Which lense should i get for my D40???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which lenses should i get for my D40 ???

1. AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
2. AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

Or ...

replace my D40 with a new D80 body ... which can accomodate more variety of lenses

Not too sure wat options to choose hope someone can help

Thank U in advance

very simple, ask yourself, what do you want to achieve from your camera?

then that will be the lens u will need

get the 70-300 vr.

:thumbsup:

i guess it all comes down to dollars and cents, doesn't it?

i've just purchased a d40 as well and am fairly constrained in my budget...therefore, as a complement to the kit lens (18-55mm), will be getting a 55-200mm AFS VR in order to cover all ranges between 18 to 200mm at a relatively affordable price of 400 sing dollars thereabouts...

so many lenses...so little money... *sigh* :bsmilie:

i guess it all comes down to dollars and cents, doesn't it?

i've just purchased a d40 as well and am fairly constrained in my budget...therefore, as a complement to the kit lens (18-55mm), will be getting a 55-200mm AFS VR in order to cover all ranges between 18 to 200mm at a relatively affordable price of 400 sing dollars thereabouts...

so many lenses...so little money... *sigh* :bsmilie:

Yes, I'm going for the same config too. Where did you purchased your D40 kit? How much you paid?

shutterwerkz...

Like some of the bro's/sis' here mentioned, it really depends on your 1) budget, and more importantly 2) what do you shoot more often or would like to shoot with your D40 ?

It's not really about having D80 and knowing you have the "potential" to use X amount of lenses... Think of what you would like to shoot with your D40, or rather since you have your D40 already, take it out and shoot whatever you like, then you would probably get the feel of what you are missing in terms of reach / width / apperture then you can know which lens you wanna get.

For me, as a D40 user as well, i'm currently having a Nikon 18-200mm VR for general purpose as well as tele-zoom (as I started out yearning for more reach when first shooting with the kit lens), then i went with Sigma's 10-20 for my love of landscape/natural wide spaces ... and for portraits and natural lighting I went for Sigma 30mm f/1.4 prime for it's "fastness/aperture"

Hope this will give you a basic idea... if $$$ is unlimited, of coz it wouldn't be bothering to think which to get ... I'm also saving up targeting the Nikon 105mm Macro you mentioned, but decided that it was a 4th choice of lens to get as I don't usually shoot too many Macros but would love to experiment/play with it...

just my 2 cents... happy shooting :)

JeeT77, can you please enlighten whether your sigma 30mm f1.4 prime is able to AF? am looking for options for a prime too since there doesn't seem to be a nikon afs prime lens so far...thanks in advance...

IMHO, i dun think u shd get the 70/300 telelens. i find that its usage is very specific.

i feel u shd go for one in the wide to normal range first. like the d70 kit 18-70 which allows more flexibility. if you got the money the 18-200VR is a good option (ignoring the jack of all trades argument).

JeeT77 : Thank you advice think it make sense .... think i'll stick to my D40 than ... as for lenses think can still use AF lenses jus have to make ur own adjustments though...

Thirun Sammy : hi i already got the AFS 18-135mm lens (D80 kit lens) covers most areas of shots but jus dun have a zoom lens to cover further

[/QUOTE]Thirun Sammy : hi i already got the AFS 18-135mm lens (D80 kit lens) covers most areas of shots but jus dun have a zoom lens to cover further[/QUOTE]

oh ok, i thought u dun have a lens yet. the 18/135 is very good...

i think u shdnt go for the 70/300 G lens. not very good, only for well lit conditions. i think id get irritated with it if i cannot shoot under dimmer lighting, but the bokeh that lens produces is very nice.

So, no need GST isiz? Sound like good dealis no need GST. He got shop or just meet to pick up?
better you contact him direct for further clarification...but yes, you'd have to meet up with him to collect...probably around the peninsula area...;)

My lens used with my D40:

1) kit lens
2) Sigma 12-24mm
3) Nikkor 70-300mm VR
4) Sigma 30mm (Now became my PR lens on D40)

Considering:
1) Nikkor 105mm or
2) Tokina 100mm (Cant AF) or
3) Sigma 70mm (Cant AF)

I think no need get all the lens you want at the shortest period of time.. play around with your existing one, till u think its time to try other lens...

Once you found a PR lens, you probably pay least attention to the other lens. Sigma 30mm is very addictive, i never leave home without it.

For me I exchange lenses with my photo-fishing buddies...
Cant AF on his lens ..can always MF

1) kit lens
2) Sigma 12-24mm
3) Nikkor 70-300mm VR

Considering:
1) Nikkor 105mm or
3) Sigma 70mm (Cant AF)

I think no need get all the lens you want at the shortest period of time.. play around with your existing one, till u think its time to try other lens...

Once you found a PR lens, you probably pay least attention to the other lens. Sigma 30mm is very addictive, i never leave home without it.

ever considered the sigma 150mm? i'm drawn towards the nikk 105mm due to the VR ;p

1) kit lens
2) Sigma 12-24mm
3) Nikkor 70-300mm VR

Considering:
1) Nikkor 105mm or
3) Sigma 70mm (Cant AF)

surfrider, re this sigma 30mm prime, is it fully compatible with the d40 a la the nikkor AFS lenses?

can you enlighten as to the pricing of the sigma?

ever considered the sigma 150mm? i'm drawn towards the nikk 105mm due to the VR ;p

Hmm never think of that...

Choose 105mm due to AF
Choose Tokina 100mm, coz tried it once.. lens belongs to a buddy
Choose 70mm due to good review from Popular Photography Mag...

Maybe should check out Sigma 150mm...
But I'm not in a hurry to get a Macro lens... ;p

surfrider, re this sigma 30mm prime, is it fully compatible with the d40 a la the nikkor AFS lenses?

can you enlighten as to the pricing of the sigma?

Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
Only Sigma lens with HSM can AF with D40

I think i paid around $600, set was bought from a CS member who went for a HK Trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.