Which local photography mag to get? need advise from all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulip

Mar 12, 2004
sembawang
Can anybody advise me on which local photography mag to get?
thinking of getting oversea mag but abit X, cos currently still serving NS. :embrass:

Actually Grain or Photo i is good. I also prefer them sometimes over foreign mags cos it is more localised and you get to join the contests!

Haha, once in a while you can buy Practical Photography too. It's good.

Jonny said:
Actually Grain or Photo i is good. I also prefer them sometimes over foreign mags cos it is more localised and you get to join the contests!

Haha, once in a while you can buy Practical Photography too. It's good.

Yah true, but Grain & Photo I dun hv enuff informative articles to hlp newbies or pple who wants to read more on techniques...I tink both mag focus more on product info & news. I noe there is another mag called Lightbox and that one got more articles. Anyone got experience with that?

may i suggest your local library

magazines found at at sengkang & cheng san library

popular photography
Amateur Photography
and plenty more

maybe u should also be looking at the various photog books

if u want to read magazines for latest news and reviews, advise u do it online, updated much faster, there are plenty of sites, dpreview being one of them

I do go to libraby too, the problem is it can only last me for two weeks. Some time I encounter problem in the field and want to have a quick reference. Will be good if I got $ ,can buy a laptop and log on to the net to get what i want. But....too back i have to face the reality.Any way really thanks for all the advise you guys gives.

I have come across all the four local mag. but not too sure which one should I get? that why needs all your Comments and advises on the four mag. Thanks guy anybody got any point to share?

tulip said:
I do go to libraby too, the problem is it can only last me for two weeks. Some time I encounter problem in the field and want to have a quick reference. Will be good if I got $ ,can buy a laptop and log on to the net to get what i want. But....too back i have to face the reality.Any way really thanks for all the advise you guys gives.

I have come across all the four local mag. but not too sure which one should I get? that why needs all your Comments and advises on the four mag. Thanks guy anybody got any point to share?

Hi, what type of problem that require you to refer to mag? :dunno: Care to care?

jimtong said:
Hi, what type of problem that require you to refer to mag? :dunno: Care to care?

Maybe I used the wrong word, and gave u a wrong ideas. Not actually problem, what i mean is something that i can refer to......So do you have any point to share???
:confused:

tulip said:

Talking about the local mags, I hv got 1 issue of PhotoI (very difficult to get one since it's free), seen Grain (which is pretty informative about local events, interviews but nothing much else abt articles, etc). Did not see Go Digital at all although keen to chk out one...as for Lightbox, More articles compared to the rest, but needs more room for improvement...

Do the rest of the guys share the same view?

evozero said:
may i suggest your local library

magazines found at at sengkang & cheng san library

popular photography
Amateur Photography
and plenty more

maybe u should also be looking at the various photog books

if u want to read magazines for latest news and reviews, advise u do it online, updated much faster, there are plenty of sites, dpreview being one of them

are you sure ap and pp are local?

TOTAL DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY for month of February 2004 is not bad, had a few good articles for newbies... (i'm one of the league)

Thanks for all the pointer, will go now to check it out. :cool:

tulip said:

Grain is a good magazine to see photos for inspiration. They don't have much tips for techniques though.
For technical tips and techniques I buy Photography Monthly. I stopped buying Practical Photography in a regular basis since some tips are not applicable to those living in Asia. I occasionally buy it if majority of the contents are useful to me.

I suggest you buy a good book first. One that teaches the basics. Because some of the terms and tips in the magazines assume that you know some basics of photography and would sound alien to you if you don't know them.
A good book will also serve as a reference.
Look for a book called Photography Field Guide by National Geographic available at Kinokuniya in Orchard.

tulip said:
Can anybody advise me on which local photography mag to get?
thinking of getting oversea mag but abit X, cos currently still serving NS. :embrass:

:bigeyes: Hmm... :bigeyes: I was trying to ask the same question! Is there any gd local magz to buy? Me hv looked at some foreign magz but dun like that as find it a bit irrelevant...any tips on tis one? :light:

Thanks everybody... :vhappy:

Joanne

nickmak said:
i read photography monthly... gives lots of tips and advice...

I read Photography Monthly as well. :thumbsup:
Main reason: William Cheung... sarcastic and funny guy.. :)
He used to write for Practical Photography.
The only turn off is the price: S$16.90 per issue. Expensive...

Grain is a good local magazine.

On and off I look at foreign magazines such as Practical Photography as well as Pop Photo and Outdoor Photo. But these magazines carry lots of advertisement. You can practically read it in a couple of hours and done with it.

If you are into digital photography, I would recommend a magazine called DIGITAL PHOTO PRO. This is a very informative magazine with good quality articles worth buying (it costs about SGD 20+).

i go to the library and read articles off the web ;p

money no enuff :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.