Which Micro4/3 to recommend

manilaman2001

Jul 19, 2012
Manila Philippines
Which micro 4/3 brands & models would you recommend?  My intent is to use current glass I have. Which would be compatible also for Canon EOS EF lenses? Leica M lenses?

Through the years, glass has accumulated and I am seriously considering getting a body to optimize these glass I have.   It does not have to be brand new.  I'm more concerned about price performance, and availability of adapters. Of course brand new is also an option. Thank you.

Derick 

First off... welcome to CS.

Second, to be exact there are only 2 brands of micro4/3 cameras in the market - Olympus and Panasonic. And none of them are compatible with Canon EOS EF lenses and Leica M Lenses unless you bought yourself an adapter for them. For the Canon EOS EF lenses though, you cannot control the aperture of the camera unless you use an aperture something like the one shown,

Canon EOS EF lens to MFT Micro 4/3 M4: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

However with that adapter it was not really controlling of the inbuilt aperture blade of the lens itself.

For the 2 brands of m4/3 camera, there are quite a few offering in the market at the present,

Olympus

1) OM-D EM5
2) EP3
3) EPL3
4) EPM1

Panasonic

1) GH2
2) GF5
3) G3/ G5
4) GX1

Not sure about the price, you can email the recommended shops (listed in our price list threads) for e-quote.

Third, does it had to be m4/3 camera? If you have lots of Canon EOS EF lenses in your stock, you might want to look at current Canon 650D camera which is actually not too big and heavy and is a very very capable camera.

If not, check out other mirrorless options out there,

1) Sony NEX
2) Pentax K-01
3) Samsung NX20

However I am not sure if the above mentioned 3 models have adapters available to them for fitting of your EOS lenses.

If your intent is to use old glass, then I suggest Sony NEX. No point getting the smaller sensor m4/3 if you are using old glass (which renders your camera system non-compact).

Sony NEX offers a great balance in image quality and size (and price c.f. m4/3) when using old glass. And also, the short focal flange distance for adaptors)

manilaman2001 said:
Which micro 4/3 brands & models would you recommend? My intent is to use current glass I have. Which would be compatible also for Canon EOS EF lenses? Leica M lenses?

TThrough the years, glass has accumulated and I am seriously considering getting a body to optimize these glass I have. It does not have to be brand new. I'm more concerned about price performance, and availability of adapters. Of course brand new is also an option. Thank you.

DDerick

Canon is slated for Mirrorless as well.

adapters are easy to find for most Mirrorless today. Do note the crop factor when mount on m43 (2x) vs others.

First off... welcome to CS.

Second, to be exact there are only 2 brands of micro4/3 cameras in the market - Olympus and Panasonic. And none of them are compatible with Canon EOS EF lenses and Leica M Lenses unless you bought yourself an adapter for them. For the Canon EOS EF lenses though, you cannot control the aperture of the camera unless you use an aperture something like the one shown,

Canon EOS EF lens to MFT Micro 4/3 M4: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

However with that adapter it was not really controlling of the inbuilt aperture blade of the lens itself.

For the 2 brands of m4/3 camera, there are quite a few offering in the market at the present,

Olympus

1) OM-D EM5
2) EP3
3) EPL3
4) EPM1

Panasonic

1) GH2
2) GF5
3) G3/ G5
4) GX1

Not sure about the price, you can email the recommended shops (listed in our price list threads) for e-quote.

Third, does it had to be m4/3 camera? If you have lots of Canon EOS EF lenses in your stock, you might want to look at current Canon 650D camera which is actually not too big and heavy and is a very very capable camera.

If not, check out other mirrorless options out there,

1) Sony NEX
2) Pentax K-01
3) Samsung NX20

However I am not sure if the above mentioned 3 models have adapters available to them for fitting of your EOS lenses.

sorry, newbie on this m4/3 here too. why you say there only 2 brands of m4/3 camera? does sony nex, pentas k-01 consider as m43 mirrorless too?

sorry, newbie on this m4/3 here too. why you say there only 2 brands of m4/3 camera? does sony nex, pentas k-01 consider as m43 mirrorless too?

No. Sony NEX and Pentax K-01 is consider mirrorless interchangeable lens system and not m4/3 mirrorless interchangeable lens system. When we say m4/3, it means the sensor used was a m4/3 sensor which is smaller than the normal APS-C sensor typically found in DSLR (not fullframe DSLR). Sony NEX and Pentax K-01 both had APS-C sized sensor. Never ever mistaken that all mirrorless interchangeable lens camera as micro 4/3 camera...

Nope and nope... Only the cameras that use the m4/3 lens mount and use the 4/3 sensor are m4/3 cameras. m4/3 is a subset of the general "mirrorless interchangeable lens camera" group.

Think of it like saying "aren't all DSLR cameras Canon EF mount?"

For m43 cam lens, does it come as crop of 1.5 x just as Nikon APSC -C cam? Or it like a full frame cam?

Afaik, m43 is 2x crop.

buzzmario said:
For m43 cam lens, does it come as crop of 1.5 x just as Nikon APSC -C cam? Or it like a full frame cam?

2x crop. Please read the STICKY on choosing cameras based on the sensor method.