

So any advice/suggestions?

TIA!

sadly you've remove the lens that I would recommend to you the so called "Secret HandShake" love this lens but like you said it's a bit heavy but not that heavy I find it stable with my previous A33 and extreme well balance on A77 :)

I guess 2nd to 28-135 would be the minibeercan 35-70f4 not tried the rest of the lens you've listed so I cant comment much but you could read some user review and sample pix at A-mount lens database (lenses for Minolta and Sony DSLR cameras) :)

Last edited:
I'm using 28-85mm currently. Its a good lens. It's not expensive and well built. Not too heavy.

My next target is 28-135mm, like what another CS member said, it's one of the best minolta around.

28-105 =) i have 1 for sale..

You should consider the 35-105mm too if not being wide is not an issue.

I prefer a metal body as well, since these are old Minolta lenses I'm worried about zoom creep

I prefer a metal body as well, since these are old Minolta lenses I'm worried about zoom creep

Even metal bodies could have some creep. Strictly speaking, only the 28-85 is metal-bodied. The rest are a mixture of metal and ABS. For walk-about, a 24-85 would be better than 28-85 for APS-C as it is wide enough at 36mm equivalent. It is of course a bit more expensive though. I have both available for sale currently. Let me know if you are interested.

In terms of sharpness, the 35-70mm F4 is probably the best among the 4 but has the smallest focal range. The 28-85 is good between 28 to around 60-70 or so. The 28-105 and 24-85 are better at the wider ends than the tele ends. All 4 should be stopped down to at least F5.6 for best performance.

All of the lenses you mentioned are considered good lenses. Its a matter of going for IQ or for focal range.

Ot, why is it called the secret handshake lens?

Rumors has it that Minolta has a "Secret" deal with Leica on the production of these lense. ;)

i use a 28-75 f/2.8... not bad..

I use 24-50mmF2.8 and 80-200HS for my china trip last year with a850,pictures have post at my FB.

OK, I can't take this anymore.

The term refers to a form of greeting amongst members of a group/fraternity. Only those in the know, knows.

From Wiki... Secret handshake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hehe just head down to Dyxum.com and check for the lens review of this lens should give you a better view what's the capabilities... :)

hehe just head down to Dyxum.com and check for the lens review of this lens should give you a better view what's the capabilities... :)

No need. I used to own one.

No need. I used to own one.

I hardly bring this baby out now a days but once I have another street shoot will bring this for a spin again. :) I think I'll be keeping both this and my beercan... unless I move to another system or stop this expenssive hobby :)

I loved the colours from this lens and it was my main lens for the duration I owned it. It actually was very nicely balanced on the A700. The wider end and shorter MFD was taken care of by my Tamron 17-50.

I'm spared all these back-breaking now that I've moved on to the NEX 5N.

I hardly bring this baby out now a days but once I have another street shoot will bring this for a spin again. :) I think I'll be keeping both this and my beercan... unless I move to another system or stop this expenssive hobby :)

I was in London for awhile and came across a 28-135 FS. It really is top notch, but sadly, out of my budget.

Wondering if a 35-105 would do?

I know I would miss out on being wide though