Which lens u prefer for low light/ indoor event/ night street/ dinner gathering?

Which Lens u prefer for low light / indoor event / night street / dinner gathering?

Results are only viewable after voting.

WatWatz

Jan 30, 2011
East
For Low light / indoor event/ Night Street / dinner gathering which lens u prefer?

i understand these lenses have different purposes... but which 1 u prefer?

1.Tamron 17-50 non-VC 2.8 >>>> Versatile, sharp, fast, affordable.... CON: widest 2.8 (sometimes u may need wider for night street)

2 .Sigma 30mm 1.4 >>>> Sharp even at 1.4, fast, a little more expensive than T17-50... CON: Fix FL

3. Nikon 35mm 1.8 >>>> Sharp, Great color, most affordable amoung 3 lens, light, ... CON: Fix FL / Average - Poor Bokeh

thx u for participating

Last edited:
I'd say the 35/1.8 as I only have that lens from your list above :p
17-55/2.8 would be ideal for indoor shot..
i also know 17-55 is i deal... but the price of that can buy all 3 lenses above...

own-ed a tamron 17-50 before.
it hunt when shooting in low light.

sigma 30mm 1.4 would be ideal on crop body.. abt 45mm 1.4 equivalent.
only problem is getting good copy.
Else, the nikon 35 1.8 is a good alternative as well.
2.8 lenses are ok, but not exactly the best when it comes to dim light indoor shooting.

Agree with ZD, I myself have the tamron and Nikon 35dx but I find the 35 abit restrictive at times. Why not consider the 20/24/28 1.8 primes?

sigma 30mm 1.4 would be ideal on crop body.. abt 45mm 1.4 equivalent.
only problem is getting good copy.
Else, the nikon 35 1.8 is a good alternative as well.
2.8 lenses are ok, but not exactly the best when it comes to dim light indoor shooting.

so which 1 u prefer?

i think the tammy shld suffice if u have tripod ready, else handheld the primes will shine better.

i dun really use tripod for event/ street as i need speed

50 1.8D. I personally shoot more portraiture in night shots and find the medium telephoto better for me. The lens is small (making your camera unobtrusive, I used it on a D80 body with grip), fast, sharp and yes the single focal length can be limiting, but I would take that over all the advantages I mentioned. Not to forget the price!

I toggle between the Tamron and the Nikon. I favor the Nikon, if the situation permits. If I know I need a wider lens, it will be the Tamron.

I toggle between the Tamron and the Nikon. I favor the Nikon, if the situation permits. If I know I need a wider lens, it will be the Tamron.

erm...may i know y nikon instead of sigma?

hi people, may i know how much does the nikon 35mm 1.8 cost?
new to photography ah, pardon me :D

I'd go with Tammy for indoor/events simply because it's more versatile. Although the other two allow me to open up more but the dof would be a problem for events especially.

weihan26 said:
hi people, may i know how much does the nikon 35mm 1.8 cost?
new to photography ah, pardon me :D

Slightly over $300 from BnS if I remember correctly. Go do a search at the buy and sell topics.

Last edited:
I also had issues with the tamron 17-50 2.8 BIM hunting in low light. missed alot of shots that way. but i ve heard that the non BIM version is better. i would go for the 17-50, but also carry a 35 f2 around. now i go 17-35 on the d200 and 50 1.2 on the d700.

Last edited:
35mm f1.8 tends to hunt in low light. I experienced this before I bought it (made me think twice about it) recently. The 50mm f1.8D does not have the same problem...but still, the 35 is pretty good when it locks on. Sharp.

erm...may i know y nikon instead of sigma?

Hi. I have used the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, and it was a close contest between the 2 lens. The Sigma is the faster lens, and the f/1.4 is very useful. However, the Sigma was also significantly more expensive, and the Nikon won because of its better value.