which lens to recommend?

cirlu

Aug 14, 2013
YCK
Hi guys,

I am very new in the camera arena.

I have recently purchased a ep3 and Im curious on what kind of lens should i be using if most of the pictures i take are self shots and some scenic kind of shots.

At the moment, I only have the 14-42 kit lens.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you guys soon :)

Stick to the lens you have now. When you reach a point where you understand focal length and hit some limitations, then you'll naturally know what you need to get. Don't buy until you know what you really need.

Im curious on what kind of lens should i be using if most of the pictures i take are self shots and some scenic kind of shots.

At the moment, I only have the 14-42 kit lens.

I would think the 14-42mm zoom would be a great zoom to start with on the EP3.

For landscape shots perhaps later downstream in the hobby you might even consider having a wider focal length.

But as Rashkae mentioned, after some practicing with what you have now, you will grow to learn what you want / not want next.

Ryan

Stick to the lens you have now. When you reach a point where you understand focal length and hit some limitations, then you'll naturally know what you need to get. Don't buy until you know what you really need.
Thanks Rashkae for your advice :)

I would think the 14-42mm zoom would be a great zoom to start with on the EP3.

For landscape shots perhaps later downstream in the hobby you might even consider having a wider focal length.

But as Rashkae mentioned, after some practicing with what you have now, you will grow to learn what you want / not want next.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. Loved the photos that was from your link.

Used to own the ep3. The 14-42 kit lens are quite decent n good enough for most cases.
I personally like the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens. It quite an old lens and bit noisy on the focusing. But I like the compact size and the IQ of the lens.

Used to own the ep3. The 14-42 kit lens are quite decent n good enough for most cases.
I personally like the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens. It quite an old lens and bit noisy on the focusing. But I like the compact size and the IQ of the lens.

Thanks I read that they got a new version of it but the there isn't much improvement on the lens part. just minor improvements on the body, but it's decently priced compared to the 17mm from olympus

Heard good things about the Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8

haha quite expensive. can get a new ep3 for that price. :(

If you think that's ex.... You're in the wrong hobby LOL

I have lots and lots of fun with my 14-42mm lens for a long long time (from EPL1 to OMD), then I decided to 'upgrade' to my current 12-50mm, but still carries my 14-42mm everywhere with me as a backup lens.

You don't need all the extremely expensive lenses, just your kit lens and that is enough.

You can try your hands on some vintage manual lenses and use it with an adapter on your ep3. Yes it's manual focus, but you can use the focus assist function on your camera to help.

Some legendary lenses like Carl zeiss are really value for money.

You can try your hands on some vintage manual lenses and use it with an adapter on your ep3. Yes it's manual focus, but you can use the focus assist function on your camera to help.

Some legendary lenses like Carl zeiss are really value for money.

Get d contax CY zeiss 50/1.7. Less than 400 bucks n sharp as hell, Bokehlicious n performs well in low light.

yes, good buy right?

Yes bro. Thanks. But alwayz got poisoned by d Leica Summilux 50/1.4 asph lens. Haiz.

I do agree with all the advices that play with the 14-42mm lens first. It should be able to last you for quite a while. I also started from this kit lens and then progress to Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4 (great lens!).

Thank you all for your advice :)
I'm also thinking of the 25mm but until I figure out which are my commonly used focal length I will not be getting a prime for now *hopefully I can resist all the temptation*