Which lens to get???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joshua T

Man, i'm quite confuse at what lens to get for my Nikon FG. i'm interested in buying the AF28-105mm 2nd hand, but i dunno if its really worth the money.

can u guys tell me what good zoom lenses are there?
abt 24-120mm, preferable f/2.5. And i dun mind second hand ones in gd condition. My budget, max is $400.

Pls HELP! hee hee! thanks.

Originally posted by Joshua T
Man, i'm quite confuse at what lens to get for my Nikon FG. i'm interested in buying the AF28-105mm 2nd hand, but i dunno if its really worth the money.

can u guys tell me what good zoom lenses are there?
abt 24-120mm, preferable f/2.5. And i dun mind second hand ones in gd condition. My budget, max is $400.

Pls HELP! hee hee! thanks.

I don't think there's any zoom faster than f/2.8, let alone f/2.5, and you're talking about 24-120 here. The only one I know is the Nikkor AF 24-120mm f/4-5.6, and it's not a very good lens.

Regards
CK

then what good and versatile zoom lens would u recommend?

Originally posted by Joshua T
then what good and versatile zoom lens would u recommend?

Tamron 24-135 SP len, but it is around $600++ price range.
I can say that it is a very good len and I always bring it along while doing photography. ;)

Originally posted by ckiang

The only one I know is the Nikkor AF 24-120mm f/4-5.6, and it's not a very good lens.

Regards
CK
yah, it's just that the name is nice. :rbounce:

I have done a test on 3 Nikon lenses (35-70mm f2.8AFD, 50mm f1.8AF and 28-105mm f3.5AFD) and all fixed at the same focal length: 50mm, taking the same picture of a brick wall.

At the end of the test and to be fair to all 3 lenses tested, I asked a friend to comment on the slides. Surprisingly, but quite rightly, my friend chose the best of the slides taken by the 28-105mm lens.

A review done by other photographers on the 28-105mm lens is also highly rated. Since then, I have come to term that non-prime or variable-aperture lens like the 28-105mm can also be a winner.

The focal range of this lens is without doubt a blessing to all photographers. This lens also has a useful macro mode, capable of half life-size reproduction. Thumbs up!

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by jasphotography
I have done a test on 3 Nikon lenses (35-70mm f2.8AFD, 50mm f1.8AF and 28-105mm f3.5AFD) and all fixed at the same focal length: 50mm, taking the same picture of a brick wall.

At the end of the test and to be fair to all 3 lenses tested, I asked a friend to comment on the slides. Surprisingly, but quite rightly, my friend chose the best of the slides taken by the 28-105mm lens.

A review done by other photographers on the 28-105mm lens is also highly rated. Since then, I have come to term that non-prime or variable-aperture lens like the 28-105mm can also be a winner.

The focal range of this lens is without doubt a blessing to all photographers. This lens also has a useful macro mode, capable of half life-size reproduction. Thumbs up!

:thumbsup:

The 28-105 is indeed a great lens, BUT its relatively slow aperture of f/3.5-4.5 severely limits available light shooting. Like most zoom lenses, it's also soft wide open and at full wide angle. Things improve tremendously at f/5.6 onwards.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

The 28-105 is indeed a great lens, BUT its relatively slow aperture of f/3.5-4.5 severely limits available light shooting. Like most zoom lenses, it's also soft wide open and at full wide angle. Things improve tremendously at f/5.6 onwards.

Regards
CK

I agree... that's why I still keep the Nikon AFD 35-70mm f2.8 lens over the 28-105. The bigger aperture (small f value) of the 35-70 also mean you get a BRIGHTER image through the viewfinder of the camera, and hence allow quicker and precise manual focusing.

But still... I miss the 28-105mm lens terribly especially when I need the extra focal length at both ends (wide angle and telephoto).:cry:

Nevertheless, I think the relatively slow aperture (f3.5-4.5) of the 28-105mm lens should be able to cope with Singapore's bright & sunny all year round weather :cool:. Not an advisable lens for Europe weather though.

Actually, comparing Nikkors and Cannon lenses, which is cheaper and better?

Status
Not open for further replies.