Which lens good for wedding photography??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyma1177

Apr 12, 2009
Calling all experts. Need your advise

I wanna to capture the happiest moment for a good friend of mine on his big day. Which Lens should I be using for actual day wedding photography? I am currently using a canon 40D with 17-85mm f4 USM lens.

the good wedding lens can be very expensive as thus are all prime which give u the clarity images with the touch of arty feel. but i will suggest you shoot with what u have first and slowly build from there.

I shot with 16-35mm when i started shooting wedding but now move to all primes, like many korkor and jiejie here. ;)

Hi,

Newbie here. Someone told me that lens should fit its purpose, so I assume I good portrait lens is in order. Maybe a 50mm F1.4 or an F1.8 lens. The faster the better they say. I can only dream holding a 50mm F1.0 L lens from Canon.

A Tele-Zoom perhaps? a 70-200 F2.8 or faster? budget permits.

Welcome to the ever expanding world of BBB...:lovegrin:

16-35mm and prime are both in my consideration. Is it true that Prime lens have a edge over 16-35mm as they have lower aperture that can provide a better photo effect.

However, due to the crop factor, a 50mm lens on a 40D body will give a 80mm effect. To have a 50mm effect, I will need to get a Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM or even better with Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM. As the L lens have a lower aperature.

Does it make sense to get a 28mm prime lens to have a 50mm effect?
Or should I just go with a 50mm prime lens or a 16-35mm lens?

:confused:

16-35mm and prime are both in my consideration. Is it true that Prime lens have a edge over 16-35mm as they have lower aperture that can provide a better photo effect.

However, due to the crop factor, a 50mm lens on a 40D body will give a 80mm effect. To have a 50mm effect, I will need to get a Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM or even better with Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM. As the L lens have a lower aperature.

Does it make sense to get a 28mm prime lens to have a 50mm effect?
Or should I just go with a 50mm prime lens or a 16-35mm lens?

:confused:

if you are seriously into wedding. invest in FF.

I wanna to capture the happiest moment for a good friend of mine on his big day. Which Lens should I be using for actual day wedding photography? I am currently using a canon 40D with 17-85mm f4 USM lens.

well, I once ask the question b4 lor...

it all depend on your shooting style...diff ppl have their own shoot style, so it gonna be hard to adv u dis.

For me, I would prefer to have 17-40mm on 1cam and 85mm on another cam.:)

85 f1.8 ok for wedding or 70-200 f2.8 can cover the range? albeit in a larger heavier package?

85 f1.8 ok for wedding or 70-200 f2.8 can cover the range? albeit in a larger heavier package?

Kinda long for normal usage.

It depends on your intention and how you like to shoot anyway.

as normal ,u need to cover wide and tele.So use both of them.17-40 and 70-200 good combination,if u have budget get 16-35 and 70-200 f2.8 is.:)
just my 2 cents

Like others have posted already, the type and style of shots Will help to determine the lens options. Is the TS going to be the main photographer or someone helping to take additional photos?

I.e. If the TS will be taking a lot of group photos, this will require a wider lens as I will guess, there will be space constraints for zooming with the feet. 50 mm on the 1.6x body will probably be too long for this purpose.

If you're new to wedding photography, having less equipement may be better as more may just lead to more confusion on a busy / anticipate & react kind of day.

Oh, external flash would be important.

Probably 1 zoom + 2 primes. As mention earlier that external flash unit is very impt.
40D + 17-85 IS USM + 50 f1.8 + 85 f1.8 + 580EX II should be sufficient.
Would recommend that you get a bounce card for indoor shots.
Prepare extra batteries and memory card.

Take note the external needs to rest between intervals during shots, so do not trigger happy till the flash is exhausted and miss the impt shots.

Good luck~ :)

As a wedding photographer, I have more than 10 lenses at my disposal and each lens has its own usage. I have never bought all my lenses to a shoot before. By asking what lenses is good is like asking what is good for lunch/dinner?

Only you, yourself now know what you want to eat, where to get the best food is akin to asking what lens is good for wedding. There is no real answer. If you don't what is good to eat, try everything before deciding what you like.

a very simple answer to it, is the most expensive food the best? yes? no? do yourself some test, try what you have, see what you like, ask lots of questions, how to achieve it, slowly you know what you want, if you want a quick solution, use whatever you have or buy the very best, most expensive.

Last edited:
it depends on your style. 200mm might be a bit too long.. on a cropped sensor you need a real fast shutter speed to avoid camera shake. can the camera sync on the flash?
morning in the house, 200mm is not useful at all. at night in the ballroom, it may be too dark to hold on the shutter speed.. if you really gonna utilise the 200mm.

Thanks all for your feedback, I have a clearly picture now. :)

depends on lighting. most of the time, an 18-200 actually works. just bring extra batteries and memory cards.

Since its your good friend big day, do your best in terms of equipment. Do rent one if budget allows, at least one prime lens. A 580 flash is a far better option over 430 for wedding.

Your 17-85 is a good range for you to try out since this will be your 1st wedding photography. I would say that an external flash may be more important if it is mostly indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.