Which lenses to go for? 85mm f1.8 or 135mm f2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

louisgce

Jun 18, 2007
Singapore of course
Need advice on this 2 lenses.

Currently use 400D and plan to buy an additional lens soon. But couldn't get my mind on this 2, which lenses are better on APS-C. Hope the Shi Fu out there can give me some advice.

Thank you very much.:sweat:

what focus length do you need?

its like tell u what u should eat later in the evening...no one able to read your mind...

The 85mm f1.8 would be good on a 400D.
I've tried a 135 f2 on my 10D and it's way too long for my liking.
Best if you can try out both lenses to decide.
For me, 50mm on a 1.6x crop sensor is good enough.

85mm - portrait
135mm - street photography

I guess 85mm would be more suitable for you. 135mm and you'll need to be standing quite a distance away from the subject at times to obtain desired framing, unless you do headshots all the time. Infact, I find my 80mm a bit narrow in many occasions.

try the 100/2 as well. good mix inbetween if you cant make up your mind. =)

85mm F1.8 is quite a suitable lens on both APS-C and FF: at 1.6x factor it's equivalent to 135mm and in FF it's 85mm - both good ranges for taking portraits, and more importantly it means you can still have good use of it if one day you upgrade to FF.

that's my opinion, so I bought 85 f1.8 for my 400D, :)

Yes, 135mm is rather tight even for headshots. You'll be standing quite far back. I use 105mm and I find it already difficult to use indoors. Since I got a 85mm, I got hooked on it as its just about right for half length portraiture.

I find the 135 a little long indoors too but the mokeh wide open is superb :D The 85 wide open has a little purple fringing at high contrast areas but almost dissappers at f/2 :)

Thank for all the info.

I think i going to get the 85mm liao, somemore it is cheaper....:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.