Which lens to use in Japan?

jav3n

Nov 24, 2009
Hi all,

My Company is posting me to Japan for work.

Being an amateur, I would like to obtain a better lens (Using EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS on 500D) for easy capturing better quality images.

I am considering between EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Please give me some advise on the above. My budget is around 1.5k.
Forgive me if it has been discussed before.

Thanks!

Hi! I'm thinking since you have a multi purpose lens already, probably you might want to get a fast prime lens for low light situation. 15-85 is great for sharpness but its not much diff from your 18-200mm expect its wider. 17-55 is a great lens, but I'm thinking it overlap too much, though the F2.8 come in handy at times. If I were you maybe I would get a standard fast prime lens. Just my 2 cent worth. I'm not experience compared to others here :)

For me i might just get an UWA zoom lens and a 50mm f1.4 to couple with the 18-200.

Either 17-55 or the 15-85 is a judgement call, though between the two i might just get the later for the extra wideness over the larger aperture better IQ 17-55.

ryan

I would get a UWA like the 11-16mm or 10-22mm paired with Sigma 30mm or 50mm.

...easy capturing better quality images.

What do you mean by easy capturing better quality images? Better lens does not translate into taking better photographs?

Lens decision should be based on what do you like to photograph.

Depends on what you like shooting...

Has anyone tried buying lens in Japan - will that be cheaper?

Last edited:
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi all,

My Company is posting me to Japan for work.

Being an amateur, I would like to obtain a better lens (Using EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS on 500D) for easy capturing better quality images.

I am considering between EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Please give me some advise on the above. My budget is around 1.5k.
Forgive me if it has been discussed before.

Thanks!

since u will be stationed in Japan for quite a while and you already owned a general purpose lens (18-200mm), you should get a get prime like sigma 30mm or canon 50mm f1.4 and probably an external flash. That should be more then sufficient enough.

What you already have is good enough for travel photography. It may not be the top model but unless you are prepared to sell it at a loss, I suggest you stick with it because you can still grab good shots out of it (it is still a good mid quality zoom).

A very wide lens like 10-22mm (around S$1K) will be good as it allows you to capture very good dramatic landscape. Remember to bring along a good tripod (around S$500+) for those wonderful neon lights at night. :thumbsup:

But based on what you already desired, I suggest you go with 15-85mm (around S$1K) because 17-55mm (around S$1.5K) though very fast lens at F/2.8 simply won't give you the wide range and telephoto you need in travel photography.

Last edited:
since u will be stationed in Japan for quite a while and you already owned a general purpose lens (18-200mm), you should get a get prime like sigma 30mm or canon 50mm f1.4 and probably an external flash. That should be more then sufficient enough.

Contrary to many tips to get a prime to couple with your 18-200, i will advise against it.
Firstly, a 18-200 is meant for a all rounder lens. Thus, you may not even want to bring out/change lenses in low light for the larger aperture because its quite restrictive, especially if you are not used to primes at all.

Also, im not sure if you noticed anything wrong with the quality of your images. Im an ex owner of the 18200 and i feel that the quality is not there. Plenty of chroma noise when you pixel peep, and for travel, you'll tend to take many snap shots. This is when you start to realise if you dont use good technique ie posture, breathing, many pictures will turn out soft and blurry because the lens is too slow. At 200mm 5.6 with inadequate technique, it wont get you far. Keeper rate is low. Thus instead of primes, aim for quality zooms. Choices such as tamron 17-50 non vc/vc , canon's17-55, 15-85, or at least a 17-85. You'll have more luck with better pictures with better quality glass.

If i were allowed to make a bold suggestion, rather than couple your 18-200 with another lens (trust me you'll seldom use the 100-200mm range if you scroll through your previous travel pics), sell it and get a quality zoom such as 17-55 (1200 SGD 2nd hand/ 1500 SGD 1st hand), and get a UWA such as the tokina 11-16 f2.8,sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 (reviews say its better than the newer sigma 10-20 f3.5) or the canon 10-22. If you travel a lot a UWA is a must.

Hope i helped :thumbsup:

The best all purpose lens for you will be the EF-S 17-55f2.8 IS USM. For zoom, no other EF-S lens is near it for all practical purposes. Just this lens will suffice.

Contrary to many tips to get a prime to couple with your 18-200, i will advise against it.
Firstly, a 18-200 is meant for a all rounder lens. Thus, you may not even want to bring out/change lenses in low light for the larger aperture because its quite restrictive, especially if you are not used to primes at all.

Also, im not sure if you noticed anything wrong with the quality of your images. Im an ex owner of the 18200 and i feel that the quality is not there. Plenty of chroma noise when you pixel peep, and for travel, you'll tend to take many snap shots. This is when you start to realise if you dont use good technique ie posture, breathing, many pictures will turn out soft and blurry because the lens is too slow. At 200mm 5.6 with inadequate technique, it wont get you far. Keeper rate is low. Thus instead of primes, aim for quality zooms. Choices such as tamron 17-50 non vc/vc , canon's17-55, 15-85, or at least a 17-85. You'll have more luck with better pictures with better quality glass.

If i were allowed to make a bold suggestion, rather than couple your 18-200 with another lens (trust me you'll seldom use the 100-200mm range if you scroll through your previous travel pics), sell it and get a quality zoom such as 17-55 (1200 SGD 2nd hand/ 1500 SGD 1st hand), and get a UWA such as the tokina 11-16 f2.8,sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 (reviews say its better than the newer sigma 10-20 f3.5) or the canon 10-22. If you travel a lot a UWA is a must.

Hope i helped :thumbsup:

lol... who says primes are restrictive? compared to zoom lens of cos it is (in terms of focal length). but once u start using prime lens, trust me, u will throw your zoom lens one side because when it comes to widest aperture, the max u can get on a zoom lens is only f2.8 while prime lens gets u up to f1.2 or f1.4. ;p

anyway prime lens to couple with his 18-200 is for low light/indoor shoot purpose, my first lens is also 18-200 but in low light, its horrible unless u bump up your iso or use flash.

to be bolder then you.

i rather TS to get sigma 30mm (*optional), canon 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4 if got budget to burn) and 85mm f1.8 then sell his 18-200. dun really even need to get an external flash anymore if using solely primes.

Last edited:
lol... who says primes are restrictive? compared to zoom lens of cos it is (in terms of focal length). but once u start using prime lens, trust me, u will throw your zoom lens one side because when it comes to widest aperture, the max u can get on a zoom lens is only f2.8 while prime lens gets u up to f1.2 or f1.4. ;p

anyway prime lens to couple with his 18-200 is for low light/indoor shoot purpose, my first lens is also 18-200 but in low light, its horrible unless u bump up your iso or use flash.

to be bolder then you.

i rather TS to get sigma 30mm (*optional), canon 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4 if got budget to burn) and 85mm f1.8 then sell his 18-200. dun really even need to get an external flash anymore if using solely primes.

Hi Bro sinned,
its nice to see someone so passionate for prime lenses. And yes you are much bolder to suggest throwing away his zoom for 3 primes ZOMG. For a prime lover like you its a natural choice, but it might not be so practical for TS since i feel he is more accustomed to zooms.

Yes a flash will mostly be redundant but it also depends on your type of shots. Imagine him bringing the 3 lenses you suggested and frantically changing them to suit his FOV at the moment of time. Time lost + moment lost = GG-fied.

Yes its a good choice if you know what you're doing. But i think for most of us, going all primes is a no-no.

Anyway bro Sinned saw your HK pics with your 135, 35L and your UWA. Lovely ;p (hope i remembered the lenses correctly lol)

Hi Bro sinned,
its nice to see someone so passionate for prime lenses. And yes you are much bolder to suggest throwing away his zoom for 3 primes ZOMG. For a prime lover like you its a natural choice, but it might not be so practical for TS since i feel he is more accustomed to zooms.

Yes a flash will mostly be redundant but it also depends on your type of shots. Imagine him bringing the 3 lenses you suggested and frantically changing them to suit his FOV at the moment of time. Time lost + moment lost = GG-fied.

Yes its a good choice if you know what you're doing. But i think for most of us, going all primes is a no-no.

Anyway bro Sinned saw your HK pics with your 135, 35L and your UWA. Lovely ;p (hope i remembered the lenses correctly lol)

u just need to get adjusted to prime lens. anyway my melbourne photos coming up soon. watch out for it! :D

Thanks all for the advice! I will definitely take some time to digest it.

I normally take portrait shots (with scenic background), but less of landscape.

Sorry i do not know the terms used in photograhy.

Get the lens in Japan will be better since you will be here for a while....
Come to japan and use your current set-up and decide later what you prefer to shot at.

If you come to Japan I will recomm you a few shops in Tokyo that they have many cheap and good lens in the market.

No need to rush take you time....;)

P/S : You sound like a newbie

Last edited:
If you're not a landscape-type of person and you want a good walkabout lens then the 17-55 f/2.8 would kick butt. However, for Japan, I'd prefer the 10-22. I think Japan is gorgeous and I love landscapes so the 10-22 is my preferred lens (but that's just me).