Which lens to get for newbie?

Jazzye

Sep 9, 2012
Jurong
Hi peeps,

I'm totally new to DSLR and I'm into getting my first Camera!

It'll either be a Nikon D5000 or a Canon 500D.

Problem is, should I get the kit lens that comes with the camera?
Or opt for a 50mm F1.8 lens?
I can only afford ONE lens now.

I'll be using it for when I go for vacations (that means taking photos of food, people, scenary),
and also for taking protrait shots.

Please advise me!

Thanks! :)

try using the kit lens 1st, also got 50mm just not it's not 1.8 =)

Use your kit lens. There's a good reason they usually bundle that focal range with the camera - it covers the common focal range.

For portrait shots (note that it's portrait, not "protrait") the 50mm f/1.8 will give you a more blurred background, but you may struggle with composition for everything else. So just get the standard kit lens.

There's a reason why its called a kit lens.
Since you can only afford one lens, go with the kit. You cant go wrong with it.

Kit lens is ok too. if you are looking for large aperture prime, why not try use 35mm first? I found 50mm sometimes too tight especially in confined area.
D5000 is APS-C, so if you get a 50mm the equiv is about 75mm, while 35mm is equiv to 52.5mm.

Why are you considering those two models only? Why not look at other brands or get something newer like D3200?

Hi, cost I'm only willing to spend about 500ish for the camera, as I'm really really new to DSLR.
So seems like only the Canon 50D and Nikon D5000 fits into my budget.
Do you have recommendations? :)

Thanks guys! I'm so grateful for the replies!
Now I feel more comfortable with getting just the kit lens for now.

Cheers! :)

Hi, cost I'm only willing to spend about 500ish for the camera, as I'm really really new to DSLR.
So seems like only the Canon 50D and Nikon D5000 fits into my budget.
Do you have recommendations? :)

Personally, I recommend Pentax K-R (2nd hand if you can find it. The specs of this K-R rivals some mid tier DSLRs of Canon and Nikon) over the 2 you have listed if you can push your budget to ~600...

The kit lens that is packaged together (regardless of systems) is actually quite enough to allow you to learn about the basics.

also note that D5000 does not have internal focussing motor, limiting your lens choices to SWM lens only. Unless you want to do manual focus that is.

TS. Dont confused yourself.
Just use the kit lens..:)

Haha! Thanks for the lesson in my spelling error as well as tips on the lens.

Tell u a secret, I am using kit lens from my D5100 to shoot company events. Don't look down on kit lens ok.

I read somewhere
"Newbie look for gears; Professional look for lights; Master look for vision".

$500 budget can get you a canon 500D + Kit lens + 50mm f/1.8 in B&S here.
Some sellers may throw in useful freebies.

Wow really? That'll be great if there's any seller offering this deal.
Currently I've been quoted $500 for body + kit lens, or body + 50mm F1.8 lens.

Wow really? That'll be great if there's any seller offering this deal.
Currently I've been quoted $500 for body + kit lens, or body + 50mm F1.8 lens.

Use the search function near the top right corner and you will see sellers offering $400+ for 500D + Kit

Kit lens will give you more bang for the bucks. It is an easier starter lens and can do more for you from wide-angle shots in tight space (eg small room) to telephoto shots to bring the action closer to you.

Before you plunge, it is also a good idea to find out about the characteristics of the various brands be it Nikon, Canon, Pentax or Sony or any other brands. If you have people you can borrow gears from, consider the brand they are using. It could be a little far off, but the forward planning could save you money later. After your initial body and kit lens purchase, your gears and accessories will logically grow (eg that 50 f1.8, flash....etc). But if you realise then that you prefer another brand because of certain certain reasons, you will lose $ switching system at that stage. Btw, I suppose you have done your homework and decided that a dslr is what you need?