Which lens you think (or own) has best bokeh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
What lens you own or think has the best bokeh? Any examples also?
:D

Nikon AF-S Nikkor VR 200mm f/2G IF-ED! Absolutely wonderful. S$50 when 1/2 price promotion is applicable at CRC....

Helios 40 :kiss:

Either you love it or hate it!

M Rokkor 58

Last edited:
Different camp will have a couple of great lenses which can produce great bokeh, it depends on which camp you are referring to.

I'm leaning towards Nikon, but I'm okay with other camps too. Just wanna find out more. :)

that is from a mirror lens

How do you tell if it's from a mirror lens? Any ways to tell? I haven't use nor seen a mirror lens before. :dunno:

Last edited:
Definitely the Minolta/Sony 135 STF. Give it a research and find out why.

How do you tell if it's from a mirror lens? Any ways to tell? I haven't use nor seen a mirror lens before. :dunno:

That bokeh in the linked picture is usually referred to as ring bokeh caused by mirror lenses. It's also usually considered some of the worst bokeh possible.

IMHO any lens with an f stop lower than 2.8 or any mid telephoto or telephoto lens can create beautiful bokeh.

IMG_8932.jpg

A friend framed on EF35L in Shinjuku.

Yup, I guess the ring bokeh really caught my eye. I am not sure but what I think makes a good bokeh is that it's soft enough to provide attention to the subject, and doesn't distract attention from the subject like the ring bokeh does. But looking at the circles with no considerations for the subject in mind, I find the rings quite nice to look at, compared to a soft edged bokeh.

Another question, which will have better bokeh? Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8? Anybody has both lenses? Can make comparisons?

And another question too,... which will produce better bokeh, short range with low f-stops? Or telephoto with high f-stops?

Last edited:
Another question, which will have better bokeh? Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8? Anybody has both lenses? Can make comparisons?

Go read the reviews. There's a good example on photozone.de

And another question too,... which will produce better bokeh, short range with low f-stops? Or telephoto with high f-stops?

Depends on lens construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.