Which lens for traveling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneheart

Oct 27, 2006
West
Hi, i'm going for a backpack trip next month and was thinking if there is a need to get a wide angle lens but on tight budget.. perhaps i should get a 2nd hand.. I'm using Canon 400D and i've got the kit lens (18-55mm) and prime lens EF 50mm f/1.8. Need some advice fr u guys..

ya, scenery n landscape.. some people says the kit lens will do.. dont get lenses with too much zoom cos the quality reduce.. wat do u think

Hi, i'm going for a backpack trip next month and was thinking if there is a need to get a wide angle lens but on tight budget.. perhaps i should get a 2nd hand.. I'm using Canon 400D and i've got the kit lens (18-55mm) and prime lens EF 50mm f/1.8. Need some advice fr u guys..

18-55 is good enough mah...unless u want to go wider.then 12-24(nikon)not sure about wat canon has to offer.

for my 6 weeks of travel at the end of the year, i've bought a digimate to store pics and bringing my 24-70L, 30mm f1.4 for pasar malams, walking at night etc as i don't wanna use flash too much and i'll be borrowing a friends 16-35L for wide angles.

it seems like u've covered the mid zoom and fast lens, maybe try and get a wide too? borrow it from a friend if u can't afford it (like me)

simple. 18-200. haha, but quality wise of course poorer.

for my 6 weeks of travel at the end of the year, i've bought a digimate to store pics and bringing my 24-70L, 30mm f1.4 for pasar malams, walking at night etc as i don't wanna use flash too much and i'll be borrowing a friends 16-35L for wide angles.

it seems like u've covered the mid zoom and fast lens, maybe try and get a wide too? borrow it from a friend if u can't afford it (like me)

all my other frens just bought their slr too, no other lens.. only one fren but i think it's too ex, dun dare to borrow fr him.. ur fren lending u the L lens? wow.. is it near to a thousand dollars?

will be going KL this week too .. will be bring my 17-40, but not sure should i bring 24mm 2.8 or 50mm 1.8? and is 75-300mm and ext flash necessary? hope someone could advise too ..

sorry TS for posting in yr thread .. hope u don't mind .. ;p

all my other frens just bought their slr too, no other lens.. only one fren but i think it's too ex, dun dare to borrow fr him.. ur fren lending u the L lens? wow.. is it near to a thousand dollars?

hahah yeah he's lending it to me so i can claim the GST back for him. i'm not sure how much it is tho...around A$2k? i'm not exactly sure.

i think your 18-55 is wide enough anyway. you should be alright with that and the f1.8.

you could rent a 10-22 if you want to.
i dont think you need super wide angle lens for day-to-day usage.

thanks everyone! still hope to hear ur views..

wow.. ur fren is so generous.. either that or u r such a trustworthy fren to him.. lend such n expensive lens to u

If you want wider than 18mm I suppose you'll want to consider the EF-S 10-22mm or the Tokina 12-24mm.

Since you've no idea if you require a lens wider than the focal length of your kit lens, it would be wiser to rent.

Else just bring your kit lens along.

On a separate note, the EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 may be a good complement to your existing line up of kit lens + 50mm. Around $200-$250 used. Your total weight with the three lens + 400D should weigh about 1.2kg, which should be very manageable.

What you have is good enough.

Another option you may want to consider (for now or future upgrade) is to get the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM if you expect to shoot in low light situations - IS is a shot-saver! Of course, you can then leave your kit lens behind. ;)

I am no pro but I got my 30D a couple of months back, got the 17-85 IS kit lens and the 50 f1.8 as well. My next lens is the f70-200mm. I would not go wider since I think my kit lens is wide enough. Think your 18mm is wide enough too. Don't you feel that you don't have enough telerange? THere are many close ups that I wanted to take but my 85mm is just too limiting. Anyways, since u are on a tight budget, I'd not recommend another wide angle unless u are looking at doing fancy work with distorted perspective. Go tele. Just a thought...

I am no pro but I got my 30D a couple of months back, got the 17-85 IS kit lens and the 50 f1.8 as well. My next lens is the f70-200mm. I would not go wider since I think my kit lens is wide enough. Think your 18mm is wide enough too. Don't you feel that you don't have enough telerange? THere are many close ups that I wanted to take but my 85mm is just too limiting. Anyways, since u are on a tight budget, I'd not recommend another wide angle unless u are looking at doing fancy work with distorted perspective. Go tele. Just a thought...

Sometimes, 18mm is just not wide enough. Eg if you're close to a building or a panorama shot without using photostitch. You have to try a WA to know what you're missing. But it all depends on your shooting style.

Initially, I didn't use much of my 10-22, but the more I used it, the more I realised I do need the WA.

sigma 30mm f1.4 :thumbsup:

Using a sigma 12-24mm for my canon system. pretty satified with it, you can consider..
Here is any image taken by the nikon one which i also own.. its great as its a full frame lens.
note tt cos of crop factor, the image u see here is 18mm 35mm film equivalent. I used my canon mount piece on 5D and viola.. full frame 12mm :)

DSC2002.jpg

thanks everyone! still hope to hear ur views..

wow.. ur fren is so generous.. either that or u r such a trustworthy fren to him.. lend such n expensive lens to u

as long as ur trustworthy enough ppl will be willing to lend easily..
i have borrowed a 1D mark2 with some 600mm, 400mm, 300mm tele L lens bout a month for assignment from friend before. Of cos im usually very willing to lend them stuff as well ;)

It depends on your style. Some like to shoot ultra wide such as fish eye and 20mm. Some like to shoot at 28, 35mm. All I can suggest is to carry a lens which you are most likely to use. You don't need a fast F2.8 lens for landscape cos you are shooting mostly F16, F22 anyway! Its more useful that you carry a light lens to reduce encumbrance and a zoom, cos when you are shooting on top of a mountain, its not easy to move forward or backward several hundred meters to get that crop or magnification you want. Its not like street photography where usually many, including myself will use a prime and fast lens. Don't forget, when doing landscape, you are already carrying loads of stuff, such as tripod and your hiking gear.

During my backpack trip to India and Scotland, I carried 17-35mm and 50mm F1.4 lens. It covered all my needs. I shoot mainly landscape and street photography.

How do you know which lens you'll like or use before even going for the trip? Treat Singapore like the place you are going to. Go around and shoot and see which lens you end up using most of the time to shoot the type of pictures you are likely to shoot when you are there. Don't end up carrying whole load of equipment which you find superfluous, but worse still, take away the joy of the trip! You are going there to have fun and soak in the sights, not to be a mule and cracking your brains trying to change from 1 lens to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.