Which lens to buy for my Canon 550D for my upcoming Japan Trip???

Tchow

Aug 13, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I need to seek for your advice for which type of lenses to buy for my upcoming trip to Japan in March. I would like to take photos of the night view of Tokyo Tower, street views of Japan and landscapes as well. Currently, I'm using the kit lens 18-55mm. I was told by my friends that I should buy the 17-55 f2.8 which is sufficient for the trip. Oh well, there are some who says that the kit lens is sufficient.

Normally, besides taking photos of landscape photos, I would love to take photos of my 1 year old. So, is 17-55 f2.8 suitable for potraits as well??

I'm alright with third party lenses....

Haiz... Damn confused right now..

Need advice badly.

Thanks!!!!

Nah. Use your kit lens. Bring a tripod.

TS, you appear to be clueless on your buying or what you can do with the lens. It would be a good idea to know what exactly you are buying ?? I second Rashkae, use the kit lens. Night scenery get a tripod. :)

Yeah another vote for a tripod and your 18-55 is good enough for landscapes n street stuffs. Unless u wanna add a 50 f1.8 for low light stuffs.

Kit lens is sufficient, you can follow the advice of the bros above, get a tripod (if u dun have) and a fast cheap prime like 50 1.8 :thumbsup:

Kit lens is sufficient, you can follow the advice of the bros above, get a tripod (if u dun have) and a fast cheap prime like 50 1.8 :thumbsup:

and gals! :p

15-85 is a good lens...

if you can afford the 17-55, why not?

Just stick with the kit lens. IF you require longer zoom for your scenery....can consider 55-250 (2nd hand ard $250, check out B&S) which complements 18-55 quite well.

Night Scenery = Low ISO, Small Aperture (min F8 >) and Long shutter speed (Turn off IS/VR).

So just make sure you bring your tripod for the Night Scenery and you will be fine. More importantly enjoy the trip and shooting :)

Bad idea, his pocket will become much lighter after the trip.

oh no... totally misunderstood.. :sweat: ok, sorry for OT.. :sweat:

Kit lens, 50mm for low light/indoor, and a good light TRIPOD

Thanks for the advices!!! Meanwhile I would just take the kit lens for my Japan Trip. :) Most probably, I would have to see what do actually do I intend to shoot and from there, I will know which lens to buy.

If you intend to take pictures in the dark or see the nightlife, you will appreciate the 17-55 f/2.8 capabilities.

btw... meaning turning off IS when putting the camera on the tripod rt ?

Is 1/4000 enough or bulb for night scenery shots ? The longer the better right since want to keep ISO n F8 or F11..

thanks!

Just stick with the kit lens. IF you require longer zoom for your scenery....can consider 55-250 (2nd hand ard $250, check out B&S) which complements 18-55 quite well.

Night Scenery = Low ISO, Small Aperture (min F8 >) and Long shutter speed (Turn off IS/VR).

So just make sure you bring your tripod for the Night Scenery and you will be fine. More importantly enjoy the trip and shooting :)

Not to forget cable/wireless shutter release to reduce camera shake :)

I brought my 550D with the 18-55mm kit lens plus 50mm f1.4 to my Italy trip a couple of months ago... 90% of the time i was using the 18-55mm, the 50mm f1.4 was mostly for portrait shots in the evening/setting sun... but i must say my favourite photos from the trip were taken with the 50mm f1.4 lens wide open.

Love the background blurring and subject isolation capabilities of the 50mm f1.4 lens. :)