Which lens should i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus6998

Mar 31, 2009
Hi I am newbies... I am planning to buy either 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM or 24-70mm f2.8L USM.
Actually I am fond of 24-70mm f.2.8L USM but considering that I am new to photography.. I might need the IS feature of the 17-55mm f2.8.

What do you guys think? I never use both lens before... :dunno:

BTW, price is not an issue here.. but still cannot afford to buy both lens :bsmilie:

What camera body are you using as they are not interchange on all canon bodies. :)

Oh yea.. I using Canon 40D. not planning to upgrade anytime soon..:)

Do you really need a wide angle lens? What's wrong with your kit lens? Why do you *need* to buy a new lens?

And why do you think IS is needed if you're "new" to photography?

IS? for such a short lens? haha if its me I"ll use the 17 for landscape and 24 for portraits

what do u intent to shoot?

TS, maybe you can rent those lenses of your interest before making that purchase? Renting cost say few tens bucks while buying can set you off quite a bit. Especially if you so decide to sell them later because its not what you wanted.

Look at our consumer's section, quite a few realiable avenues to rent them. :)

TS, the price between the 2 can fetch you a 430 flash. Have you thought about it?

Both are excellent lens in their own right. Look at what you need. If you are eventually gg FF, 24-70 would be a good choice.

As for IS... don't think so much about it. Shooting without IS trains your technique!!! At such short focal length, IS is good to have but not necessary ;)

Either way, you won't go wrong with either one of them.

Cheers ;)

Agreed with them, do not buy any until you know where you are heading to. keep to the original kit lens and decide later. Most of the time you buy and sell will make a loss.

Buy higher GB memory card, Flash light, etc... for time being.

Happy shooting.

Thanks for all your replies... from all your feedback.. I think I'll try to rent first.. then see if I really need it... actually I want to use the lens for everyday use... I mean as my main lens...
And thanks for telling me that IS is not really important for short lens... :dunno:

If it's your one and only lens, then I'd say the 17-55 is more versatile. Your mileage may vary.

have u considered tamron 17-50 F2.8? :thumbsup: as well, then u can save up the extra cash to buy ur 24-70 in the future..:devil: :bsmilie:

This is what i recommend, 18-55 IS + 24-70 F2.8L

An absurdly cheap IS lens especially 2nd hand for when you need the IS and 24-70 which is likely the most commonly seen lens for event photography.

cant go wrong. IS is pretty useful if you are on uneven ground or hands keep shaking. Takes a while to learn the techniques.

Last edited:
This is what i recommend, 18-55 IS + 24-70 F2.8L

An absurdly cheap IS lens especially 2nd hand for when you need the IS and 24-70 which is likely the most commonly seen lens for event photography.

cant go wrong. IS is pretty useful if you are on uneven ground or hands keep shaking. Takes a while to learn the techniques.

Um. Isn't it much more economical just to get a 17-55 f/2.8 IS?

Hi I am newbies... I am planning to buy either 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM or 24-70mm f2.8L USM.
Actually I am fond of 24-70mm f.2.8L USM but considering that I am new to photography.. I might need the IS feature of the 17-55mm f2.8.

What do you guys think? I never use both lens before... :dunno:

BTW, price is not an issue here.. but still cannot afford to buy both lens :bsmilie:

buy both! buy more! BBBB! buy bigger dry cabinet too!

buy both! buy more! BBBB! buy bigger dry cabinet too!

Haah... Dry Cabinet... one more thing to add to my list.. but I don't dare to ask whether I need it or not :sweat:, because I already read the thread about it somewhere in CS.. :D

Thanks again, anyway.. if anybody still has some inputs pls do so...

Status
Not open for further replies.