Which Lens to go with Canon 7D body

wm910

Oct 20, 2010
Hi Everyone,

Recently i just bought a Canon 7D body but am not sure which lens should i buy to go along with it. I been thinking of the 17-55mm lens or? Hoping to get a lens for travel and good to learn with the camera as i am a newbie to DSLR.

Thanks

Kit lens is good for learning.
Are you trying to imply that you will learn better with a better lens?
What are the things you like to shoot during your travel?

Last edited:
Do a search, it has been discussed here a couple of times already!

Wow! I wish I could start with a 7D! I'm going travelling soon too and I also happen to be hunting for a 17-55 f/2.8
If you're learning, I would reccommend a general purpose lens as opposed to a specific lens eg. telephoto, prime or macro lens.
The 17 to 55 is a good general purpose lens, but what's your budget? I do know that its out of my budget. If your pockets are deeper, perhaps wanna consider the L lenses? They are weather sealed :D
I have a 18-135 that is serving me well in terms of purpose, but image quality is horrible. I think that range of focal lengths is good though.

any canon lens will do, kit lens or L lenses, still take pictures, so which one is solely up to you..

if u think the 17-55 is good for u, go ahead....

to sum it up:

if you have the extra cash to spare, you can of course buy the Canon 17-55 which is undoubtedly the most popular choice for 7D. it's good for walkabout but if you want to take landscape, you will need to get another UWA like the Canon 10-22 or Tokina 11-16. or if you are into sports like F1, the Canon 70-200 is unescapable.

if not, you can always get the Tamron's 17-50 which is almost 1/3 the price.

for me, the tamron served me brilliantly. bought a sigma 30mm f1.4 for portrait shoots as well.

eyeing on the tokina 11-16 now.. ggrarr.

good luck and read up more on the threads that's available in here! full of info, you just need to dig them up.

Kit lens is good for learning.
Are you trying to imply that you will learn better with a better lens?
What are the things you like to shoot during your travel?

Oh no bro of course i don't mean that its the man behind the camera as advise by many bros. the reason why i ask is because i am not sure which lens to get basically i like to shoot food and nice landscape pictures hopefully a walkabout lens.

to sum it up:

if you have the extra cash to spare, you can of course buy the Canon 17-55 which is undoubtedly the most popular choice for 7D. it's good for walkabout but if you want to take landscape, you will need to get another UWA like the Canon 10-22 or Tokina 11-16. or if you are into sports like F1, the Canon 70-200 is unescapable.

if not, you can always get the Tamron's 17-50 which is almost 1/3 the price.

for me, the tamron served me brilliantly. bought a sigma 30mm f1.4 for portrait shoots as well.

eyeing on the tokina 11-16 now.. ggrarr.

good luck and read up more on the threads that's available in here! full of info, you just need to dig them up.

Thanks Bro for your advice are u using a 7D as well??

yup, i'm using a 7D as well :)

actually for travelling lens, if you don't mind the weight and load of different lenses, you can actually bring different lens for different purposes. however, if you want to travel light with 1 camera 1 lens, you will have to get the 18-200 range where you will have to forgo the IQ, esp sharpness.

Last edited:
Oh no bro of course i don't mean that its the man behind the camera as advise by many bros. the reason why i ask is because i am not sure which lens to get basically i like to shoot food and nice landscape pictures hopefully a walkabout lens.

err... you did not have any lens after getting the body?? By all means go get the 17-55. This is a range covering from wide to low mid zoom. Most commonly use zoom range. Should be enough for food, landscape and walkabout for starters.

I did a walkabout using the tamron 17-50. Trying to shoot at low light condition without flash handheld. Trying hard not to get iso above 800. Managed to get some decent images.
5046618394_28bcee6f54.jpg

Last edited:
err... you did not have any lens after getting the body?? By all means go get the 17-55. This is a range covering from wide to low mid zoom. Most commonly use zoom range. Should be enough for food, landscape and walkabout for starters.

I did a walkabout using the tamron 17-50. Trying to shoot at low light condition without flash handheld. Trying hard not to get iso above 800. Managed to get some decent images.
5046618394_28bcee6f54.jpg

Nice picture.. Ok i will consider both the 17-55mm and 3rd party lens like Tokina tamron etc if the Canon 17-55mm gets too pricy..

My travel lens is Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which I think is worked very well so far. So if you're looking at the Canon 17-55mm, then I would say it's a good choice.

My travel lens is Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which I think is worked very well so far. So if you're looking at the Canon 17-55mm, then I would say it's a good choice.

Thanks to all the seniors for your time and advice i really appreciate it. Below are some homework i did by calling the shops for their quote on the 17-55mm f2.8 lens

The price includes gst and credit card admin charge for 12months instalment plan:

Cathay Photo: $1600
Parisilk Holland V: $1570
SLR Revolution: $1594
Orient Photo: $1590
The camera Workshop: $1522 Parallel Import 1 year warranty from Shop itself.

Thanks to all the seniors for your time and advice i really appreciate it. Below are some homework i did by calling the shops for their quote on the 17-55mm f2.8 lens

The price includes gst and credit card admin charge for 12months instalment plan:

Cathay Photo: $1600
Parisilk Holland V: $1570
SLR Revolution: $1594
Orient Photo: $1590
The camera Workshop: $1522 Parallel Import 1 year warranty from Shop itself.

Why not buy with cash? Anyway the price looks ok. The camera workshop is selling grey set? means parallel import with no warranty, shop warranty may be provided.
Anyway I am loving the tamron 17-50, you should be able to get it for less than 640.

About "The Camera Workshop", you might want to do some a search on some topics about them and their business style.

Hi Thanks i will do a search and review on them now..thanks for the advice

Why not buy with cash? Anyway the price looks ok. The camera workshop is selling grey set? means parallel import with no warranty, shop warranty may be provided.
Anyway I am loving the tamron 17-50, you should be able to get it for less than 640.

Ya bro cash is good but cant wait already bonus only come in around Jan so have to pay first by cc...yup shop warranty only

before making the purchase, find out what other purchases that you might made along with the lens you will be purchasing. For example uv filter. Find out the thread size and do a search for a suitable uv filter and the reasonable price if you are intending to get one.