Which lens to get?

GeneralApex

Nov 15, 2010
Hi all, I got no idea which lens to get for the following. (Nikon 24-70 f2.8 or Tamron 24-70 f2.8) and another range I would like to get is (Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR2 or Tamron 70-200 f2.8 vc USD). Hope to hear some opinion from you guys.

I'm considering to get these lens thus I hv done research on it, based on those review info as below

24-70, Tamron has advantage on VC and price, Nikon slightly on performance
70-200, Tamron on price, performance about the same

Tamron 24-70 vc. I am thinking of it too. Best price I found was at Piccel (Funan) @ $1,3xx, local set and can even use credit card.

IMHO, VC or VR or none of it makes no difference if you are photographing action / sports / fast moving events on the fly. There simply isn't ample time for the VC or VR to settle before pulling the trigger when one be shooting at shutter speeds double that of the action to freeze it. Firing off shots when the VR / VC is trying to settle in can cause camera shake instead of eliminating it.

VR does come in handy when shooting at long focal lengths hand held or on a tripod even when your shutter speed is less than the reciprocal of the focal length and there is time for the VR to settle in. It is also helpful for panning shots to a certain extent. Shooting at lesser than the reciprocal of the focal length usually occurs for me when I need more exposure to expose the subject by slowing down the shutter speed given the ISO | lighting | Aperture conditions.

So it depends on what you want to use those lenses primary for and if carrying a tripod is an option.

If you can afford it, the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II is the one lens you can keep for a long time to come. For this lens, "The poor man always pay twice' applies until there is another F mount that can rival it because for this lens, the speed of the AF can decide if you get the shot or not.

Hi all, I got no idea which lens to get for the following. (Nikon 24-70 f2.8 or Tamron 24-70 f2.8) and another range I would like to get is (Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR2 or Tamron 70-200 f2.8 vc USD). Hope to hear some opinion from you guys.

Last edited:
Yep totally agree. VC/VR only helps if u are the one shaking. If its the subject moving then it won't help. But since the tamron is half tue price with the VR thrown in so I'd still go with the tamron.

They are all good for what they does.

look at your budget..and get the one that u really want or will make u a happier person.

catch em all

thx for all the reply guys, I think I will get tamron as price is more reasonable and also performers wise is different by just a little.

thx for all the reply guys, I think I will get tamron as price is more reasonable and also performers wise is different by just a little.

Actually, performance wise, there is quite a big difference. I would go Nikon any day over the tamron.

I seem to get differing reviews from folks who owned the Tamron lens as opposed from the online reviews.

I am a happy user of the Tamron 24-70 VC & Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII on my D800. I find having VC/ VR on 24-70 & 70-200 range to be very useful.
As for Ultra wide lens VC or VR not necessary to have so 14-24mm f2.8 or 17-35mm f2.8 are my pick.

Last edited:
There is one thing always bother me is the color rendition of different lens maker. If I mixed lens from different lens maker when I do a series of photograph, I do noticed a small different of color rendition of each lens maker.

"Different glasses used by the various makers tend to make for slight color changes. You'd think that automatic white balancing might help with removing that, but in practice, once you've got a slightly different spectral mix heading towards the sensor, you're going to get a slightly different spectral mix recorded in your shots. It's basically similar to using a hue shift. In my experience, each manufacturer is relatively consistent in their coloration. Going from warmest (yellow) to coldest (magenta) in balance: Sigma, Tamron, Nikon, Tokina." By Thom Hogan.

Even-though it is just a small problem but in order to keep the consistency in terms of color, I will try to avoid mix lens from diferrent makers. Maybe something you can take into consideration as well. =)

There will always be color variations between different lenses even if you stick to the same manufacturer.

A simple example with be the:
- Nikon AF 85mm f/1.4D
- Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4G

Same manufacturer, same type of lens (fast f/1.4 85mm prime), but significant difference in color reproduction. Of course, the former was designed and manufactured over 10 years ago.

Even if you compare lenses in the current line-up, such as the:

- Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G
- Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4G

There is still a difference in color, albeit less so.

Tom Hogan's statement is certainly true. It is reasonable that each manufacturer employs their proprietary design, manufacturing techniques, coatings and technology, which may result in different color rendition of the same scene.

However, sticking to the same manufacturer does not truly solve the problem either. Instead, I advocate a better understanding of color to aid in post processing.

Buying a Nikon camera is to use the high-quality Nikon lenses, but you are considering other independent brand, it is difficult to understand.

I am of similar belief.

When one buys a particular brand of camera, one is buying into that manufacturer's system. And their lenses are the key part of the system.

Therefore, the first choice should be that manufacturer's lenses unless
1) they do not offer the focal length that you require
2) they do not offer the technical feature that you require e.g. VR
3) their lens is priced beyond your budget

All the best with your decision making.