Which Lens to buy?

Jarsofclay

Oct 26, 2010
Jurong West
Hi guys, i'm gonna get a Canon 550D sometime this week.

I'm new towards this hobby thus am not sure which lens to purchase for my 550D.

would it be better to take kit 1 which is the 18-55mm ? or kit 2 (18-135mm) lens?

I'm mostly photographing on people and scenery.

It is like 135mm can zoom more ?

can anyone advise on the price of 18-135mm lens on it own?

Buy the 18-135mm. Maybe this just what you need!

Or maybe you would like to read up some basics before even buying?

Agree... don't rush into any system until you are familiar with most of them (Ahem, this includes Pentax and Sony (Minolta legacy), etc). Lenses should be your primary focus, second comes DSLR body... Once you're set on the range you're keen of growing into (for future purchases) then consider which camera body you should start with. All systems have good kit lenses to start with, so please look further past kit lenses if you want to last longer in this hobby/passion/whachamacallit... Also be mindful of the prices as well, CS keeps a good list of equipment prices - so do make good use of them.

Lastly but not least important, welcome! :)

I like to go with most what people advice.
However, do consider 18-200 or a combination of 18-55 and 55-200 also.

I would advise you to go ahead with the Kit 2, with the 135mm lens, more reach will come in handy in countless situation as you shoot :)

As for the price of that lens, perhaps you can check out the Canon price guide when you scroll down the forum!

Great links. Thanks for helping to share them with others to spread the joy. ;)

would it be better to take kit 1 which is the 18-55mm ? or kit 2 (18-135mm) lens?

Like what others have mentioned. I would go with Kit 2.

Kit lens are meant for you to make full use and abuse it to the max since they are cheap and also a good start for you to learn lots of things at this initial stage. Ones you have master the skill you will realized how good the kit lens is to some extend. at this point, you will seriously consider getting other lens carefully to cater to your style and needs instead of picking it like in wet market.. ^^

Go read the link posted by DD123. If you get into a DSLR without understanding the full extent of the lenses, it is as good as going into it blindly...

any budget you have in mind?

Just to share with you my experience with D80 and 18-135 kit lens.
I felt that I didn't really use the tele end much, so it was a no-brainer to sell off this lens and focus on shorter focal lengths.

In the end, people who favour the telephoto range will say "get the 18-135" whilst people who like wider angles will say just stick to the 18-55... ultimately it's your choice. Think about it... :)

it might be more beneficial to get a wide-angle lens and a fast telephoto prime :devil: