which lenses type to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikonsiao

Sep 2, 2004
singapore
www.weddingdairy.blogspot.com
hi fellow friends,
i am new and need some help.i am using a 35-200mm len currently, when shooting i find that there is a minimum distance that i must keep from the object to get it in focus..i can get a closer shot but i need to move back and zoom in which sometimes will cause the pic to be out of proportion. do i need to but those 'super dopple long lenses' to get the desire effect? ( heard they cost a bomb too ) or a basic series of lenses that i need to own? currently i am holding on to a 80-240mm len as well.
thanks......

nikonsiao said:
hi fellow friends,
i am new and need some help.i am using a 35-200mm len currently, when shooting i find that there is a minimum distance that i must keep from the object to get it in focus..i can get a closer shot but i need to move back and zoom in which sometimes will cause the pic to be out of proportion. do i need to but those 'super dopple long lenses' to get the desire effect? ( heard they cost a bomb too ) or a basic series of lenses that i need to own? currently i am holding on to a 80-240mm len as well.
thanks......

All lens have a minimum focus distance. What kind of shots do you want to take ? If mostly macro, then go for a true macro lens. Also what budget do you have ? You can also consider getting the sigma 70-300mm Super macro APO Lens for around $300++.

majere2sg said:
All lens have a minimum focus distance. What kind of shots do you want to take ? If mostly macro, then go for a true macro lens. Also what budget do you have ? You can also consider getting the sigma 70-300mm Super macro APO Lens for around $300++.
Hi Majere,
most of the time i would like to take photos of people and senery.budget wise i am ok if anything below 1k. is there a multi purpose lens which can be used? :bsmilie: can sigma lens be used on my nikon F75? :bsmilie: thanks

nikonsiao said:
Hi Majere,
most of the time i would like to take photos of people and senery.budget wise i am ok if anything below 1k. is there a multi purpose lens which can be used? :bsmilie: can sigma lens be used on my nikon F75? :bsmilie: thanks

I think your 35-200 is quite multipurpose already. Sigma/Tokina/Tamron/other 3rd party lenses can be used for your camera, just make sure that it's a Nikon-mount lens.

If you take shots of people and scenery, I would suggest you getting the Nikkor AF 28-105mm, which gives you a good wide at 28mm for scenery as well as portraiture at 105mm. And it focuses down to 0.5m.

justarius said:
I think your 35-200 is quite multipurpose already. Sigma/Tokina/Tamron/other 3rd party lenses can be used for your camera, just make sure that it's a Nikon-mount lens.

the problem i face is i can't focus when i get too near to my subject...the AF keeps zooming in and out and by the time i can release my shuttle the magic moment is gone...... :bsmilie:

chantyeroop said:
If you take shots of people and scenery, I would suggest you getting the Nikkor AF 28-105mm, which gives you a good wide at 28mm for scenery as well as portraiture at 105mm. And it focuses down to 0.5m.

thanks..will take a look at this len too... :bsmilie:

nikonsiao said:
the problem i face is i can't focus when i get too near to my subject...the AF keeps zooming in and out and by the time i can release my shuttle the magic moment is gone...... :bsmilie:

what body you using?

nikonsiao said:

That's a constraint you have to live with on that lens then. Know the minimum focusing distance and stay at the correct distance to avoid the lens hunting. Don't force the lens do something that it cannot.

nikonsiao said:
i am using a Nikon :bsmilie: F75

u can also check out the nikon 28-200mm/f3.5-5.6 G lens. close focuses to 0.4m throughout the focal length range and gives u a macro of 1:3.1
the wide angle of 28mm gives u more versatility for shooting landscapes/scenery.

zaren said:
u can also check out the nikon 28-200mm/f3.5-5.6 G lens. close focuses to 0.4m throughout the focal length range and gives u a macro of 1:3.1
the wide angle of 28mm gives u more versatility for shooting landscapes/scenery.
thanks for yr help..will shop shop around...buy!!!!!buy!!!!!buy!!!! :bsmilie:

majere2sg said:

Hi there, can I am a newbie too - looking for telephoto at least 300mm - can the sigma lens be used for a Nikon D70 ?

I recently bought a Tokina 75-300mm - is this considered a telephoto ? And is 75-300mm the focal length ? :dunno:

Darren Nonis said:
I recently bought a Tokina 75-300mm - is this considered a telephoto ? And is 75-300mm the focal length ? :dunno:

Yes, any lens >60mm can be considered milldly telephoto as a general rule of the thumb :D . And yup, 75-300mm is the focal length.

I have been using nikon prime lens (50mm) and wide angle (24mm) so far due to the wide aperture possible. However I am considering whether to include a 28-105mm sigma lens. Any recommendation?

Darren Nonis said:

Hi Darren,

Where you got it? Im am looking for the same also. Not much budget willing to go for second hand stuffs. Any lobangs...?

Status
Not open for further replies.