which lens shall i bring for my Taiwan holiday trip ?

darkies

Dec 2, 2013
Singapore
can anyone advise ?
currently i had :
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm f1.8

please advice(using olympus Pen EPL6)

Depends on what you want to shoot.

I'll actually just bring the prime for most stuff, and the 14-42 for landscapes/architecture

Bring everything, since you're new to photography. Everyone here will have no idea of your favorite focal lengths, aperture or subjects. Use this trip to explore what you like best.

And since M4/3 lenses are so small and light, you won't feel the weight

Unfortunately it goes down to individual preference and style of shooting. I might just bring the 14-42mm and keep it that way.

Very often we would need to balance the occasional need for extra lenses against the immeasurable likelihood when you hoped you travelled lighter and carried less. YMMV

Ryan

Probably just the 14-42 and the 45mm...

Depends on what you want to take. If you are taking pictures of the night market and street photos, do consider getting the 17mm f1.8 or the 20mm f1.7 primes. They will never come off your camera.

Depends on what you want to take. If you are taking pictures of the night market and street photos, do consider getting the 17mm f1.8 or the 20mm f1.7 primes. They will never come off your camera.

currently don't the mention prime len

as suggest i will bring :
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm f1.8 and M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R

Yeah good idea. I really like the 14-42 kit lens. It works really well on my wife's EPL5. When I first started out I had difficulty understanding why I needed something in the 40-150mm range so I'm guessing you wouldnt need it until later on when you develop further as a photographer.

Enjoy your trip.

Bring everything. They are m4/3 lenses, not big and clumsy like some of the DSLR lenses. don't go on a trip and regret not bringing something.

I went on a Japan trip with 12-50mm, 40-150mm, 25mm and some manual lenses... although in the end, I only used the 12-50mm lens but didn't regret bringing so many lenses and all these lenses fitted nicely into my small camera bag.

thank ..by the way may i know below three lens
are good for what type of photo shoot?

thank ..by the way may i know below three lens
are good for what type of photo shoot?

Depend on yourself. I use the 12-50 for

1) Landscape
2) Candid
3) Portrait
4) close-up (not macro)

Uses the 40-150mm

1) To shoot at target too far away
2) Birding (if I manage to creep close enough for the 300mm)
3) Some landscape

As for your 45mm... I don't have one, but it was an equivalent of 90mm in length... I guess it would make a pretty good portrait lens.

Bring all 3 lenses. The tele-zoom weighs only around 190gm!

For my recent trip to TW, was quite satisfied with just a 12-35. Was a regular chillax/sightseeing trip with friends. Don't think I would have had time to bother with changing lenses, or even decide in a split second which lens to use. That's one factor taken out of the equation, so I could just focus on framing/subject. How it usually works for me when I travel with friends: Walk > see something interesting > stop briefly > CLICK! > Walk quickly (or run, depending on how long I waited for the 'moment') to catch up with friends > REPEAT ;p

For my recent trip to TW, was quite satisfied with just a 12-35. Was a regular chillax/sightseeing trip with friends. Don't think I would have had time to bother with changing lenses, or even decide in a split second which lens to use. That's one factor taken out of the equation, so I could just focus on framing/subject. How it usually works for me when I travel with friends: Walk > see something interesting > stop briefly > CLICK! > Walk quickly (or run, depending on how long I waited for the 'moment') to catch up with friends > REPEAT ;p
so which mean bring 14-42mm shall be enough ?

Last edited:
If ur main purpose is take photos at ur trip, bring all as long u able packed all into ur bags.
If going with family/friends, just bring the kit lens. Maybe a prime as spare if u worry.
So u can enjoy the trip more, dun have worry abt which lens to use, and time change lenses etc.
More impt bring more batteries & extra memory cards.

When I went for my tw trip 2 yrs back, only bring my canon S90.

so which mean bring 14-42mm shall be enough ?

It would not be easy for anyone to advise you on what lenses is enough. My advise was still... bring all your lenses, since they are small and light, really no hassle at all.

I'm flying to Taiwan for leisure in a couple more hours, and i have a 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.4 with me. The equivalent of your system would be the 14-42mm.

I do not intend to take any landscapes with my dSLR, so no 14-24mm for me.

okies will be trying my lense this saturday afternoon

bring all the lens. you will never know when u need them