Which Light meter to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

writing with light

Aug 14, 2008
Hi, I asked this question in a thread that someone else started about light meters, but seems like no one paid attention to it, so I am starting a new one
I am currently using a Leica IIIa, and I am really clueless about the guessing of the exposure. Dun wanna end up losing shots that would have turned out good otherwise, esp when I have capture "the moment" only to find that my film has been over or underexposed. Hence, I was thinking of getting a light meter. Something simple yet effective would do.
I preferably would not want to spend anything more than $250. Would ppl pls recommend a few to me?
Thanks

Hullo, I know this is a bit lame, but my thread is being drowned by all the SIN threads. And I really do need advice on which light meter to buy. So someone pls help.
Thanks

Consider this one.

Sekonic L-308S FLASHMATE - $280.

sykestang is selling this in his website. Check it out. ;)

Besides the Sekonic light meters, which other meters can I get?
Thanks!

I am looking for something simple to use, if I were to compare the Goosen Digisix vs the Sekonic L308, which one would be more idiot proof?
Thanks

I am looking for something simple to use, if I were to compare the Goosen Digisix vs the Sekonic L308, which one would be more idiot proof?
Thanks

Personally... I think I'd give up if I had to use a Gossen Digisix. :bsmilie:

Gossen Digisix review

But it's up to you... Coz I'm more of a digital person, thus I'd prefer digital more...

Haha, I hear you. Guess I'll go for the Sekonic then. Thanks for the info.

before you go on, you may like to tell others what subject you shoot most, and also what kind of film you shoot most.

Hi catchlights,
Thanks for asking. Actually I am having a little doubts onto whether I really need to buy one at all now. It does cost quite a bit, money which I can use to buy other lens if I don't really need a meter. I was doing some reading up, and do correct me if I am wrong. But it seems that the TTL meter in the digital cameras can also be used an incident light meter by pointing it at the light source instead of the subject. I don't have a DSLR, but I am using a powershot S5, and I was thinking of using that as my "light meter". Although the f stop range is between f/2.7-f/8. I was thinking of using a self made chart of stops and shutter speeds to make up for the lack of f stops to "guess" the exposure, on top of the range fstops and shutter speeds of my powershot S5.
To answer your question. I like taking mainly landscape and street photography, but will not rule out doing potrait as well.
Pls do advise if I really do need one.
Thanks.

Sorry, forgot to answer about the film part.
I use Lucky 100 B&W and Lucky 200 color negatives most of the time. Not keen to try the slide films yet as I am still honing my experience where exposure is concerned.

And i must also qualify that I started out using digital, and I intend to shoot photos quite a fair bit with a Leica IIIa. Its like going backwards, back to the basics. Therefore, I am really having quite a bit of difficulty guessing exposures.

You can learn to 'read' and 'gauge' light with a fair bit of accuracy, but it might take you a long time, and a WHOLE lot of practice.

Results would not be so accurate unless you do your own darkroom work, or have a reliable lab that does your wet-work strictly according to your specifications, which means that you must be very familiar with the negatives, chemicals, temperatures and timies involved in the dark-room.

The other thing I suspect is that since you're using mainly negatives, which have a very wide exposure latitude, it might not be so easy to tell which times you were off, close to, and correct about your exposure gauging.

Using reversal film would be a much easier reference for you to learn/gauge yr exposure reading abilities.

Easier still would be to get a used/2nd basic model like the Sekonic 308S or B (can't remember) which often goes for ard $150.

Just check the classifieds here on CS (do a search - lightmeter).

Sorry, by reversal film, you mean slide film? As in all those films with the word "chrome" behind it?

Dream Merchant is correct, you can use Basic Daylight Exposure Guide (BDE) to help you learn how to 'read' and 'gauge' light, on negative film, be it color or b&w, since it has a larger exposure latitude, and it you may get someone to process, print it for you, some form of correction being preformed, so you may not know how off your exposure are.

reversal film aka positive film aka slide film aka chrome film aka transparency film aka E6 film.

Thanks for the info guys. You've all been a great help. Now the question for me to consider is whether I want to bust so many rolls of film before I learn how to expose correctly. I think it may be more economical for me to buy a light meter in the long run.
Thanks once again!

Thanks for the info guys. You've all been a great help. Now the question for me to consider is whether I want to bust so many rolls of film before I learn how to expose correctly. I think it may be more economical for me to buy a light meter in the long run.
Thanks once again!

a light meter will definitely have its usefulness in the long run, but in the meantime, since you are more into street and landscape, I doubt that the light meter will help at this point.

oops, I got one already.lol..:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.