which lens should i get with the nikon D7100?

chercm

Apr 13, 2005
Pasir Ris
anyone can advice ?

Fireworks photography , landscape photography and some general photo shots

anyone can advice ?

Fireworks photography , landscape photography and some general photo shots

Have you gotten the camera yet? If not, just buy one with the kit lens. It should be enough for most use. As for general photo shots... can you define in further detail, what do you mean by general photo shots?

It really depends which one you need. If you have no idea, start with tge kit lens.

How much is that ?
It's the kit lens, it is included into the package if you buy the complete kit (hence the name). Best starting point if you have no clue.
All your purposes can be done with this lens. I would advice to start with landscape and leave the fireworks for later.

Have you gotten the camera yet? If not, just buy one with the kit lens. It should be enough for most use. As for general photo shots... can you define in further detail, what do you mean by general photo shots?

like some macro photo taking

It's the kit lens, it is included into the package if you buy the complete kit (hence the name). Best starting point if you have no clue.
All your purposes can be done with this lens. I would advice to start with landscape and leave the fireworks for later.

what i plan is to get the kit lens and Tokina 11-16mm wide angle lens, what do you think ?

For macro you need a macro lens or you have to use closeup filters or extension tubes. Tokina 116 is good match with the kit lens.

For the same combo , is it good enough for taking fireworks ?

For the same combo , is it good enough for taking fireworks ?

You can use almost any lens to take fireworks. The key is not the lens selection, but the know how...

Like what mod daredevil had mentioned, for macro shot, you need a macro lens, or closeup filter or extension tube. And might I add, there are a couple of other ways to take macro shots too - reverse lens technique and adding another lens in reverse to your lens.

P1010011.JPG

IMG_6291.JPG

IMG_6285.JPG

Obviously, the easiest was to buy a dedicated macro lens... and you get to retain AF and focusing to infinity.

And if you wanted to take fireworks, 18-55mm lens is good enough... even a 300mm lens can be used, as well as a superwide angle 10-22mm lens. It all depend on your composition and what you want to show. Frankly... I would still stick with, use the kit lens that come with the camera. That is a great lens to start with - small, light and produce good image quality as well as pretty effective VR.

Macro is not "general photo shots", it is a very specific genre with specific purpose and equipment.
Are you by any chance assuming that simply putting on a macro lens will give you macro shots as what you see here in the forum? If it were so easy then putting on a pilot's uniform should make you able to fly airplanes, right?
Lenses are only part of the equation. The largest part are knowledge, skills, patience and other factors that have nothing to do with your camera and lens. Some say, any picture is about 20% equipment and 80% knowledge, skills. I would suggest you keep the equipment 'short and sexy' (kit lens or maybe add the UWA) and you invest heavily into the knowledge and skills portion. Books are there, online tutorials are there in abundance and local workshops offer hands-on training with instructor.
In addition, have a look at the usual picture websites and check for pictures taken with kit lenses. You'll be amazed what is possible ..

There is no one standalone lens that can do general photo shooting cum occasional macro (1:1) cum occasional ultra wide angle (when travelling).

Know what you want, know what you need, know how to achieve it.

Not trying to be blunt. When you enter the world of interchangeable lenses, you should know that there is no 1 lens fits all methodology.

If you really want sth that can do what you have mentioned, u shld have considered a advance compact camera which can probably give you wide to moderate tele, with macro function or the ability to attach macro accessories.

I pair my D7100 with 35mm prime & 18-200mm tele, it's affordable & fun with those lenses. I use both to shoot landscape & some general shoot. Not really into macro though, close up maybe.

One should know what they want 1st b4 make a decision want this & that, if not you will end up rack it inside your dry cabinet underutilized.

cheers

I had a sigma 50-150 f2.8 and a tamron 17-50 f2.8 as walkabout lens. Served me very well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk