Which lens will you buy next..:

35mm and 85mm have their own purposes, including the 24mm as well.
Know what you want to shoot and what kind of perspective you want to reflect on your pictures, then use the suitable focal length and move with your legs to get your shot. You don't have to keep zooming the lens in and out to shoot.
But sometimes you maybe limited by the space available for the shoot. Hence, it's good to have a zoom lens as backup.
Most people using prime lenses to shoot events/functions will carry 2 camera bodies so that they don't need to change lenses frequently.

primes of 35mm and 85mm
meaning you'll have to change lens frequently?

Last edited:
I prefer to do side-by-side comparisons with the same camera instead of mounting the nikon on D3X while the sigma on Canon 1DsMIII like what that website did. The shooting will be done at different real life and lighting situations, outdoor and indoor rather than those lab test shoot. The results will be posted in another new thread in Clubsnap.
Anyone with sigma 85mm f1.4 interested? Those with Canon 85 f1.2L also can join :)

Last edited:
I prefer to do side-by-side comparisons with the same camera instead of mounting the nikon on D3X while the sigma on Canon 1DsMIII like what that website did. The shooting will be done at different real life and lighting situations, outdoor and indoor rather than those lab test shoot. The results will be posted in another new thread in Clubsnap.
Anyone with sigma 85mm f1.4 interested? Those with Canon 85 f1.2L also can join :)

Yup, but that was the closest I could find already.

I like the Nikon GOLD lens..
One of the reasons are the warmness & the contrast that produce by the GOLD lens.

Last edited:
I also prefer Sigma. For 50mm and 85mm lenses, Sigma is better.

Next to the 50 1.2 AIS, the sigma 50 isnt very good at all.. exp for AF of course. the copy i tried had quite abit of purple fringing and CA wide open. also quite abit softer. i havent used a 50 1.4 seriously so cant comment on that one. my next serious buy will probably be an 85. right now its between D, G and AIS or minolta MC converted..

One of the reasons are the warmness & the contrast that produce by the GOLD lens.

this is VERY true. not exactly the 'GOLD' lenses, but the rendition/contrast and colour cast from the big manufacturers are very different.. i ve played with a whole load of third party glass and many of them stand up in resolution, but very few match the tone and contrast of the OEM lenses. for this reason, even if i had to pay more for a D than the sigma, i d go for that instead. the last thing you want is to have to up the contrast or deal with flare in your wide open shots.

Last edited:

you mean the Nikkors with the gold rings? ;)
Well, you are certainly entitled to your choice.

All I can say is that I'm glad the 3rd party manufacturers such as Sigma are making such competitive (both in terms of performance and price) products, so that the OEMs cannot "rest on their laurels".

Next to the 50 1.2 AIS, the sigma 50 isnt very good at all.. exp for AF of course. the copy i tried had quite abit of purple fringing and CA wide open. also quite abit softer. i havent used a 50 1.4 seriously so cant comment on that one. my next serious buy will probably be an 85. right now its between D, G and AIS or minolta MC converted..

this is VERY true. not exactly the 'GOLD' lenses, but the rendition/contrast and colour cast from the big manufacturers are very different.. i ve played with a whole load of third party glass and many of them stand up in resolution, but very few match the tone and contrast of the OEM lenses. for this reason, even if i had to pay more for a D than the sigma, i d go for that instead. the last thing you want is to have to up the contrast or deal with flare in your wide open shots.

Actually Ben, if you manage to try the new Sigma 85/1.4. you will see that it shines especially in CA control. Much better than the AF-D version especially. It is slightly better than AF-S version in CA handling too.

Actually Ben, if you manage to try the new Sigma 85/1.4. you will see that it shines especially in CA control. Much better than the AF-D version especially. It is slightly better than AF-S version in CA handling too.

CA isnt much of a concern for me. its really the contrast and rendition of the lenses. anw, anything above 1k is a very very big buy for me so its personal opinion to stick with something that is sure to be good. i heard too many stories of focus issues, coating peeling, even seen the inside of an EX DG macro that was made almost completely of plastic. IMHO, sigma provides a range of products with lower quality. Tamron offers a good balance, and tokina have the best of build quallity and optics.

long term issues will arise sooner or later. i play alot with old lenses and more often than not, its the third party lenses that have issues with haze/coating separation so though i enjoy 3rd party lenses, i stick try to the major brands for my important lenses. i use alot of non-nikon glass, but they re from brands like minolta, konica and fujica.

Im really not saying the 85 is useless, infact it would be great if it was a good lens. but riht now, by personal preference i wouldnt really consider it unless its 1/2-2/3 the price of the 85 D.

CA isnt much of a concern for me. its really the contrast and rendition of the lenses. anw, anything above 1k is a very very big buy for me so its personal opinion to stick with something that is sure to be good. i heard too many stories of focus issues, coating peeling, even seen the inside of an EX DG macro that was made almost completely of plastic. IMHO, sigma provides a range of products with lower quality. Tamron offers a good balance, and tokina have the best of build quallity and optics.

long term issues will arise sooner or later. i play alot with old lenses and more often than not, its the third party lenses that have issues with haze/coating separation so though i enjoy 3rd party lenses, i stick try to the major brands for my important lenses. i use alot of non-nikon glass, but they re from brands like minolta, konica and fujica.

Im really not saying the 85 is useless, infact it would be great if it was a good lens. but riht now, by personal preference i wouldnt really consider it unless its 1/2-2/3 the price of the 85 D.

Not with the recent releases bro. The 85mm got a new exterior. The two pieces I tried, I just mounted and it AF spot on with no AF fine tune. The color rendition is better than Nikon as it is warmer (this might be personal), and CA is very much less compared to the 85/1.4D and on par or slightly lesser than the 85/1.4G. CA is one of the biggest headaches I face when shooting very large apertures wide open. And the bokeh from the Sigma is just so pleasing.

BTW here is a pic shot by a friend of mine with the Sigma 85/1.4. Just took the lens out, mount it onto a D3s and fired a shot and this is the picture. Excuse the ugly model.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5168632043_6bd048ee7f_b.jpg

Last edited:

i agree....

I would go for 105 VR. You can now take better close ups and guess what? 105 VR makes a good portrait lens @2.8 as well. Better than 85 1.4. 85 1.4 bokeh is good but 105 VR is very sharp and the bokeh at 2.8 is not bad too.

I know bcos I got, 50 1.4G, 85 1.4D, 105 VR, 70-200 VR2. When I take portraits, my preferred lens are in the reserve order.

I would go for 105 VR. You can now take better close ups and guess what? 105 VR makes a good portrait lens @2.8 as well. Better than 85 1.4. 85 1.4 bokeh is good but 105 VR is very sharp and the bokeh at 2.8 is not bad too.

I know bcos I got, 50 1.4G, 85 1.4D, 105 VR, 70-200 VR2. When I take portraits, my preferred lens are in the reserve order.

Not with the recent releases bro. The 85mm got a new exterior. The two pieces I tried, I just mounted and it AF spot on with no AF fine tune. The color rendition is better than Nikon as it is warmer (this might be personal), and CA is very much less compared to the 85/1.4D and on par or slightly lesser than the 85/1.4G. CA is one of the biggest headaches I face when shooting very large apertures wide open. And the bokeh from the Sigma is just so pleasing.

BTW here is a pic shot by a friend of mine with the Sigma 85/1.4. Just took the lens out, mount it onto a D3s and fired a shot and this is the picture. Excuse the ugly model.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5168632043_6bd048ee7f_b.jpg

mm, not bad. but u can see LOCA on his shirt. purple tinge to the white strips in the foreground and greenish in the bg. thats one of the kinds of CA that really kills some nice shots. i don t know how the nikkor handle it (i honestly have never used an 85mm yet) but its very apparent even at first impression. bg isnt right to be able to tell if bokeh is nice. i ve seen some nice shots by the sigma 85 on Dpreview. as i said, its probably a good lens, but not my choice.

btw, whats the price diff btw D,G and sigma?

Last edited:
mm, not bad. but u can see LOCA on his shirt. purple tinge to the white strips in the foreground and greenish in the bg. thats one of the kinds of CA that really kills some nice shots. i don t know how the nikkor handle it (i honestly have never used an 85mm yet) but its very apparent even at first impression. bg isnt right to be able to tell if bokeh is nice. i ve seen some nice shots by the sigma 85 on Dpreview. as i said, its probably a good lens, but not my choice.

btw, whats the price diff btw D,G and sigma?

If you can see CA on his shirt in that pic, you will see even much worse CA on his shirt with the Nikkor.

you mean the Nikkors with the gold rings? ;)
Well, you are certainly entitled to your choice.

All I can say is that I'm glad the 3rd party manufacturers such as Sigma are making such competitive (both in terms of performance and price) products, so that the OEMs cannot "rest on their laurels".

Aisey... I just prefer to say gold lens refer to the gold ring :p
I used to tried a fews lens.. for me, I just find the gold ring are always had a nice warm color and contrast which to me most of the lens
don't have these... maybe just me :)

well i have the sigma 85 1.4, before plunging into it, i tested both the Nikkor and the Sigma, i lean and bought the sigma, firstly CA was well controlled, plus it feels sigma has a warmer color to it....

well to each his own thoughts....

Kid.. Can u sms me again. I lost ur contact :)