which lens to use for Formula 1??

Status
Not open for further replies.

john101

Apr 16, 2008
hi, i am going to the Formula 1 race in Singapore. i am confused between renting a canon 70-200f 2.8 and a 300mm f4. the race will be at night so the 70-200 would be better but i lose the distance. advice please.?? or any other recommended lens?

thanks.. :cool:

70-200 with TC

TC affects the aperture as well. He might as well rent a 300mm.

i think it's better off wif the other lens. at least he can varies his focal length. anyway how far is he going to be from the cars? he might loose the cars easily if too narrow the focal length.

it will be just like shooting in daylight, otherwise safety for the F1 drivers would be put in danger as it will be to dark.
Will get some nice black backround though. Light fall off will be big probably if they are just lighting the track.
I would just bring you 70-200
if you want to rent the 300 f4, make sure you have the 70-200 with you aswell, i think semi wide angle would look good

If you have been walking around the race venue... you will notice the metal grills that have been placed up there.

ANd if you have noticed the metal grills placed up there, you would notice that it has a size.

The choice of lens you would bring is dependent on if you can squeeze the lens through the holes in the metal grills.

if you walk around the race circuit now in the evening, u can see the lighting they are gonna use up and working already...

If you have been walking around the race venue... you will notice the metal grills that have been placed up there.

ANd if you have noticed the metal grills placed up there, you would notice that it has a size.

The choice of lens you would bring is dependent on if you can squeeze the lens through the holes in the metal grills.

I dont think you can reach the high fence (those you see erected around town.) That is the first barrier, behind that there will be another barrier at most places. If i remember the drawings that were published. 2 barriers between the crowd and the track and another barrier behind the crowd.

The other option of unobstructed view would be to take from Grand Stands. I think 70-200mm quite short. I am thinking of bringing something like 80-400mm. Also from unconfirmed sources, the lightings are suspose to turn night into day around the track.

it will be just like shooting in daylight, otherwise safety for the F1 drivers would be put in danger as it will be to dark.
I heard there will be 3,000,000 watts worth of lighting installed for this race so it will be just like day time around the track...

Average track illumination will be 3000 lumens.

Yeah, if you go to the track areas in the evening, you'll see how bright it is. But, correct me if I'm wrong, according to the regulations, there's a limit of 200mm for lenses carried in?

EDIT: Ooh, seems like this clause has been removed... was at clause 17 at the SGPF1 FAQ

Last edited:
Yeah, if you go to the track areas in the evening, you'll see how bright it is. But, correct me if I'm wrong, there's a limit of 200mm for lenses carried in?

This has already been discussed to death. The limit is gone.

thanks guys. i will be sitting on the upper seats. so don't think will be affected by the fence. but will a little far away from the track. think i will just go with the 300mm. but do you think f4 is enough to take photos in the night, even when the lights are on. anyway, how will the TC affect the aperture?
never used one before.
thanks.

Last edited:
thanks guys. i will be sitting on the upper seats. so don't think will be affected by the fence. but will a little far away from the track. think i will just go with the 300mm. but do you think f4 is enough to take photos in the night, even when the lights are on. anyway, how will the TC affect the aperture?
never used one before.
thanks.

depends on your body, if using 1dm3 bump to iso 6400 using f/4 still ok but ofcourse f/2 or f/2.8 is better.

If u can bring a 400mm, that wud be better depending on how high u sit.

The 3,000 lumens wasn't for the drivers to see at night, it was for the media, so definitely bright enough for u. ISO6400 shd not be necessary.

Definitely go out and try out the lighting now... the track's quite bright, I've tried shooting from a bus and at ISO800 or so, 1/200@f4 is doable, so 1/400 should be ok at f2.8.

btw possible to shoot without a ticket? i mean shoot outside the fence.. if can, anyone interested to go together? haha....

yeah, seems the fence is quite high..unless probably sitting at the higher position then can get some good shots.

Here's a shot with the Lighting, but imagine if the car is 3x-5x faster?:sweat:

2852224931_108e276214_o.jpg

I think we just enjoy the fun and athmosphere there...;p

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.