Which lens i should buy for my travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cykew

May 31, 2007
A newbie to DSLR camera (Canon EOS 350D).
Should i buy a long range telephoto zoom lens (75-300mm) or (17-50mm) f2.8 for my travel photography?

definitely 17-50. You can hardly shoot much with just a 75-300

then again, the telephoto xoom is quite compact and not that heavy (<700gm) that u cud just throw it into your bag in case of need

EFS 17-55 if the $ is not an issue

or

get the 17-85

The 28 - 300 mmL f3.5 - 5.6 if money is not an issue. With this one lens you can cover almost every range you are going to need on your travel.

The 28 - 300 mmL f3.5 - 5.6 if money is not an issue. With this one lens you can cover almost every range you are going to need on your travel.

I'd have to disagree with you. 28mm is pretty narrow for most wide landscapes. TS is using a 1.6x crop camera.

18-200mm would be my vote :) but canon does not have it~~ lens 3 party lens. Maybe whey will announce it soon with the 40D

I'd suggest EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. I've been using it for travelling.

:bsmilie: So many suggestions, i bet the TS is confused...

For wide only, so many different opinions..

To TS:

Try to know what focal length you like to shoot at most...

Or browse thru galleries (flicker, pbase) find out the focal length of the images you like most.

Anyway you do have the kit lens right? make full use of it ;)

You will need wide angle for travelling, so 17mm (or wider) is indispensable and as for tele it is up to you.

I'd suggest EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. I've been using it for travelling.

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is not that wide for 350D (1.6 crop factor).
Get Tammy 17-50mm or Canon 17-50mm if money is not an issue

I will opt for wide lens rather than tele if I am traveling. If I can only bring 1 lens... I will go for 10-22. Most of the time, I know I need to walk alot during trips. I will be contented with just 10-22 and 50mmf1.4. Ask yourself what you will shoot most:)

agree with miniultraman...
i travel everywhere with 10-22 and 50 1.8 only >_<

Surprisingly no votes for 24-105mm f/4 L.. though it does not get that wide (38mm-168mm on a 1.6x body), but you get a L quality in that range..

But it is expensive.. I will agree on the 10-22mm & 50/1.7 recommendation.

regards
Andy

check around see if you can find sigma 18-200mm Image Stablizer version.....

17-85 is good.I used that for my korea trip:) though got some CA in some pics esp in bright sunny days;p

Been looking for a 18-200 equivalent for Canon myself that is both light weight and having a good coverage... was at AP asking the question... basically Canon does not have it. The sales recommended Tamron AF 18-250 mm /F3.5-6.3 instead. Seems to be a relatively cheap and good option. You may want to check out the reviews on the net.

If you don't want the hassle to keep switching lens when you travel; I hate changing lens while traveling... by the time you change, the scene/subject is gone.... and you risk the foreign particles getting into the sensor and you can't get the sensor cleaned while traveling...I would think 24-105/F4 gives a good coverage and F4 is a plus for museum, indoor, cloudy, etc.. while traveling.

Sigma 17-70 is a good lens for travelling. Light, affordable and sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.