which lens to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narcosis

Jul 13, 2008
Hi all, will be travelling to Thailand in a couple of weeks but duno which lens to bring (18-55mm or 55-200mm)? Cam bag not enuff space for two lens but if wan, tink still can pack it in as well but gotta be careful when taking things out. The last time i went i brought the 55-200mm along but some pics i can't take cos the distance too near..any advice?

What kind of pictures do you intend to take? In large cities (e.g. Singapore) I'd pack a 18-55 over a longer lens. I'd pack both, but if I really have to choose one of the two, the 18-55 comes with me.

Bring both ?

You haven seen what many of us lug along for ( phtog ) trips. :bsmilie:
If I really have to choose between the two, i would preferentially get the 18-55mm for my kind of shooting

Ryan

if i had to choose, i'd bring the 18-55 and leave the 55-200 behind

but the 55-200 is not that heavy and if you think you are going to use it, then buy a bigger bag

Both lenses are small and light enough to bring on trips without much hindrance. You should get a bigger bag instead. If not, just bring the 18-55.

Hi all, will be travelling to Thailand in a couple of weeks but duno which lens to bring (18-55mm or 55-200mm)? Cam bag not enuff space for two lens but if wan, tink still can pack it in as well but gotta be careful when taking things out. The last time i went i brought the 55-200mm along but some pics i can't take cos the distance too near..any advice?

I feel you have answered your own question.

You own a DSLR, the idea of having more then one lens and carrying more one lens around compared to a PnS is already a given situation. Upgrade to a bigger bag or get get a new zoom lens that can cover a wide angle of 18mm and still give abit more telephoto range like the Nikkor 18mm-135mm or 18mm-200mm. You want to keep to your small bag and keep everything to a minimum...then just be mentally prepare to miss certain shots and be happy with what you could shoot with what lens you decide to bring...no use laminating about it when you are there walking about. It just spoils your day thinking about it.

I think for MOST of us in the hobby at the very least, we will bring whatever we could so we don't miss out on any opportunity shot that comes our way(especially to places we rarely get to go) and that usually mean lens that can carry as wide and far a focal length as possible. Two lens can easily do that.... unless we already invested in a lens that cover those length like those two I mention above....then just the one lens is good enough.

I would bring all my lens to where ever I go. You will never know which situation you will be in. It would be heavy but worth it.

Ideally would be both, but if you can only bring one, then go for the 18-55mm. But 55mm may be too short at times.

hmm..thanks for the advice..i tink i noe what i should do..:)

Bring along both lens will be a better option.
If you dont want to buy a bigger bag now...
May be you can consider to get a lens pouch instead.:think:

But look at the long run.. is still wise to invest into a bigger bag...:nono:
At least you can put other barang barang too...
I just invested a bigger back pack and I'm happy with it.:angel:

Another suggestion. Trade in both lens and get a 18-200. :)
Hmm..any idea if trade in both how much more would i have to pay roughly (n where)..heard the 18-200mm is good for travel but some problems here and there while shooting izzit..?
:dunno:

Hi Narcosis

You can search thru the Buy/Sell Nikon Equipment for a gauge of how much used equipments are quoted / sold.

As for first hand prices you can check this thread :
Nikon Price Guide

I am not sure what problems you heard about the 18-200mm :dunno: The price ?

Ryan

Think this way, You can jolly well walk a few more steps or 10m forward to gain the 55-200mm reach, but you can't possible get the 18mm (27mm) reach just by stepping backward.

Another suggestion. Trade in both lens and get a 18-200. :)

:thumbsup:

Listen to this guy i think a lot of people will also agree to him. :sweatsm:

Think this way, You can jolly well walk a few more steps or 10m forward to gain the 55-200mm reach, but you can't possible get the 18mm (27mm) reach just by stepping backward.

It's not quite that straightforward. There are times when you cannot step forward any more, and your view can be quite different (you do not get subject isolation, compression of distance, etc.)

I guess the TS has 4 options now, listed in increasing cost:

1. Bring 18-55mm
2. Bring both lenses in existing bag
3. Buy bigger bag and bring both lenses
4. Buy 18-200mm

I'd go for (3) - a good bag is very useful.

If there was strictly no way to bring both, I would go wide over tele anyday ... unless your shooting style is all close-up snipes from a distance.

You guys are great..thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.