which lens would u choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildsoyabean

Sep 28, 2008
suppose you are going to shoot a wedding and you can only bring 1 lens!.

which would u choose/buy

1) sigma 24-70 f2.8
2) tamron 17-50 f2.8
3) tamron 28-75 f2.8

or any other lens?

im thinking of buying a third party lens budget 600. so nikon 17-55/24-70 etc are out.

in consideration of IQ, auto-focus, range and price, which would you choose?

i was thinking of 28-75 at first but fear that it would not be wide enough. 2) not sure abt sigma quality
tamron 17-50 seems to be an excellent choice...but i just wanna hear more views on this.

if i had the cash...i would just go for nikon 17-55 or 24-70. but since no $$$. need to think twice, thrice for this investment.

i personally think 17-50 will do the job. am i right/wrong?

IMHO from my personal experience, D90 DSLR may go well with Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens.

I'll use the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, although I don't think there'll be much of a problem with the other lenses either.

Tamron 17-50 works well for me. Never needed the range above 50mm, but always the range below 28mm. Keep in mind the perspective distortions in wide angle range.

Since you already have the 12-24 and the 50, just get a 35mm 1.8.

suppose you are going to shoot a wedding and you can only bring 1 lens!.

which would u choose/buy

1) sigma 24-70 f2.8
2) tamron 17-50 f2.8
3) tamron 28-75 f2.8

or any other lens?

im thinking of buying a third party lens budget 600. so nikon 17-55/24-70 etc are out.

in consideration of IQ, auto-focus, range and price, which would you choose?

i was thinking of 28-75 at first but fear that it would not be wide enough. 2) not sure abt sigma quality
tamron 17-50 seems to be an excellent choice...but i just wanna hear more views on this.

if i had the cash...i would just go for nikon 17-55 or 24-70. but since no $$$. need to think twice, thrice for this investment.

i personally think 17-50 will do the job. am i right/wrong?
what wedding?

Church wedding without at least 200mm range would be akin to career suicide and going here and there with short lens during the ceremony might irritate the family/guests/priest.

If ROM, short lens with flash will do.

Sorry bro my answer is none of your option

I would say your tamron 18-200 is enough to do the job coupled with flash

Rent back up body and coupled with your tokina

You are set

i did a weddin shoot for a friend recently and did almost everything with my tokina 16-50...

the tamron is jus 1mm short on the wide side, i suppose it can get the job done also....

arrrhhh...nikon 17-55 is my dream also...but so expensive

Tamron 17-50 works well for me. Never needed the range above 50mm, but always the range below 28mm. Keep in mind the perspective distortions in wide angle range.

thanks thats what i thought of too.

Since you already have the 12-24 and the 50, just get a 35mm 1.8.

doing this way is possible....but it will be too much time to change lens. which might mean losing precious moment.

what wedding?

Church wedding without at least 200mm range would be akin to career suicide and going here and there with short lens during the ceremony might irritate the family/guests/priest.

If ROM, short lens with flash will do.

thanks . guess...i will use my 18-270 for zoom lens. 70-200 f2.8 is way over my budget.

Sorry bro my answer is none of your option

I would say your tamron 18-200 is enough to do the job coupled with flash

Rent back up body and coupled with your tokina

You are set
agree. that can be more than enough. but i was thinking at 2.8 will create better shots with bokeh than my current 18-270 setup, without me change lens to 50mm for bokeh. and seriously 50mm is quite zoom for crop sensor - i always find that i do not have enough space to move back with 50mm.

chalib brought up a good point. 18-200mm and a flash makes more sense if you have a limited budget. This is assuming that you have limited cash and do not have a flash.
The stopping power of the flash will often be necessary in indoor conditions.

Else, I'd say get the 17-50/2.8. I have the 28-75/2.8 and thought its real good, the min 28mm focal length can be a bit tight at times without any space to move behind.

From your short-listed candidates, given the fact that you have not recce the place to see how much space you have, i'll probably go for the 17-50mm. Flash is a must though.. I own the 28-75mm and I feel its an excellent piece of glass and AF quite quickly under dim conditions.

actually for one lens solution, your 18-270mm couple with flash may do just fine. Your 50mm f/1.4 will be useful for portrait or creative shots also.

although 17-50mm f/2.8 do perform better in low light condition and with better sharpness.

On my Canon i have used the T17-50 and T28-75. Would recommend both, however, if you plan to keep the 12-24 then get the T28-75. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies. saw a 17-50 on bns super tempting..haha
but what ballwackers said is quite true...have 12-24+28-75 will probably cover all the range i need.
if i can only bring 1 lens...its defintaely 17-50...however if its 2 lens... its probably 12-24 + 28-75

Status
Not open for further replies.