Which lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If between these 2 lenses, which one preferably should get for landscape photography?

Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM

OR

Sigma 17-35mm F2.8-4 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM

or is there any other recommendations for lenes? :dunno:

I assume you're using a Canon 350D? If so, go for the 12-24mm. The 17-35mm may not be wide enough.

Also, a bigger aperture is not really necessary for landscape. Landscape implies outdoors. Outdoors implies lots of light. Therefore, big aperture not required.

kietgnoel said:
I assume you're using a Canon 350D? If so, go for the 12-24mm. The 17-35mm may not be wide enough.

Also, a bigger aperture is not really necessary for landscape. Landscape implies outdoors. Outdoors implies lots of light. Therefore, big aperture not required.

hmm...but i was also thinking of taking night shots of landscape, so maybe i need a bigger aperture here? correct me if I'm wrong.. :)

such shots even f1.4 also not enuff....
for nightshots any aperture, slow shutter and maybe up your ISO can liao...

chilli padi said:
hmm...but i was also thinking of taking night shots of landscape, so maybe i need a bigger aperture here? correct me if I'm wrong.. :)
Seldom see people shoot landscape with wide open, even it is a low light condition, whatever lens designed, the optimum aperture for the optical to produce best result is at least close down about 2 stops.

You don’t need a fast lens for most of the landscape shots, it would be nice to use the best lens (as in lens quality) if you can afford it.

just wondering what prices are u quoted for these two lenses?

don be too concerned abt f/2.8 if ur taking landscapes at night, u should be using a tripod.

how about tokina 12-24mm? i would choose this for landscape.

Tokina 12-24 is cheap and good.

FF cannot afford.:(

I would strongly recommend the Canon EF-S 10-20mm f3.5-4.5 if you are into landscape photography. :thumbsup:

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
just wondering what prices are u quoted for these two lenses?

don be too concerned abt f/2.8 if ur taking landscapes at night, u should be using a tripod.

I have email CP regarding the prices of these 2 lenses but they haven get back to me yet. As for tripod, I'm getting a Manfrotto 055ProB & maybe a 329 head cos i still can't decide on which head to get... :sweat:

USM said:
I would strongly recommend the Canon EF-S 10-20mm f3.5-4.5 if you are into landscape photography. :thumbsup:

S$1,480 the price quoted on the canon website... :sweat: then I might have to wait quite a while for that lens cos I'm pretty used up now jus having bought my EOS 350D, 1 telephoto lens and a standard lens, and getting my tripod and tripod head soon.... so much $$ spent.... :confused:

Use your kit lens & stop down to at least f8 or f11 on the tripod?

Usually for landscape, you'll have subject, foreground, and background, so very wide aperture, even if available on your lens, may not be usually deployed, due to the narrow DOF.

Just my newbie thought. Not sure correct or not.

chilli padi said:
S$1,480 the price quoted on the canon website... :sweat: then I might have to wait quite a while for that lens cos I'm pretty used up now jus having bought my EOS 350D, 1 telephoto lens and a standard lens, and getting my tripod and tripod head soon.... so much $$ spent.... :confused:

Brother, it's less than $1,120. ;p

Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 S$999
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM S$950
Canon EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM S$1060

Was quoted the following prices for the above lenses... any feedback from those who have or have tried out these lenses before?

Status
Not open for further replies.