Which lens to get..?

abc1def2ghi3

Nov 2, 2009
Hey ppl, I'm having a headache over 2 lens as i'm planning to get a tele lens.. Its between Nikon 70-200 VRII and Nikon 70-300 VR.. Though both range are almost the same but the prices are wide apart.. And there another lens which came in mind that is the Nikon 80-200mm F2.8 lens.. Hope u can give advise b4 i lay down on my bet.. Thanks..;)

Have you read reviews to see why the prices are wide apart? Do you need those features / functions that make the price gap? A lens is more than just the zoom range, seems you have missed a few details so far.

Just list out your requirements, and go for the one that satisfy most of those requirements. That simple.

Got my 70-200 F2.8 VRII, as I may shoot under low light and indoor. Need the VR as I plan not to use the tripod.

Happy choosing and searching, that also part of the enjoyment for this hobby.

From your questions, I suggest you get the 55-200mm instead.

Hey ppl, I'm having a headache over 2 lens as i'm planning to get a tele lens.. Its between Nikon 70-200 VRII and Nikon 70-300 VR.. Though both range are almost the same but the prices are wide apart.. And there another lens which came in mind that is the Nikon 80-200mm F2.8 lens.. Hope u can give advise b4 i lay down on my bet.. Thanks..;)

It's obvious if u have the budget for it. The best lens in this category is the 70-200 VR2. Anything else is becos u do not have the $$ for it or wieght is more important than picture quality.

Have ur read up their reviews online? do a comparatibve analysis of those u shortlisted? Planning to use it more day/night? Primary usage for? Each has its own pros and limitations, and with additional functions (like VR and additional Asphercial lens elements), a hefty price tag is bound to come with it..

What kind of photos do you wish to take in what conditions with tele lens? Normal Street? Concerts? Glad you asked..

Do you need the f/2.8?

70-300VR < 80-200 < 70-200VR
$1000 < $1200-$1500 < $2500-$3k
all in terms of price and technical quality so how much you want to spend and see where it falls and that your answer:devil:

are few question....
1. do u required f2.8?
2. do u need VR?
3. what's ur're budget...like u said price diff. is wide.
Personally...70-200 f2.8 is worth the price. maybe VR1 instead of VR2??? a little cheaper if u can still get it...

Personally, I think you already have a choice in your heart btw the 2 lens :cool:
If budget is not really a big problem, always get the best & stop those time consuming comparison :D

Hey ppl, thks for the reply..

1) I need to take photos in low light as there might be low light conditions when taking functions.
2) I also take photos during the day whether locally or overseas.
3) I think VR function is needed as in case of any movement of the lens when taking the photos.
:eek:

also to note, are you comfortable with the weight of 70-200 vr? the lens itself is about 1.5kg, 80-200 is about 1.4kg, whereas the 70-300vr is only 750g, do not forget that you still have to take into consideration of the camera weight, and occasionally you may need to mount an external flash.

try to rent the lenses and try it yourself, see which one feels better in your hand, no point getting a 70-200vr but end up leaving in dry cabinet because of the weight.

cheers!

From your questions, I will advise you to get a 70-300 VR. Sometimes while using my 70-200VR, I yearn for the added reach and lightweight of the 70-300VR.

Last edited:
i'm currently having a Nikon D200 wid its kit len of 18-70mm, hence, i'm have the plan of getting a zoom lens..