which lens to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbykat

Jun 7, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
hi all, got my F100 not too long ago together with the 50mm 1.4.
was told by the seller to get D lenses "as they are better" but i do not know why so. what's the difference between D and G nikkor lenses? heard they are the same correct?

i need advise on what other lenses to get for portraiture and weddings. been using my friend's 24-50D and 105 f2.8. thinking of getting the 24-85D f2.8-4 but i heard it's not as good as the 24-85G f3.5-4.5 in terms of sharpness when on 24mm.

please let me know your experiences with these lenses if you own them and which do you think i should get. don't tell me 28-70 f2.8 becoz i have no budget for that haha! ;p

thanks!

D lens has the chip inside the lens thats supplies distance info to the camera body. main deal about this is that it allows for more accurate info for the electronics when shootign with flash

G lens has no aperture ring. if u mount a nikkor G lens onto f90x or manual focus body...theres no way to set aperture. u will be only be able to shoot at f22/f32

tubbykat said:
hi all, got my F100 not too long ago together with the 50mm 1.4.
was told by the seller to get D lenses "as they are better" but i do not know why so. what's the difference between D and G nikkor lenses? heard they are the same correct?

i need advise on what other lenses to get for portraiture and weddings. been using my friend's 24-50D and 105 f2.8. thinking of getting the 24-85D f2.8-4 but i heard it's not as good as the 24-85G f3.5-4.5 in terms of sharpness when on 24mm.

please let me know your experiences with these lenses if you own them and which do you think i should get. don't tell me 28-70 f2.8 becoz i have no budget for that haha! ;p

thanks!

Sigma:- 28mm-105mm F2.8-4. light and sharp.....plastic build.
Tamron:- 24mm-135mm Marco F3.5-5.6. Very well build and a very sharp.
Nikon:- 24mm-120mm VR F3.5-5.6G. Very well build. A plus on it's VR.

all these lens are very suitable for wedding shoot-out. need not to change lens now and then......

tubbykat have a look at the AF-D 28-105/3.5-4.5, excellent lens and will also give you 1:2 macro at 50-105mm setting

Clive, G series lens can be used on cameras like the F90/F4 in P and S modes.

Well since digital body and no other can try 18-70 DX (only for diigital body) and Sigma 70-300 Apo. Since getting this combination I think it is the best value for money combination and covers everything from wide angle to tele. Both lens cost less than $750 very light on pocket and also very light to carry.

i bought the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 less than a week ago, not very happy with it, heard that it's more for DSLRs than film SLR. have only taken a few shots with it, somehow the images (maybe i'm bias) don't seem to be as nice as the ones taken with the nikkor 24-50.

james, i do not understand the 1:2 ratio for macro? enlighten me, thanks.

tubbykat said:
james, i do not understand the 1:2 ratio for macro? enlighten me, thanks.

With macro 1:1 is life size and 1:2 is half life size

:embrass: :embrass: Sorry did not see properly your camera body, can skip the 18-70 but can consider 24-120 VR or 24-84 f2.8/4

Dennis said:
Well since digital body and no other can try 18-70 DX (only for diigital body) and Sigma 70-300 Apo. Since getting this combination I think it is the best value for money combination and covers everything from wide angle to tele. Both lens cost less than $750 very light on pocket and also very light to carry.

I'm not sure of your interest.

At the moment, two bodies of F100 with three favorite lenses.

There were 24mm, 50mm and 85mm.

Cheers. ;)

Have you try the Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 ATX Pro, was told that there is a promotion recently at CP selling less than $500 ? Can check with them .. :)

I am using the old version Tokina 28-70mmf2.6-f2.8 ATX Pro series brought somewhere in 1998 ... and it still served me very well using on my F100.

I agreed with Knight Ong. The Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro is indeed a very good buy and produces good results. The Tokina 28-80 ATX Pro f/2.8 is however more favorable to me in terms of 'feel'.

I owned the Nikkor AFS 24-85 f/3.5 -4.5. Its lightweight, good for travelling and produces very good results. One flaw is the head protruding out whenever u zoom in. It becomes a 'vacumn' machine sucking in dust. Well, i got no problem getting sharp pictures nevertheless. I bought mine for S$ 580 at John 3:16 (Funan Center)

Status
Not open for further replies.