Which Lens for wedding Photography...? help...

Ayie Lostarz

Jan 17, 2011
Hi aLL...

i am new in dslr but i dunno which lens suit most for wedding photograpy..? currently using the kit lens 18-105mm.. getting the 55mm-200mm for zooming.

any suggesting for affortable wide angle lens as the sales guy @ sim lim asked me to buy a wide angle convertor after trying it i have to zoom in then i would get the wide angle shot..

so i need suggestion for a short range shooting..? what would be the best..?

If you shoot the indoor wedding banquet, an autofocus fast prime like 35mm f1.8G and 50mm f1.4 are very crucial. You don't need so much of zoom length. The big zoom lenses are normally slow and can't perform well in low light and fast actions.

for DX, personally i think 17-55mm f2.8 would be the best but it's cost around 2k.

anyway, for weddings, if u don't have enough budget, 18-105mm (with external flash) will be more than enough and for wide angle. u can add in a prime 35mm 1.8g for low light (300++) if u want.

i never use tele zoom eg. 55-200, 70-200, yet for weddings, so i'm not too sure about it.

btw, there only 2 reputable shops (if i'm not wrong) at sim lim, the rest avoid at all cost.

check the reputable shops here.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6767315#post6767315

Last edited:
If you shoot the indoor wedding banquet, an autofocus fast prime like 35mm f1.8G and 50mm f1.4 are very crucial. You don't need so much of zoom length. The big zoom lenses are normally slow and can't perform well in low light and fast actions.

thanks...i am shooting for malay wedding for most of the time.. usually it's either indoor at home or outdoor under the void deck as most common malay weddings are held... suggestion please...?

get a proper wide angle lens if u want a wide angle shoot.

dun listen to those salesmen trying to sell you a cheapo wide angle converter for a premium! These converters will degrades your photo quality. They are not really converters but rather filters. This means adding additional glass over your lens.

get a proper wide angle lens if u want a wide angle shoot.

dun listen to those salesmen trying to sell you a cheapo wide angle converter for a premium!

eventually i am fool enough to believe as they say alot people buy.. so i bought it already.. now it'sa no use for me....so upset as i bought alot items from the shop but they con me in this way.. never coming back to them...

eventually i am fool enough to believe as they say alot people buy.. so i bought it already.. now it'sa no use for me....so upset as i bought alot items from the shop but they con me in this way.. never coming back to them...

if u r local, u should know.

if u r local, u should know.

i was new that point of time and did'nt know there such forum for help.. now i learn my lesson... they even con me saying sunblizt speedlite is good enough for me.. when i was shooting at a wedding the flash was shaky.. now i only buy nikon product.. too scare to buy 3rd party items..

Always.. and i mean always.. do your research before going to buy anything....

1) Research for the good, the bad, and the ugly stores.

2) Research on what items you wanna buy. Check out the RRP for these items(if any). which leads to point 3.

3) Ask around for quotations(best is get an e-quote or email). This way you can compare with the RRP so that you know if they are selling it cheaper. And you also know which store will be giving you the best price.

4) Remember to check if GST is included.

5) Remember to check if got local(NOT STORE) warranty.

6) If a store tries to sell you an item which you didnt research on then dun buy. GO back home and research first. If you gonna be spending your hard earned cash, it doesnt matter that you have to spend a few cents extra on travel to and fro.

I hope i didnt miss out on anything.

Always.. and i mean always.. do your research before going to buy anything....

1) Research for the good, the bad, and the ugly stores.

2) Research on what items you wanna buy. Check out the RRP for these items(if any). which leads to point 3.

3) Ask around for quotations(best is get an e-quote or email). This way you can compare with the RRP so that you know if they are selling it cheaper. And you also know which store will be giving you the best price.

4) Remember to check if GST is included.

5) Remember to check if got local(NOT STORE) warranty.

6) If a store tries to sell you an item which you didnt research on then dun buy. GO back home and research first. If you gonna be spending your hard earned cash, it doesnt matter that you have to spend a few cents extra on travel to and fro.

I hope i didnt miss out on anything.

..thanks...

will take note next time... haiyoh...

i was new that point of time and did'nt know there such forum for help.. now i learn my lesson... they even con me saying sunblizt speedlite is good enough for me.. when i was shooting at a wedding the flash was shaky.. now i only buy nikon product.. too scare to buy 3rd party items..

not all 3rd party are bad.

u need to know when to use such third party products.

for events, u will need a higher end model of flash if u are getting those third party, cos they often have faster refresh rate. so if u are firing a few shots, the flash will go along as well.

most ppl here uses third party flash for strobing (off shoe) purpose... :)

I would suggest you to get the fast prime Nikon 35mm f1.8G DX or Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM if you on budget. Get closed to the subject and shoot at alternative angle(different from the usual face-to-face) with the right composition. You will get the cinematic feel and sharper image from the prime lens :)
But sometimes you can't get closed to the subject. You have to change to a longer lens. This is the trade off. You either change lens or get a 2nd body mounted with a longer lens.

thanks...i am shooting for malay wedding for most of the time.. usually it's either indoor at home or outdoor under the void deck as most common malay weddings are held... suggestion please...?

Last edited:
not all 3rd party are bad.

u need to know when to use such third party products.

for events, u will need a higher end model of flash if u are getting those third party, cos they often have faster refresh rate. so if u are firing a few shots, the flash will go along as well.

most ppl here uses third party flash for strobing (off shoe) purpose... :)

so i guess sb-700 i good enough for wedding shoot...?

SB700 is not enough for high ceiling ballroom and church. Why not go for SB900(the flagship of Nikon flash) straightaway which is suitable for all type of events and situations? No need to upgrade again next time. The price difference is not much too.

HI Ayie, are you the main photographer? or jus shoot for friend

HI Ayie, are you the main photographer? or jus shoot for friend

just shoot for a cousin... but someone wants me to shoot for her engagement event soon... so i am practicing to get perfect... why...?

since this is a one off thing, why not u rent the flash instead?

hmm.. do i need that powerfull flash for malay wedding under the void deck and at home for soleminise function...? i thought as i read the tech at nikon webside sb-700 is almost has the same power with the sb-900 accept its a cheaper and newer...