Which lens will you buy next..:

bornwild4

Sep 24, 2010
1} AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
2} AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G

I already had a 35mm F1.4G & 70-200mm F2.8 VR2
So, which set will you go first?

I won't be shooting bugs..
But again, I don't have any lens that can shoot close up.

i use 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 for walkabouts - very good combo and 'light'

Point taken :)
Any idea what is the updated price for 85mm F/1.4G ?

post BBB listings :bsmilie:

0) 85/1.8D -- a poor man's portraiture lens with rich results!! ;)

yes only one at this moment.

I vote for e 85mmF1.4G. Love e 85mmF1.4G !!! currently using it together with e 35mmF1.4G and e 70-200mmF2.8 VR2 (same setup as urs) . I shoot outdoor portraits with those most of e time.

Last edited:

If I am you, I will actually go for the Sigma 85/1.4 HSM.

Thx for all you input, I will go for 85mm F1.4G.

Bro DareDevil,
I understand what you trying to say, I just prefer Nikon.. :)

Only u know the answer.. u should know the focal length u mostly shoot at with ur 70-200..

Go for 105 if u need one lens for macro work (other than bugs).. Nt flaterring for protraiture though..

Just heard that a professional photographer who is a Sigma spoke person also prefer to use Nikon due to the better resolution from Nikon and less hassles(focus issue & calibration).
Thx for all you input, I will go for 85mm F1.4G.

Bro DareDevil,
I understand what you trying to say, I just prefer Nikon.. :)

Already have the 35mm and 85mm f1.4G and they are simply superb. I will buy the last puzzle of the new Nikon G prime linesup - 24mm f1.4G, if I strike Toto, haha
When you see the photos coming from these G prime lenses, you will be motivated to shoot more.
However, they are not cheap and always out of stocks in Singapore

Just heard that a professional photographer who is a Sigma spoke person also prefer to use Nikon due to the better resolution from Nikon and less hassles(focus issue & calibration).

Actually, I believe the Sigma 85/1.4 receives better reviews than the Nikon 85/1.4G. Third party makers are not all that crap, they do make quality lenses, you just have to know which ones are good.

Some online reviews are bias and they seldom put side-by-side comparison photos. You won't know the hidden agenda behind their reviews.
I would like to see or do some side-by-side review between the Nikon 85mm f1.4G and Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM if I have time. Tried to search on google but can't find any good samples. Anyway, the Nikon 85mm f1.4G has already given me more than satisfactory results compared to previous lenses I've used, the only thing I dislike are its price tag and non-Carl Zeiss-like metal body.
Actually, I believe the Sigma 85/1.4 receives better reviews than the Nikon 85/1.4G. Third party makers are not all that crap, they do make quality lenses, you just have to know which ones are good.

Last edited:
apparently, according to digitalrev, the sigma loses out to nikon's 85 f/1.4D, when the 85 f/1.4G is a tack sharper while retaining the same bokeh goodness of the 85 f/1.4D

[vid]j6lsFQGVUl0[/vid]

another more recent vid they uploaded which compared the 3 nikkor 85mm primes (f/1.4D, f/1.4G, f/1.8D) together with sigma's 85 f/1.4 n canon's 85 f/1.8 n f/1.2L

[vid]adQHzNfvzFM[/vid]

Last edited:
Some online reviews are bias and they seldom put side-by-side comparison photos. You won't know the hidden agenda behind their reviews.
I would like to see or do some side-by-side review between the Nikon 85mm f1.4G and Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM if I have time. Tried to search on google but can't find any good samples. Anyway, the Nikon 85mm f1.4G has already given me more than satisfactory results compared to previous lenses I've used, the only thing I dislike are its price tag and non-Carl Zeiss-like metal body.

apparently, according to digitalrev, the sigma loses out to nikon's 85 f/1.4D, when the 85 f/1.4G is a tack sharper while retaining the same bokeh goodness of the 85 f/1.4D

another more recent vid they uploaded which compared the 3 nikkor 85mm primes (f/1.4D, f/1.4G, f/1.8D) together with sigma's 85 f/1.4 n canon's 85 f/1.8 n f/1.2L

People praising Sigma may have agenda. But this is the same with people praising the Nikons, Canons.. They may also have agendas, and have a lot more possibility of agendas behind the reviews favoring the big brands. We should not be so naive to think that every magazine/site out there do reviews out of honest fact finding and not shaded with pre-conceived or emotional ideas and bias.

Our personal experience with the Sigma 85/1.4:
Took it out of the box. Mounted it onto the D3s. Took a shot wide open. No adjustments to AF, no adjustments to anything. No AF calibration. First shot taken with the lens is tack sharp and awesome bokeh. See link to the SOOC jpeg with no adjustments. That is also why it is wiser to test out the lens yourself in real life, than just reading review after review. It is all hearsay till you mount it on your camera and shoot with it.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5168632043_6bd048ee7f_b.jpg

You might want to read the controlled tests done by lentips.com that claims that performance of the Sigma exceeds or is on par with the big brands' 85/1.4s.
http://www.lenstip.com/277.11-Lens_review-Sigma_85_mm_f_1.4_EX_DG_HSM_Summary.html

Resolution is said to be on par with 85/1.4G. No AF accuracy issues whatsoever, no need for AF calibration. and this line is interesting from the lenstip review:

We rarely publish uncompromising opinions in our summaries but here it would be difficult not to include one. Providing you own a Nikon or Sony reflex camera I personally don’t see any reason why you should buy any brand-name 1.4/85 lenses. The Sigma is cheaper, better and it comes with a longer guarantee – as simple as that. You must be really very infatuated with “Zeiss” or “Nikkor” magical words to prefer their lenses to the Sigma.

and in answer to some people's concern:

When it comes to the image resolution the Sigma can compete on equal terms with the new Nikkor 1.4/85 and the expensive Canon 1.2/85 and it fares better than the Zeiss 1.4/85 and the Samyang 1.4/85. In the case of the chromatic aberration, distortion, vignetting of the work against bright light the tested lens defeats most of competitors hands down. Only in the category of coma it fares a bit worse. The autofocus, a thing often considered to be the Sigmas’ problem, here works beyond reproach– it is quicker than that of the Nikkor and the Zeiss and not less accurate. In our tests we had two Sigma 1.4/85 lenses at our disposal with two different mounts and they were attached to four bodies in total. On none of them the lens needed any micro calibration – it sharpened exactly where we wanted it to.

Last edited:
Hi daredevil123, I saw the review from lenstip.com too, but I think they should put side-by-side comparison pictures to justify their conclusions, although they might have their reasons not to do so. What made me curious is that there is no such pictures found in the google website after I had scrolled 20 pages (I typed "Sigma 85mm f1.4 vs nikon G").

Anyone who has a copy of Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM and is keen to do the side-by-side comparisons please PM me. Thanks~

Aisey, call up a few shops, all no stock for 85mm F/1.4G :(

You may try the Nikon dealer shops at JB, Malaysia. I got mine from there too. The Nikon international warranty with oversea shop receipt is still valid in Singapore.

Aisey, call up a few shops, all no stock for 85mm F/1.4G :(

Try Meetoo photo. There is one outside Jusco. One in Plaza Angsana.

Hi daredevil123, I saw the review from lenstip.com too, but I think they should put side-by-side comparison pictures to justify their conclusions, although they might have their reasons not to do so. What made me curious is that there is no such pictures found in the google website after I had scrolled 20 pages (I typed "Sigma 85mm f1.4 vs nikon G").

Anyone who has a copy of Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM and is keen to do the side-by-side comparisons please PM me. Thanks~

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...LensComp=756&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0