Which long lens on a safari?

xcite

Dec 21, 2004
Hi folks,
I'll be going on a 2 week safari in Botswana and Zimbabwe and wondering which long lens to bring (all Nikon). I have a Nikon D300 and currently own the Nikon 70-200VR f2.8 and a Nikon TC1.7.
I'm wondering if I should consider the Nikon 80-400 (don't read that many good reviews about it though) or rent a Nikon 200-400?

On the one hand the 70-200 is a really good lens and the TC gives me a reasonable zoom. On the other hand... more zoom is always better, especially if getting closer to the action is not really possible.

You should have a look here:
On Safari (luminous-landscape com essays on_safari)
Jan

Good article but I think he was there under different circumstances, i.e. private or self-drive safari where he basically could do what he want (get closer, wait for hours, etc) so not exactly what I will be doing.

No one compared those two lenses (the one with a TC)?

AFS 70-200VR f2.8 ED, definitely a superior quality lens,
but unfortunately 200mm is too short a focal length for wildlife.

AF 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 because the auto-focusing too slow,
is not suitable for wildlife shooting.

AF-S 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II or VR l Is definitely a better choice
for both Handheld or sandbags support shooting , even add on a
1.4x teleconverter still can focus fast and accurate.

Hope to see you wonderful photos soon.:)

for your reference : Alaska (2010)

As long and as fast as you can get your hands on.

When I'm shooting in Botswana in the Okavango delta I use mostly 600/4, 800/5.6 and 400/2.8 with TC's as well as 1200/f11 and sometimes I wish for longer. It depends entirely which reserve your going to, what time of year and how good the tour operator is.

As long and as fast as you can get your hands on.

When I'm shooting in Botswana in the Okavango delta I use mostly 600/4, 800/5.6 and 400/2.8 with TC's as well as 1200/f11 and sometimes I wish for longer. It depends entirely which reserve your going to, what time of year and how good the tour operator is.

Oh how I would love to shoot with those lenses as well but unless I win in the lottery it won't happen :( Will be sticking to my 200 2.8 and see how far I get

Make sure you've got a good 2 x TC then, you WILL need it.

Back from the Safari and have to admit that the longer the lens the better it is. In the end I took a Sigma 150-500 with me as one of the dealers had a very tempting offer on a second hand lens. It goes a bit unsharp after 400mm so I usually tried not to go beyond that but 400mm was definitely necessary but in most cases sufficient, however more would have been good in some cases.

ef 1200 would be good i reckon.

Is nikon 80-400 comparable to sigma 120-400 in terms of performance? Im considering these 2 options to buy for safari. Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

70-200 with 2x coverter