Which Methods for Macro Shooting???

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzbboyzz

Deregistered
Oct 5, 2007
Usa
meettomy.site
Between this 2 methods, which one will you guys choose to get a better macro pic???

1. Using Macro adaptor ring(BR-2A)??? REVERSE LENS

OR

2. Extension Tube???

With the lenses you currently own, i would recommend #1.

Using extension tube:

There will be a Light loss, especially important in macro that we're dealing with insufficient amount of light all the time. It leads to a dark viewfinder, longer exposure time and image degradation. The additional length of your lens also makes your setup very prone to vibration. When coupling with a zoom lens, the combination of zoom and focusing is very tricky to handle.

M i right to say this???

Usually when i take pic using reverse lens i would use something to stuck open up the aperture while taking pic to allow more lights to enter. Is this the right way of doing???

For Extension Tube, it create a void between the lens and the sensor, hence shorten the minimum focusing distance (increasing magnification).
There will be insignificant light loss or drop in IQ unless you over do it, that when diffraction come into place.

Example of extension tube use (200mm lens stack with 36mm Extension tube at maxi. magnification, photo uncropped)
2111996192_7a48392d86.jpg

Reverse lens method is the cheapest method to do macro yet having quality result.
The setback is the short working distance (around 50mm) and had to manually step down.
I had no experience with a G lens for reverse lens. I use a old manual lens, set to wide open during focusing and frame, then step down to desire f-stop prior pressing the shutter.

Example of reverse lens (reverse 24mm lens at max. magnifcation, photo uncropped)
2279791282_22f9df87db.jpg

Hope the above help

For Extension Tube, it create a void between the lens and the sensor, hence shorten the minimum focusing distance (increasing magnification).
There will be insignificant light loss or drop in IQ unless you over do it, that when diffraction come into place.

Example of extension tube use (200mm lens stack with 36mm Extension tube at maxi. magnification, photo uncropped)
2111996192_7a48392d86.jpg

Reverse lens method is the cheapest method to do macro yet having quality result.
The setback is the short working distance (around 50mm) and had to manually step down.
I had no experience with a G lens for reverse lens. I use a old manual lens, set to wide open during focusing and frame, then step down to desire f-stop prior pressing the shutter.

Example of reverse lens (reverse 24mm lens at max. magnifcation, photo uncropped)
2279791282_22f9df87db.jpg

Hope the above help

Helps alot. Thanks alot :)
Anyway if i'm using a normal lens(e.g D40 kit lens 18-55mm F3.5-4.5) not G-Lens, do i have to get something to stuck open the aperture inside to the maximum(F3.5) which i always did to allow more lights to enter?If not just take pic with it is simply too dark.

The depth of field is very shallow when using reverse lens. f/3.5 is actually too shallow, you might want experiment with different f/stop and different magnification to see the differences.

Flash is highly recommend when doing high magnification shots.

Helps alot. Thanks alot :)
Anyway if i'm using a normal lens(e.g D40 kit lens 18-55mm F3.5-4.5) not G-Lens, do i have to get something to stuck open the aperture inside to the maximum(F3.5) which i always did to allow more lights to enter?If not just take pic with it is simply too dark.

Just check that the kit lens had no aperture ring, you might want to use the method you mentioned to open the aperture when focusing. Then let the close back to f/22 before press the shutter, external light source is recommended.

The con of reverse lens is not only the short working distance, it is quite troublesome to use as compare to other marco setup.

I had tried a few method from closeup filters, reverse lense, ext tube and even TCs and combinations of the above. I still prefer to use ex tube cos its the easiest and best result for me.

I had tried a few method from closeup filters, reverse lense, ext tube and even TCs and combinations of the above. I still prefer to use ex tube cos its the easiest and best result for me.

Agreed with that too.

Extension has the advantage of ease of use, no significant loss of light and and image quailty.

Others i will briefly write is follows
Close-up filter - ease of use, no light loss, but edge to edge is soft.
Teleconvertor - ease of use, easily achieve high magification, good working distance, but significant loss of light & image quality
Reverse lens - cheap, can achieve very high magification depend of lenses use, image quality is good but very short working, not easily to use as compare with the above.

Every type of setup got it pro & con, there are no best or worst setup, choose the one that fit your need and budget.
TS, check up the stick post by megaweb on Macro section or go and borrow/buy a book on macro photography, it's very useful.

Thanks the help from you guys. Appreciate it. Great forum and great people here =)

Status
Not open for further replies.