Which lenses best for portrait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeokimsong

Nov 25, 2004
Hi to all members? What would be the most suitable focal length for shooting portrait? 24, 35, 50, etc ?? thanks

If u're using a cropped sensor cam, it's 50mm. For full-frame cams, get the 85mm.

yeokimsong said:
Hi to all members? What would be the most suitable focal length for shooting portrait? 24, 35, 50, etc ?? thanks

The "Ideal" portraiture focal length is 90mm for 35mm film format (or FF digital).
So I suppose that translates to 60mm for Nikon dSLRs.

50mm f1.4 and 85mm 1.2L ;p

I'll say 85mm onwards, on a "cropped" dslr.

Snoweagle said:
The 85mm f/1.2L is an overkill ($3K+) so the 85mm f/1.8 ($600+) is gd enough.

sorry for the very late reply. Thanks so much for your valuable feedback. i forgot to add, i am using a film SLR... is 50mm, or 85 mm better?

yeokimsong said:
sorry for the very late reply. Thanks so much for your valuable feedback. i forgot to add, i am using a film SLR... is 50mm, or 85 mm better?

I'm using a film one too. I'll definitely go for the 85mm f/1.8 USM for portraiture. The 50mm f/1.8 II, f/1.4 USM is also gd for portraiture but only thing you'll have to stand closer.

85mm to 135mm will give u a good and realistic perspective on ya portrait..

cheers

JediForce4ever said:
I beg your pardon, would you please elaborate why the 85..f1.2L is an overkill?

As said earlier on. It's not worth paying over 3K for such a lens.

JediForce4ever said:
Obviously you dont know the word BOKEH.

Haha...pls lah, if u've so much money of cos u'll get the 1.2L. The 1.8 one's bokeh is already very gd. U're just paying more for the extra 2 stops of light, L quality and built, unless u're going professional.

Snoweagle said:
Haha...pls lah, if u've so much money of cos u'll get the 1.2L. The 1.8 one's bokeh is already very gd. U're just paying more for the extra 2 stops of light, L quality and built, unless u're going professional.
Pls lah...extra two stops of light?again..you really do not know what is the beauty of BOKEH.
Since you not goin pro, why dont u recommend the 75-300 instead?good enough liao mah...and its covers 85mm also...:)

JediForce4ever said:
Pls lah...extra two stops of light?again..you really do not know what is the beauty of BOKEH.
Since you not goin pro, why dont u recommend the 75-300 instead?good enough liao mah...and its covers 85mm also...:)
obviously u dont know of the word 'MONEY'.. u want more bokeh.. get a 135mm f/2 and u get better bokeh at a higher stop.. just step back more.. i compared that a nikkor 135mm f/2 can produce as good or better bokeh then a nikon 85mm f/1.4..

JediForce4ever said:

I LONG AGO know what's BOKEH.

If you said the 75-300mm then u really dunno what's the point of getting the 85mm f/1.8. Being a prime lens, it can beat the 75-300 anytime. I've personally used both lens myself and the 85mm is way more sharp and of better quality.

If you're comparing in covering 85mm, then i also can say the EF-S 18-55 kit lens, mounted on a 1.6x body, it's also gets 88mm which passes 85mm. Then in that case, the other dedicated portrait lens are considered redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.